Talk

Advanced search

Flying with a toddler and baby by myself!! Advice please...

(21 Posts)
TTToddlers Fri 28-Oct-16 15:44:52

I'll be getting on a plane next week with my 20-month-old DD and 5-month-old DS by myself! shock Hubby will be meeting us on the other side. Granted it's not a hugely long flight - 4 hours (it'll probably feel like 40!) but I am feeling pretty apprehensive ....
I have selected a middle seat for my toddler and the baby will be on my lap on the aisle seat. (God help the poor soul stuck in the window seat!) It'll be a late afternoon/evening flight so will cross into the baby's bedtime (Arrrgh ...). I plan to only have a backpack with me and the single buggy.
ANY advice or suggestions will be most appreciated! Thank you!

MrsMarigold Fri 28-Oct-16 16:03:57

I did 13 hours with my two, same age gap, DD was one and DS was just over two on my own. They both got sick (raging fevets of 39.5 degrees and vomiting) on the flight but other people were so kind. My advice is let your DD watch as much Peppa Pig or PostmanPat as she likes. It's a one-off. Take spare clothes for everyone including yourself, mine puked on me and I had spare stuff for them but not for myself. Also a few muslins. Ask the airline stewards, if they will help if you need the loo or to change a nappy, they can hold one child while you deal with the other. the loos are too small for three people. Have snacks and Ella's kitchen pouches in case delayed, spare formula in portions if DS not breastfed those premixed things in the cartons are handy and you can take them on board in hand luggage. Under no circumstances allow the eldest to eat fish before or during the flight fishy vomit is the worst. Take a few extra nappies in case you are delayed or DC inexplicably do four poos. Good luck you'll be fine. I took.a double buggy and they loaded it onto the plane at the last minute, it was a lifesaver when walking round the airport as it's tiring carrying one or expecting the eldest to walk. Good luck.

TTToddlers Fri 28-Oct-16 18:13:04

Thank you MrsMarigold! Great suggestion about the spare clothes for myself. Gosh - your experience sounds horrific ... but you must have gained so much confidence having gone through it. The fact that you're posting on here to tell the tale makes me feel better! grin

Artandco Fri 28-Oct-16 18:17:05

We did this a lot. Baby in sling, 1 year old in pram. Take rucksack with stuff so your hands free.

At 20 months mine liked those little mr men books, and some snacks.

stuckinny Fri 28-Oct-16 18:22:52

Give yourself lots of time at the airport so that you're not flustered and stressed. Take your time getting through security etc. People will just have to wait behind you.
I've found the airline staff to be really helpful when you travel on your own with children. There is also usually one disabled toilet on the plane - it's worth finding out which it is so you have more room.
I find the calmer I am when I travel the calmer DC is.
Good luck. I'm sure everything will be fine.

Malermalergoni Fri 28-Oct-16 18:44:17

Hi I have had to fly a lot with my kids alone, it's really a matter of being as organized as you can in advance.
A wrap type sling for the baby is handy. A shoulder bag with spare t-shirt for you, change of clothes for the baby, loads of mini packs of chocolate buttons! (Lots of snacks are in teeny bags for Halloween if you're in the uk, these are a godsend). babybel cheese, satsumas, crackers, raw food bars, can all be bought cheaply in advance and are fine to go through security. If you need any help at any time, ask a friendly looking stranger smile People are always happy to assist with folding a buggy, grabbing your luggage from the lockers, etc.
sachets of infant paracetamol and nurofen (again in shoulder bag) are handy to avoid super screamy ear popping problems in kids (happens often, be prepared).
A well charged tablet/I phone is of course very handy.
But really, don't worry -it'll be totally fine... Just think that you're not really alone. The kindness of strangers when I've travelled with kids has utterly astounded me. I always try to pay it back if I travel alone.

TTToddlers Fri 28-Oct-16 19:22:59

Thank you all so much for the supportive words and suggestions! Yes I have already bought small packets of snacks and I plan to keep the baby in his sling. I will bring the iPad but DD likes to watch kiddie youtube mostly, which she won't be able to do while we're flying, so I'm trying to to find some good toddler apps. Any suggestions?
Never thought about the disabled toilets stuckinny, thank you, will definitely check!
Malermalergoni you're absolutely right, there will be lots of people to help. I want to not care what anyone else is thinking but in reality it's hard not to fear being judged when stuck in a small space with 200 other people! blush

CottonSock Fri 28-Oct-16 19:28:08

Ask when you check in if there are any spare seats. The person next to you will probably jump to move anyway 😁 then ask again when getting on. Often been lucky like this

oldlaundbooth Fri 28-Oct-16 19:30:15

Who are you flying with?

Do you access to a bassinet? If so, use it!

There's different types too, one that's bouncy, and one that's like a Norwegian baby box.

CottonSock Fri 28-Oct-16 19:30:37

You can download programmes in bbc I player. That's the best option as free. Or purchase from google play or apple. Peppa pig drawing quite good, cbeebies story time, bubble pop games are about the easiest to get them started.

PotteringAlong Fri 28-Oct-16 19:31:25

Go onto iplayer and you can download programs onto the iPad so she can watch them in the air.

oldlaundbooth Fri 28-Oct-16 19:31:59

Download Little Baby Bum films onto your tablet : lifesaver.

Accept wine when they offer it grin

Malermalergoni Fri 28-Oct-16 19:41:13

Even if your baby screams the plane down, and the toddler throws an epic tantrum in the aisle, there'll still be only a handful of people intolerant enough to moan. Many, many, more will be looking for ways to help. As I'm sure you would, if you saw a fellow mum struggling smile
On the flight I was on yesterday (half term) there were so many children on board there was not a single moment without one being noisy. Nobody batted an eyelid. And there were loads of mums and kids travelling alone, there was quite a sense of camaraderie between the mums ;)

TTToddlers Fri 28-Oct-16 19:59:57

CottonSock I'm counting on there being a spare seat for WindowSeatPerson to escape to! grin and fab, I will check out Peppa Pig drawing, she's just gotten into PP recently.
DD loves Little Baby Bum oldlaundbooth so I will definitely download some of those, although she likes to scroll and gets frustrated when she can't change it (OMG such 1st world problems)! Yup wine is a great solution! We're flying American Airlines and not in a bulkhead seat, so no bassinet. But so much positivity here - I definitely feel better, thank you all. It's only a few hours, what's the worst that can happen?!
Malermalergoni I hope everyone is like you were on my flight!!

Cakescakescakes Fri 28-Oct-16 20:05:51

The Sago Mini apps are superb for toddlers. Lovely graphics, intuitive to use and just lovely all round. Often do bundles of them for about £7. We have them all! Bizarrely my boys love the Babies one the best. Forest Flyer is nice too.

TTToddlers Fri 28-Oct-16 20:32:29

Oooh thanks Cakescakescakes, I've not come across the Babies one before, but Forest flyer is popular in our house too, so will look it up!

Cakescakescakes Fri 28-Oct-16 20:55:40

We have about 10 of them! They're addictive smile

Tessbess123 Tue 01-Nov-16 00:20:52

Hi,
Are you flying out of the UK? If so, have you checked that the car seat you will need for your 20 month old is airline compliant?

Any child between the age of 6 months and 23 months needs to travel in a car seat if they have been bought their own seat. It has to be forward facing, with shoulder, lap and crotch straps.

myheadsamess Tue 01-Nov-16 00:25:29

I hope I'm wrong but have you checked you can fly 1 adult & 2 under 2yrs? I know I couldn't ( As in airline said no) and so had to take my parents along too!

Hhmm thinking about it this was 10yrs ago....... so maybe my info is out of date blush sorry!

lamprey42 Tue 01-Nov-16 00:30:15

What tessbess said. I think you need a car seat if under two - I had to have one when I flew with my twins. Also worth phoning head office of airline to confirm you are flying with two infants alone - my check in desk tried to tell me not allowed but were put right when they called. Sometimes they don't bring buggy to plane door and you have to pick up with luggage but if you look pitiful enough people normally help carry (thankfully!). A sling or two very worth while. Snacks etc for plane and unlimited videos. Good luck!

TTToddlers Tue 01-Nov-16 03:28:18

That was totally my concern too - whether I could even travel with 2 under 2s by myself but called the airline to book and it's all fine. I'm flying in the States. Also spoke to them about the car seat as you're absolutely right Tessbess123 BA required us to bring one. But actually it ended up being just for take off and landing. I was with hubby then so DD just sat on his lap during this time and in the normal plane seat otherwise. We lugged around a heavy car seat for nothing as it ended up not fitting despite saying it did! I've triple checked this time and apparently it'll be fine with the Amsafe system. Never used it before - fingers crossed! So many things to consider now ... I remember the good old times when I used to rock up to the airport with 45min to go having checked in online and travelling with only hand luggage!grin Flight is on Wed ... Thanks for all the fantastic advice and support! What a lovely bunch you all are.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now