Talk

Advanced search

Christmas holiday destinations?

(17 Posts)
Summerisdone Wed 19-Oct-16 12:47:56

Hi, I'm looking into going abroad next Christmas with my son who will be just turned 3 then. Any suggestions as to where is a good destination to go for the holiday period with a young child?
I'm a single parent so not wanting it to be too expensive, although I am prepared to pay more than average price because of the time I want to go away.
I don't mind short or long haul flights either, but would prefer somewhere with an All Inclusive option if possible as in the long run it often works out cheaper due to needing less spending money

mrsmortis Wed 19-Oct-16 13:20:25

How long are you looking at going for? Do you actually want to be away for christmas or just before/after?

Summerisdone Wed 19-Oct-16 13:36:43

I'd prefer to actually be away for Christmas day and I'm looking between 7-14 days

caramelgirl Wed 19-Oct-16 13:43:12

We have done Essaouira in Morocco (3 year old) -lovely.
Siesta Key in Florida (1 year old, 5 year old)- also lovely.
This year will be Hill Stations in India (3 year old and 7 year old) .
Pre kids we did Cape Town- fab and Super cheap at the time.
And Vietnam and Laos- lovely
I would think Canary Islands would be pretty good for Christmas- tho' you might have to book flights early?
Or somewhere like Hungary would probably be beautiful with all the thermal baths and snow. I love Budapest. Just worth checking if anything would be on for 25th if they celebrate on the 24th.
I hope you have a lovely Christmas. We always leave a note for FC telling him where to find is. That way he also remembers to leave the main gift (and something to distract energetic kids whilst jetlagged parents snooze on sofa) in our actual house!

caramelgirl Wed 19-Oct-16 13:44:55

Oops, sorry, clearly not many of my suggestions will hit the spot. Didn't see the AI request. Maybe look into Florida for that? Siesta Key is absolutely beautiful and has weekly drum circle which is magical and incredible beach.

Summerisdone Wed 19-Oct-16 14:06:05

Caramelgirl some decent suggestions there, I'm not looking exclusively at AI, it's just that it's often coming out not much dearer compared to how much I'd have to save extra in spending money if I don't. I will however definitely consider Budapest, I could imagine it would be a beautiful place over Christmas especially.
Thanks for the suggestions

mrsmortis Wed 19-Oct-16 15:42:01

How about a Safari? We went to South Africa in Jan a few years ago and it was amazing.

NicknameUsed Wed 19-Oct-16 23:46:21

Can you even take a 3 year old on a safari? Most of them have minimum age restrictions.

I think the problem will be that cheap and Christmas aren't often found in the same sentence.

mouldycheesefan Thu 20-Oct-16 07:51:32

Christmas is a horrendously expensive everywhere. Combined with needing to go long haul for sun. Canaries are your best bet for cheaper but still will be expensive and not that warm.
Or how about uk? Cottage in Scotland?
Centreparcs? Still expensive but less travel costs

mouldycheesefan Thu 20-Oct-16 07:52:24

Safari with a three year old would be tricky and safari at Xmas, eye wateringly expensive.

mrsmortis Thu 20-Oct-16 08:50:51

There was a family with preschool children there when we were there which is why I mentioned it. I think that they may have been 'locals' though (i.e. from Cape Town not abroad)

Summerisdone Thu 20-Oct-16 09:19:42

I definitely understand that going over Christmas is going to be expensive, what I was meaning though is that I couldn't afford to do ridiculously expensive like Florida which is pricing up around £4-5k before I've even thought of park tickets and spending money.
I've been having a look around though and I'm feeling either Cuba or Budapest, very different holidays from each other but I could imagine both being wonderful for Christmas.
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions

mouldycheesefan Thu 20-Oct-16 10:40:22

I have been to Budapest for new year. It was very very cold. There aren't a lot of indoor attractions. So if you do go there choose a hotel with a pool or other indoor stuff that would appeal to a three year old. Also check what shuts down over Xmas. I think the thermal baths are for adults they are a bit like old fashioned sanitoriums, check whether there is a child friendly one but I think you are better off with a hotel pool.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 20-Oct-16 10:42:11

If you went to the Canaries and were still there on the evening of the 5th January there is the 3 kings parade where the three kings ride through the streets on camels throwing sweets out into the crowd, which would be magical for a 3 YO.

Wouldn't Budapest be very very cold?

caramelgirl Wed 26-Oct-16 14:30:01

Ooh, we did Cuba just before Christmas a decade or so ago. That was fantastic. Maybe a week AI (we stayed in Guardalavaca) and then consider home stays- we caught a Blue Bus for Super cheap and went to Trinidad- lovely musical city and nice to wander around. Home stay hosts crowd around the bus stop awaiting the arrival of tourists. And then we went to Havana- tho' the state hotels there were unjustifiably $$$.
Good luck. I hope that you love wherever you go! So fab for children to have memories of special family Christmases wherever they are.

Hersetta427 Thu 27-Oct-16 09:46:32

We have done a few Xmas holidays (three times to the Caribbean, twice to the Maldives and 3 times to Egypt).

I think the best value will still be Hurghada in Egypt or cape verde. In the Caribbean you could get the Dom rep for a little more but prics at Xmas are horrific. I think you are still looking at 3k for the 2 of you.

plugitinsilly Thu 27-Oct-16 09:49:05

You can get some great ski deals over Xmas and NY if you look/book now ish. Family Ski get rave reviews and have a sale on for that time now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now