Talk

Advanced search

Do you tip Hotel cleaners - and if so how much?

(10 Posts)
rookiemere Mon 31-Oct-16 18:16:12

Following on from another thread, just keen to get peoples view on this.

I do tip when staying in a hotel - but not a huge amount, maybe a pound/euro/couple of dollars each day.

Do you tip every day or at the end, or not at all and how much ?

ThisIsStartingToBoreMe Mon 31-Oct-16 18:19:55

Yes I always tip house keeping and toilet attendants. Any one who does that for a living must need the money

About £5 for a weekend more for the week

Scribblegirl Mon 31-Oct-16 18:22:09

I tip at the end of the holiday - usually a few coins so £3/4? If I'm abroad I often just leave all my loose currency as it's useful to get rid of it!

HermioneWeasley Mon 31-Oct-16 18:23:06

Not in the uk. In the US I tip a couple of dollars each day. On holiday in Europe, I tend to do a bigger amount at the end as I've tried leaving daily amounts and it's never taken.

rookiemere Mon 31-Oct-16 18:25:24

All useful to know and good to hear the amounts - as I thought I was perhaps undertipping, but was torn between leaving something, but already having paid for the room, not wanting to leave too much.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 02-Nov-16 11:47:54

I've never tipped a hotel cleaner. Didn't realise people did, is that a thing?

chemenger Wed 02-Nov-16 11:55:26

It is expected in the US but I don't do it in the UK.

Peach9876 Wed 02-Nov-16 12:06:50

I don't think we've ever left a tip... UK too.

SienaSun Wed 02-Nov-16 22:27:05

Only in countries with a tipping culture - North America, Caribbean etc but I hate it. Employers should pay a living wage.

NecklessMumster Wed 02-Nov-16 22:32:31

I leave a tip in UK hotels...my loose change which I leave behind in the room, after I read an article about how little they get paid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now