Immunisations for Thailand

(12 Posts)
UnreasonableBehaviour Thu 13-Oct-16 00:48:45

I can't find anything definitive on the web so I was wondering does anyone have knowledge of immunisations needed for travelling to Thailand? I'm hoping to go in 4 weeks so I need to get to GP ASAP.

LetitiaCropleysCookbook Thu 13-Oct-16 01:24:47

Gap year ds found that the practice nurse who gave them their jabs was v. knowledgeable about the vaccinations needed. Thailand was one of the countries they went to. I can't remember everything they had, but I know they opted for the rabies vaccination.

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:51:08

Hep A for definite (transmitted through contaminated food) hep B is suggested but is transferred by blood/sex so might not be needed if you aren't planning on getting backstreet tattoo! I always recommend getting it though in case you end up needing hospital treatment as it can be transmitted by badly sterilised needles there too. Apart from that you will need your tetnus/tb booster and consider malaria tablets depending on where you are going...though most of Thailand is malaria free.

The only other vaccines you will be offered are Japanese encephalitis and rabies but personally I didn't think them necessary..unless you are traveling to very remote and rural areas. Let me know if you need any more info

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:52:31

Hep vaccines areally several doses so you are already cutting it tight so make your go appt asap.... you may just have to start the program but get the final vaccine on your return

ScarletBegonia1234 Thu 13-Oct-16 08:53:24

Sorry for typos!

adogcalledbert Thu 13-Oct-16 08:54:48

It's very dependant on where you're going, length of trip and what you planning on doing.
I'd make an appointment with your Practice Nurse.

specialsubject Thu 13-Oct-16 11:13:54

polio, typhoid, Hep A, says the linked website from gov.uk.

hep B - only if aid worker or exchanging body fluids. Don't get tattooed.

rabies - stay away from all mammals. No monkey petting! Rabies vaccine gives you more time to get to a clinic, but unless you are really off the beaten track you should be ok. Naturally make sure you have full travel insurance.

Dengue, zika and chikingunya zone so cover up and use DEET 24/7.

water not drinkable, take care with bottled water and salads. Fresh prepared street food cooked in front of you should be fine. Caution if using hotel buffets.

QueenJuggler Thu 13-Oct-16 11:22:20

One thing to watch out for - the King is seriously ill and may pass away soon. When that happens, there's likely to be a period of mourning - so if you're going on holiday, you should check what's actually open if he has died at that point. It's very likely bars, restaurants etc will have an enforced period of closure.

UnreasonableBehaviour Thu 13-Oct-16 14:25:48

Thank you all cake mumsnet beats Google every time. I called GP this morning and they said there is nothing we can do for you under 4 weeks! Ok, thank you! So I need to find a local travel clinic.

QueenJuggler I just seen on the news that he has passed away today.

QueenJuggler Thu 13-Oct-16 15:12:15

Yes - and a year of mourning has been announced, starting with 30 days of religious prayers. That almost definitely means no alcohol will be sold, and no entertainment permitted during that time - check with your tour operator what will be happening when you're there, in case lots of things are closed. I lived in Thailand for 5 years, so know what it can be like on even smaller religious holidays - this one will be the a mourning of the likes I haven't seen before. He was revered as a semi-god in Thailand, and people are distraught.

derxa Thu 13-Oct-16 15:13:15

n

PlumsGalore Thu 13-Oct-16 15:15:57

polio, typhoid, Hep A

^ - this is what we had a few years ago. Myself and DC had them all free at our local GPs. DH had to pay £18 for the same at his practice across the road.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now