Going on holiday alone

(11 Posts)
TooManyButtons Sat 22-Oct-16 15:32:04

I'm 39. My only DD is at uni having a fab time. Now is the time I'd planned to go on lovely holidays - unfortunately I didn't plan to be alone, but hey ho, here I am, spinster of the parish grin.

I'm just coming to the end of a week off work, where I've achieved precisely nothing, apart from much box set watching. So I've decided that unless I want to waste the rest of my annual leave, I need to get my head around the idea of going on holiday, alone.

Convince me this is a good idea, and I won't spend the entire time sat sobbing alone in my room!

Sleepingstarsmommy Sat 22-Oct-16 21:31:01

I've holidayed alone.. I was early 30s and all my friends either had the time but no money or the money but no time.

I booked a package holiday (wasnt brave enough to do 'proper' travelling independently) to a destination where I could learn to scuba dive which I'd always wanted to do. Tailoring the holiday around an activity / hobby meant I was too busy to be lonely..

Actually met my now husband on that trip but wouldn't hesitate about holidaying alone again should the opportunity arise.. was amazing being able to please myself and do things / go places without having to compromise to accommodate someone else's wishes.

Try it!! Book somewhere you've always dreamt of exploring or plan some activities you've always wanted to try. Take a few books / kindle that you've been meaning to read and enjoy the opportunity to do so in beautiful surroundings.. I wish I could but holidays for me now revolve around ensuring my hyperactive toddler doesn't drown/ climb over the balcony.. Travelling by yourself means it really is your holiday and you can do exactly what you please!! What's not to love??

TooManyButtons Sat 22-Oct-16 23:04:52

I'm definitely not brave enough to do 'proper' travelling! I've been thinking about a cruise which seems the best way of seeing different places in luxurious surroundings, with loads of food and drink grin

Alli91 Fri 28-Oct-16 22:01:55

Wow! It's a good opportunity to spend a good time and meet new people. What do you wants from this holidays? Relaxation, new connection or something fun? You can make two in one: have fun and make new friendship. Why not to be a guest in somebody house? You take advantages of hospitality service like couchsurfing or swap-house.com or search for something else, there is a mainstream idea for traveling. You can find a free or very cheap accomodation with interesting people. I tried it two times, it was very emotional vacation.

FinallyHere Fri 28-Oct-16 22:15:29

Absolutely do it, it is great. No one to consider but your self. I'd suggest a long weekend city break by yourself, just to get into the swing of it. Work out somewhere you have always wanted to see and go for it. I tend to have my main meal at lunchtime, anywhere and continue that on holiday. Up reasonably early, with an object in mind. Lovely long lunch somewhere, mostly people watching but with kindle/iPad to give options. Then take it easy afternoon and early ish to bed ready for the next day.

The other way is to pick an activity, walking and yoga are my favourites but a bit of google on whatever floats your boat will turn up lots of possibilities. This gives you some interaction with others and something in common, too.

Most importantly, you have only yourself to please, do whatever you want. Bliss.

TooManyButtons Sat 29-Oct-16 22:44:31

I'm really tempted. I've seen a reasonably priced cruise in december when coincidentally I've got the week off work! I'm so fed up at the moment and need something to look forward to. Dare I book it??

MyLlamasGoneBananas Sat 29-Oct-16 22:50:03

I'm considering going alone. my circumstances mean I'm on my own a lot and I've just realised after having cancer it's stupid to wait for other people to be free to go because it rarely happens.
I want to see certain places in Europe but list my confidence driving in this country let alone abroad. So I've been looking at coach holidays as I reckon there will at least be some social interaction. I am wondering g though if in my 40s I'll be the youngest one there.
I'd say go for it just work out what your comfortable with alone first. I'm sure once you go once alone the next time won't be so daunting.
If you do this please let us know how it goes.

HarrietVane99 Sat 29-Oct-16 22:53:40

I agree a city break or an activity holiday are great for single travellers.

City break is good for spending time on your own, activity for meeting new people. Somewhere you're all accommodated in a college or other communal facility is good, everyone eats together and sits in the lounge or bar afterwards and you don't have to worry about finding your way back to your hotel late in the evening. I've made lifelong friends at residential schools.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 29-Oct-16 23:02:04

Go for it, you'll be on a table with other people for dinner, then if you go to any classes or excursions you might strike up a friendship. We've been on several cruises and always enjoyed them

BolivarAtasco Sat 29-Oct-16 23:57:09

I've been on holiday alone to south east Asia and a few European cities and really enjoyed it. There were always lots of other lone travellers and I never once felt lonely, awkward or threatened.

Go for it. One of the nice things about travelling alone is that you can do whatever suits you when you want to. I always took a book to dinner or to sit in a bar so I had something to occupy me but often other people would turn up and chat or I'd end up talking to someone on the next table. A work colleague who is single has been to loads of different places and she says it gives her the opportunity to do all the things she wants to go and do.

budgiegirl Wed 02-Nov-16 21:33:32

Go for it! I think a cruise is a great idea - some ships even have cabins specially for solo travellers - for instance, the Norwegian Epic - which also organises social functions for solos. So you can easily meet other solo passengers, meet for dinner, tours etc if you want to

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now