Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

London tube tickets- help!!!

(14 Posts)
Lenazabaglione Mon 24-Oct-16 16:45:10

Travelling by train to London tomorrow and will then be travelling by tube between zones 1 and 2. Two adults, DD age 15 and DS age 7. Will be catching a late train home the same day.

Cannot fathom the tickets now!! When I lived in London years ago, it was just a one day travelcard. Could anyone explain the tube tickets to me??? confusedconfusedconfused

Thanks

2014newme Mon 24-Oct-16 16:46:25

Tap in and tap out with your contactless card. That's it. Kids are free

LIZS Mon 24-Oct-16 16:48:14

Can you buy travel cards from the station which include the train plus tube/bus.

pepperpot99 Mon 24-Oct-16 16:49:16

kids aren't free - they pay a discounted fee per journey (70 or 80 pence ).

RaisinGirls Mon 24-Oct-16 16:51:16

The 15 year old will have to pay reduced fare - its only under 11 that travel free.

Contactless for the adults and read this link for details on how to sort the ticket for your 15 year old. You'll have to queue and speak to someone at the ticket desk but it's easy to sort

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/travel-for-under-18s/travelling-with-children

EllieMentry Mon 24-Oct-16 16:54:47

Your older child won't be free, but can get a discount. Your younger child should be free. More info here.

EllieMentry Mon 24-Oct-16 16:55:59

Xpost! My link is the same as Raisin's.

dungandbother Mon 24-Oct-16 16:56:52

Older child needs a ticket. Buy at the tube station
Younger one is free just go to the manned barrier or family barrier (wide one) they let you through. You must touch in and out tho with a contactless card.
Every station in and every station out.

Ask when you buy your train ticket if
You can add the travel card aspect.

Thornrose Mon 24-Oct-16 16:57:49

I agree definitely contactless. It's convenient, no queuing or topping up. Also there is a cap so you won't pay more than a daily travel card.

Thornrose Mon 24-Oct-16 16:59:46

You will probably be better off getting an Oyster for child that pays. Daily tickets are really expensive in comparison.

Lenazabaglione Mon 24-Oct-16 17:04:29

Ooh, thank you for quick replies. I was completely confused between the Oyster card and the contactless.

I've already bought the train tickets, so not sure I can add the tube ones now.

I haven't lived in London since 1997, so thanks for all your help!

titchy Mon 24-Oct-16 17:04:51

Just buy a travelcard form your home station, assuming you're near enough. Cheaper than train plusbseparate zone 1 and 2 travelcard.

Lenazabaglione Mon 24-Oct-16 18:19:38

No, titchy, we're traveling down from Birmingham, but thanks.

norayitwasyou Mon 24-Oct-16 21:19:53

We're off to London this Friday for the weekend and from navigating round the TfL site I think the one day Travelcard is the best option for the family (4 of us). Is it possible to buy them at any Tube station?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now