Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Holiday in Aviemore - advice needed!

(5 Posts)
Ali5 Mon 12-Feb-07 09:55:03

We are going to Aviemore late April. Does anyone have any recommendation of places to eat and things to do with 2 babies around a year old? Thanks

Muminfife Mon 12-Feb-07 11:46:28

Message withdrawn

tortoiseSHELL Mon 12-Feb-07 11:53:07

we're going beginning of April - go every year! Things we like doing;

Highland Wildlife Centre, go south on A9 about 10 miles, really lovely.
Black Isle Wildlife Centre - more of a 'farm' type place, just beyond Inverness.
Strathspey steam railway - starts in Aviemore
Funicular railway up Cairngorm - you can get lunch in the Ptarmigan restaurant. If there's still ski-ing available you can get out at the top, otherwise they operate a closed system, and you stay in the Ptarmigan visitor centre.
Landmark visitor centre - just north on the A9
Heather centre , just north of Aviemore - basically a garden centre, but lovely cafe.
Ospreys at Boat of Garten - end of April there might be some chicks
Dalwhinnie distillery
Dalfaber country club have a swimming pool and a soft play - we get membership for the week we go as part of the package where we stay, think you can do it independently, otherwise there's a swimming pool at the hotel just as you go up the ski road.
Walks in the woods - Loch an Eilein (sp?) is lovely, also the Rothiemurchus Estate has some nice walks.
Reindeer centre halfway up the ski road - they bring reindeer down from the mountains for little ones, and you can go up to the mountains to see the herd, although that might be more difficult with babies.

I'll keep thinking of what we normally do! There are loads of cafes and restaurants in Aviemore - it's very geared towards visitors!

Ali5 Mon 12-Feb-07 12:33:28

Thanks for the info guys, think we're going to have a good time and I'll enjoy the animals even if ds doesn't!

hellywobs Sun 25-Feb-07 18:28:13

it's a fantastic area and the Scots are wonderful with kids

the Strathspey steam railway is really good and some of the distilleries have lovely coffee shops - eg Glen Moray at Elgin or Glenfiddich.

I love it up there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now