Talk

Advanced search

New York New York

(18 Posts)
talcam Fri 09-Feb-07 09:46:33

Tis my 30th birthday today and DH has just suprised me with tickets to NY , OMG super excited .
We are going without kids so only there for 2.5 days, any advice on where we MUST go in such a short space of time.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

talcam Fri 09-Feb-07 09:50:56

Sorry I have been vv of various friends over the years going can't believe I am really going . Sorry don't mean to rub it in .

talcam Fri 09-Feb-07 10:05:15

I think touristy things. They are maybe naff but everyone goes there for a reason, right? I don't know there is so much that I can't even begin to think about it. Too excited

jura Fri 09-Feb-07 10:11:56

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Fri 09-Feb-07 10:12:34

My brother tells me that there is a restaurant under the Brooklyn Bridge which looks straight over to Manhattan. He said it is an absolute MUST - not particularly cheap, but amazing. His new girlfriend lives in NY, and he said this was the best place he has been. Don't know the name of it, but he said it's really easy to find. He rode the Subway to Brooklyn, and he said come out and the restaurant is under the Bridge facing Manhattan.

vv BTW!

talcam Fri 09-Feb-07 10:16:58

I think we will try and do loads too, there is always the flight without children to relax on isn't there?
Also going to see Mamma Mia at winter garden theatre on sat night is there a good restaurant near there?

PoppiesMum Fri 09-Feb-07 10:21:14

I found we got up REALLY early when we went (due to jet lag) so make the most of it and get out there first thing, enjoy a HUGE NY breakfast and go see

Central Park, Tiffanys, Empire State, Bloomingdales, Metroplitan Museum, Statten Island ferry and Ellis Island.

You'll be surprised how much you can cram into a day when you're awake and raring to go at 6am! Honest! {grin]

Enjoy! vv

talcam Fri 09-Feb-07 18:49:55

Yes also being used to getting up at a ridiculously early hour and getting little sleep generally has to help us cram in as much as possible. Bring on the jet lag

paulaplumpbottom Fri 09-Feb-07 20:14:37

Skip Bloomingdales and Macy's go straight to Barney's. FAO Shwartz for treats for the kids. You must have drinks at the Four Seasons.

Skribble Fri 09-Feb-07 21:13:06

I would take the ferry out to statue of liberty, if short on time don't waste time queuing to climb it.

Agree go up Empire state just before dusk as you get the day time veiw then stay for the night time veiws.

Book a broadway show.

Use the metro to get around quickly.

Really decide ahead what your priorities are to make the most of the time. Decide on what you have always wanted to see or do, some people have to shop, some want to skate in Central Park, some its the museums.

If you have the money splash out on a helicopter tour.

JoshandJamie Fri 09-Feb-07 22:15:58

Go to Pravda - a fab bar underground with lots of different types of vodka here

Balthazar and Pastis (both sister restaurants of this bar) are fab as is Mercer Kitchen in Soho.

Haven't lived there since end 2002 so hope these reviews are still good.

motheroftwoboys Tue 13-Feb-07 13:57:23

Went at New Year and had a fab time. Where are you staying? I think you mean the River Cafe under Brooklyn Bridge - book up as soon as you can, like now. You can't go up the Empire State at the moment. Staten Island ferry is great but best thing is the helicopter ride which gives you a fantastic over-view in a much shorter time. We loved the hop on hop off bus service. Buy a 48 hour ticket for all the loops. The hotel we stayed in - Beekman Tower on 1st and 49th (near the UN) has a cocktail bar/restaurant with the most fantastic views on the top floor. We took our two boys - 16 and 15 - for their first visit - we just didn't want to come home. I seriously could move there tomorrow!

pirategirl Tue 13-Feb-07 14:08:14

HI my friend lives near NYC, she took her 8 yr old to Empire state, and they also went to Dillons or Dylans Candy store too, which was fun. Think Charlie and the Chocolate factory!!

talcam Tue 13-Feb-07 21:10:56

Why cant you go upp the empire state will it still be closed in May?
We are staying in Millenium UN Plaza, just right next to the UN HQ.
Good tip about Staten island ferry I was thinking of that but also a helicopter trip and I see your point about it being the same views.
Also someone has recommended a bar that revolves around but can't remember the name of it can someone help with that?

motheroftwoboys Thu 22-Feb-07 12:34:17

Just read this and realised my own typo!! sorry!! It is the Statue of Liberty that is closed atm not the Empire State which is very much open. Also consider the Top of the Rock at the Rockerfeller Centre, not so high but the queues normally shorter.

swedishmum Fri 23-Feb-07 14:25:21

The restaurant under Brooklyn Bridge is The River Cafe - menu is $85 I think - not huge amounts but fantastic, and the view is amazing. It's on a pontoon there. Get a table by the window.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now