Talk

Advanced search

Urgh summer holidays 2017

(28 Posts)
MozzchopsThirty Sun 30-Oct-16 19:16:26

I'm normally the queen of holiday bargains, but next summer is just soooo expensive

My options are:

Usual hotel in Italy all inclusive £2970 (3)

Some other European dross (menorca, Ibiza etc) £3600 AI (3)

Hong Kong airbnb £3300 (4) but will need to buy food and travel/excursions when there

I normally like my holidays to come in at £2-2.5k

Where am I going wrong this year?

OnyK Sun 30-Oct-16 20:54:00

Brexit!
That's our budget too and flights are so much more expensive. I usually book early, but I'm hanging in and hoping the pound recovers.

bibbitybobbityyhat Sun 30-Oct-16 20:56:18

What does the (3) (3) and (4) signify?

MissMillament Sun 30-Oct-16 20:58:42

It is the impact of the weak pound - I have spent quite a bit of half-term researching too and cannot believe how pricey everything is.

Coughingchildren5 Sun 30-Oct-16 21:01:07

Brexit. We think we will be staying home next summer and take short trips into Europe instead. Frustrating isn't it!

MozzchopsThirty Sun 30-Oct-16 21:07:24

Sorry it would just be me, and ds1 and ds2 if we went to Italy so 3 of us

If we go to Hong Kong then dd (20) will come making us 4

So everyone else is in the same boat then? Bloody brexit angry
Thought I was just losing my expert holiday finding skills

Ilove Sun 30-Oct-16 21:10:30

I've booked us 2 weeks in cyprus, for 5 of us, SC, inc flights and car hire in a stunning villa in a resort our friends have used for years, for £1500... in the summer holidays

Try blue air web for flights

MozzchopsThirty Sun 30-Oct-16 21:57:21

I don't fancy blue air hmm

But amazing price on your villa, flight and car
Did you book it all through them?

allegretto Sun 30-Oct-16 22:00:28

Where do you usually go in Italy? Could you find somewhere cheaper in the same area?

exLtEveDallas Sun 30-Oct-16 22:07:31

Egypt? Obviously not Sharm but there are some lovely places in and around Hurghada (that is perfectly safe). Makadi Bay is really nice, with an old fashioned feel rather than the 'rich tourist' vibe. Coming up as 2.5/3K for 2 adults, 1 child.

But if you don't fancy that then Malta/Portugal seem in your price range for AI

Godotsarrived Sun 30-Oct-16 22:07:53

EasyJet flights to Croatia have gone up by about 25 % year on year and with the weak pound my accommodation is also about 25% more expensive. Very irritated but still going to Croatia. smile

Ilove Mon 31-Oct-16 19:15:43

No, i booked everything separately

Why not blue air? Our friends have used them many times

MozzchopsThirty Mon 31-Oct-16 20:51:27

They're a Romanian airline that use 737 aircraft
I'm a bit of a plane nerd and fussy with who I fly with

BarbaraofSeville Wed 02-Nov-16 11:54:30

When are you going? Unless your job restricts you to the school holidays, it would be a lot cheaper and still lovely weather to go in June/early July or very late August/September.

Price increases will be a combination of reduced demand in places like Egypt/Turkey/Tunisia making more people go to Europe and Brexit/exchange rate issues.

What do you mean by Ibiza/Menorca being dross. Both are beautiful islands that offer lovely holidays (as long as you don't visit any kiddy drunk resorts).

MozzchopsThirty Wed 02-Nov-16 21:55:34

Unfortunately I'm limited to summer holidays with the children, I won't take them out in term time

I agree Minorca an Ibiza are lovely and I've been to both, but I won't pay £3700 to go all inclusive to Ibiza when I could go half way round the world at a lesser cost

BarbaraofSeville Wed 02-Nov-16 22:22:02

Sorry for some reason I thought your younger DCs were preschoolers. I think I got confused by the 3s and 4s despite you saying that was the number of people travelling.

MozzchopsThirty Thu 03-Nov-16 21:45:57

I think I've finally found it!!! smile

Hoping to book our usual in lake Garda but just do 11 nights

Cherryminx Fri 04-Nov-16 16:58:44

As you seem knowledgeable on here about flying in summer hols I wondered if I could ask you whether I should book our flights now. We have been invited to a wedding in Greece(on an island) in next summer school hols and when I looked at Easyjet flights they were about £350 each - does that sound right? Will they only get more expensive?

MozzchopsThirty Fri 04-Nov-16 18:32:29

Yes cherry they will, they sell seats in price blocks so the first block on sale will be far cheaper than the last block

Always worth checking Skyscanner or kayak to compare flights smile

I did book my holiday today, 11nights, all inclusive in lake Garda for £2400 hurrah

dingit Fri 04-Nov-16 18:37:31

Ooh,we are going to lake Garda? Whereabouts are you going?

MozzchopsThirty Fri 04-Nov-16 18:45:57

Peschiera, it's our 4th visit, we love it

Cherryminx Fri 04-Nov-16 19:03:20

Thanks mozzy. There are a few things on internet about flight proces going down if routes aren't popular but my gut feeling is that that doesn't apply to school hols. Have looked at Skyscanner but as we are not in London we don't have many options and the savings are so small we might as well go from our local airport to reduce the hassle.

dingit Fri 04-Nov-16 20:00:59

Yes we loved it there. This year we are going further north to torbole.

MozzchopsThirty Fri 04-Nov-16 20:55:50

Have a fab time, let me know what it's like up there

dingit Fri 04-Nov-16 21:22:39

Can't wait. Just the small matter of GCSEs and a levels to get through first smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now