Talk

Advanced search

Liquids in carry on luggage

(23 Posts)
BoysRule Wed 05-Oct-16 20:04:22

I am going away for the weekend and only taking carry on luggage on the plane. I have never done this before. What do I do about toiletries? I will need to take all the usual stuff - shampoo, conditioner, face cream, deodorant etc. What can I do in terms of making sure it is under the amount and do I have to declare it at Gatwick in plastic bags?

Any top tips?

Thanks

ShinyDiscoBalls Wed 05-Oct-16 20:09:54

You can either buy those little travel size bottles that are under 100ml, or buy your toiletries in the airport once you've gone through security checks. That's what I did when I went away in August

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 05-Oct-16 20:10:15

You need to have all liquids in your carry on in 100ml containers, and in the plastic bag (30cm X 30cm I think).

If it helps, you could skip bringing it with you, and buy everything at boots in the departure area, then you aren't restricted.

StillRunningWithScissors Wed 05-Oct-16 20:10:49

Cross posted with SDB :-)

Natsku Wed 05-Oct-16 20:12:22

You need them in a sealable bag (most airports provide these) less than 100ml each and 1l in total and have the bag out of your hand luggage at security.

chocoshopoholic Wed 05-Oct-16 20:12:35

And solid shampoo doesn't class as a liquid so doesn't need to fit in the litre plastic bag that you're allowed.

I tend to have 2, one with non liquid toiletries such a solid shampoo, toothbrush so that I can squeeze everything else into the liquid one.

BoysRule Wed 05-Oct-16 20:12:48

Great, thanks. Sounds like it's best to buy it once through and put it in my bag then.

AntiHop Wed 05-Oct-16 20:18:22

Don't forget that if you buy things that are over 100ml after security, you have to throw them away when you travel back as the same restrictions will apply.

I was at Gatwick recently. The big boots at the departure lounge has loads of travel sized toiletries. So could buy everything there and still take it in your carry on luggage on the way home.

AntiHop Wed 05-Oct-16 20:20:17

Also larger high St branches of boots have travel sized stuff. There are plastic bags available at the airport.

GazingAtStars Wed 05-Oct-16 20:22:26

The airport is really expensive. You can buy a bag with little bottles in from a supermarket then decant your stuff into it or just buy travel sized bottles and put them in an appropriate sized plastic bag

BoysRule Wed 05-Oct-16 20:32:14

So if I buy travel sized toiletries with all bottles under 100ml (it doesn't matter how many I have as long as they are under 100ml) and pack them in a see through bag - I can just take it out of my bag and put it back in after security?

chocoshopoholic Wed 05-Oct-16 20:35:56

They all need to fit in a single one litre plastic bag too.

Justtrying Wed 05-Oct-16 20:42:40

All individual products 100ml or less with a max of 1l so no more than 10. In a clear sealable plastic bag of 1l capacity, 20cm square.

Make up such as foundation, mascara and lipstick count too, as does lip salve etc.

It is any liquid, gel or paste. So includes yogurt, hummus etc.

I'm flight crew and the rules apply just the same to us too. Travel and beauty samples are your friend, be aware anything may get tested at security, so I find roll on deodorant best as travel sized aerosols deplete quickly if tested often.

If you are checking a case in liquids of any size are ok.

dementedpixie Wed 05-Oct-16 20:49:45

If you are taking the toiletries with you then they need to be in bottles 100mls or less and fit in a clear plastic resealable plastic bag no larger than 20x20cm. If you buy them after security then they can be any size you like but you wouldn't be able to bring them back with you if they were over 100mls each. We often leave dregs behind anyway.

Blu Wed 05-Oct-16 20:51:29

Yes, buy travel sized bottles (superdrug have loads of mini-versions of toiletries) , or go to Superdrug or boots and buy empty little bottles and decant your stuff, pack them in one clear plastic bag, take that plastic bag out at security and put it in the tray, put it back after.

Remember that lots of make up items count as liquids, and towards your maximum 10 items: mascara, lip gloss, perfume, toothpaste, contact lens cleaner, nail varnish etc. see here

If you buy full sized items at Boots through security, you won't be able to bring them home again as foreign airports have the same restrictions. So small is best.

dementedpixie Wed 05-Oct-16 20:52:01

And it is 1 clear bag per person so you can't have multiple bags with stuff in them. A small resealable freezer bag is about the correct size and is what we use for our hand luggage liquids when we go abroad

Alwaysfrank Thu 06-Oct-16 08:11:13

Where are you getting the maximum number of items as 10 from? The government website doesn't mention that? If that's the case I'm a bit stuffed as I just made a list of 13 items: shampoo, conditioner, mousse, hairspray, toothpaste, deodorant, lens solution, foundation, mascara, liquid eyeliner, eye make up remover, cleanser and moisturiser. That's leaving out primer, lip gloss and perfume.

If they easily fit in the bag does it really matter how many? Some will be way less than 100ml containers. Do they really count?

Blu Thu 06-Oct-16 08:31:35

The 10 items might have been airline specific , always best to check airline website in addition to gvt. Or maybe I misunderstood, and it is up to 1000 mls as long as nothing is more than 100mls.

Frazzled2207 Thu 06-Oct-16 08:56:49

The 10 items is an airport specific thing though IME as long as you're fairly sensible they won't count them.
OP a sandwich bag type thing with sealable top is your best bet. I own a small clear make up bag which is perfect if you want sthg more durable.

GazingAtStars Thu 06-Oct-16 09:10:58

Take makeup remover wipes, that'll save one. My spray deodorant got tested by security

specialsubject Thu 06-Oct-16 09:37:24

Liquid, gel and paste - not just liquid. So most toiletries and makeup.

Check on airport website . excess will be confiscated, no arguing.

Yes, less than 100ml still counts.

venusinscorpio Thu 06-Oct-16 09:48:32

I used to think it was max 10 items and most of mine were small so didn't put in much. But recently I don't think that's the case, I've researched for my two last trips and there is no reference to a maximum number of items. It just has to all fit in the bag and the bag be sealable with nothing more than 100 mls. As pp said it's worth double checking the airport rules.

Makemineacabsauv Mon 17-Oct-16 22:55:07

Just come back from a week away with hand luggage only. Each passenger has one clear 20x20 bag. You can get loads in it!! Go to primark and get 3 bottles and a wee tub for Z£1 - then decant shampoo, conditioner eye into them. Comes with a wee funnel. If just a weekend pour some foundation (or biggest make up tube) into the other bottle/wee tub. prescription medicines don't need to go in the clear bag as long as they have prescription label on them - ds and I both have loads of excema creams, get trial size perfumes and buy travel size deodorant, toothpaste etc or buy in resort. Dead easy and very doable. I even had sun cream in mine and hair things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now