Holidaying in Greece..

(15 Posts)
Starlight2345 Sat 08-Oct-16 17:26:55

I am looking at going to one of the Greek Islands next year with my DS ( will be 10) and myself.

Anyone any experience of any particular Islands ? Any particular hotels... good or bad.

I last went to Greece before I had my son so my knowledge is really out of date.

mummymeister Sat 08-Oct-16 22:26:31

we have been to crete and stayed at elounda. went to the water parks and lots of outdoor historical sites plus the usual things like water sports and walking and crazy golf! seemed like it wasn't too hectic and there was enough to do. not sure about the change in exchange rate. I didn't think Greece was that cheap but it will be worse now!

alternatively if you are both sporty have a look at oceanelements in vassiliki you can do a watersports holiday and they have a tweens club every afternoon. easy to make friends and a nice small place.

Starlight2345 Sun 09-Oct-16 21:34:54

Thank you I will take a look at both.

LearningHowToFly Sun 09-Oct-16 21:43:24

If you are after a quieter holiday we went with our DSs to Panorama Village in Lassi, Kefalonia. It's small, family run and, as the name suggests, has wonderful views. The apartments are spacious and well kept, in fact everything about it was perfect, that is if you don't mind hills! It's at the top of a very steep hill but the local supermarkets will drive you and your shopping back for free and there are cheap taxis as well. Lassi is well placed to explore the beautiful island and has a good assortment of restaurants and small shops. The capital Argostoli is only a 20 minute walk away.

witchofzog Mon 10-Oct-16 21:08:37

I went alone with my ds to The Village Resort and Water Park in Crete last year . It was amazing and we both had a fab time. The food, views, staff and pools were faultless

atticusclaw2 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:12:16

If the exchange rate stays as it is (or gets worse) then European holidays will seem very expensive. Less than one euro to the pound in some places today.

KatieScarlett Mon 10-Oct-16 21:14:29

Just booked villa in Kefalonia, literally 15 mins ago. Can't wait.

Starlight2345 Mon 10-Oct-16 21:20:15

oooh how exciting..

I just can't decide... I keep going round and round in circles..Don't want anywhere to quiet as DS is desperate to make friends.

I need a family resort but no where too exclusive ..I would rather be with down to earth people.

KatieScarlett Mon 10-Oct-16 21:24:27

Ah, we wanted quiet and pretty grin DH loves to cook so the villa kitchens got a lot of attention hmm
Sadly, grown ups only as kids at Uni and have their own holiday plans. Can't wait.

girlywhirly Wed 12-Oct-16 16:21:05

Try Pefkos, Rhodes. Lots of apartments around pools, self catering. Lovely beach, lots of cafe's, bars and restaurants, and some takeaways all within walking distance. Very popular with families and also as a wedding destination so lots of DC of varying ages. Lindos is just around the peninsula and you can walk up to the acropolis. You could get a variety of excursions and Faliraki has been cleaned up and made family friendly, I think there is a water park there. There are boat trips as well.

Starlight2345 Wed 12-Oct-16 19:30:26

Thank you Girly Whirly ..That is really helpful..I have been drained of energy with this cold so plenty time for searching

NicknameUsed Thu 13-Oct-16 08:41:49

Arillas, Corfu

Makemineacabsauv Mon 17-Oct-16 22:27:51

Roda Corfu which is lovely, raced, fab beach, my kids love it. Stallis, Elounda or Rethymnon Crete, Faliraki Rhodes (my young teens didn't like Lindos as it was too busy and tat was too expensive! They liked Faliraki (not my first choice of resort if I'm honest) as the beach was good with loads of water sports and close to waterpark and other things they liked.

Greycat11 Fri 02-Dec-16 06:15:46

If you've not already made plans maybe look at Alykanas in Zante. We stayed at the Thomson Family Life hotel. Was fab and we've booked to go back.

specialsubject Fri 02-Dec-16 16:42:35

Faliraki is one of the kiddy drunk resorts - teens may enjoy but think hard...there are only a few in greece so easy to avoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now