Talk

Advanced search

Baby led weaning - hotel food

(27 Posts)
MummySarah12345 Thu 29-Sep-16 04:13:17

Hi, my eight month old is successfully baby led weaned. He eats the same food as me and has never had pureed food. To avoid added salt, the vast majority of his food is homemade.
We are staying for two weeks in an all inclusive hotel in Spain. I am not concerned about him liking the buffet food, as he eats very well. I am, however, concerned about him exceeding the maximum recommended daily salt intake. I have emailed the hotel and they confirm that salt is added to their dishes. My baby will need more than fruit and veg to sustain him for a fortnight.
Would be grateful for any practical advice on how to feed my hungry boy without putting his health at risk through excessive salt intake??? Thanks.

pontificationcentral Thu 29-Sep-16 05:23:25

We just used fruit, veg and cheese when ds was at that point. It wasn't called blw then though, it was just called feeding a baby from the buffet...

He was still bf though. You don't say what milk he is drinking, so if he isn't bf then just make sure you have plenty of his usual for top up. He'll be fine for a fortnight. Ds basically lived on melon and cheese and he was the size of a freaking house.

milpool Thu 29-Sep-16 05:28:33

In the nicest possible way, I think you're worrying over nothing.

I would imagine there'll be plenty of fresh fruit etc to give him as well as things with added salt. Just make sure he's drinking plenty.

MummySarah12345 Thu 29-Sep-16 07:16:00

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I am still breastfeeding, but my LO has massively reduced feeds since weaning.

He does eat a surprising amount. He eats three good meals a day. His evening meals are e.g. shepherds pie, lasagne, frittata. I worry that cheese and fruit will leave him hungry and then he won't sleep well. He is very big for his age.

Thanks!

TeaBelle Thu 29-Sep-16 07:19:52

If you're massively concerned then just lean towards aelcting the least processed types options e.g. breqdt meat etc as opposed to (for example) pasta sauce which has the option for a lot of added salt. And make sure he drinks plenty

StarSpotter Thu 29-Sep-16 07:25:54

Could you make sure you buy a few things in for your room if you're worried about it? Agree with others that he'll be fine on fruit and veg and they'll be other low salt bits he can have but if you have a few oatcakes or similar with you, you might feel better. Or some cereal from the breakfast buffet?!

Ilovewineandcrisps Thu 29-Sep-16 07:27:16

Seriously overthinking this!

dementedpixie Thu 29-Sep-16 07:37:32

I think you are over thinking it. It won't matter if he has a little extra salt for 2 weeks as long as you aren't adding any extra salt to the food.

neonrainbow Thu 29-Sep-16 07:39:02

It's only 2 weeks for gods sake is not going to hurt.

ferriswheel Thu 29-Sep-16 07:41:23

I agree. Don't worry, enjoy your holiday! I would take some cereal bars from the baby aisle and maybe some Ella pouches if you are stressing. Cold meat, bread, weetabix, I'm sure you'll be fine.

LynetteScavo Thu 29-Sep-16 07:45:59

If my DC (and DH when he was growing up) can survive on MILs heavily, and I mean heavily to the point I can nearly not eat it, food with no ill effects I think your baby will be fine for two weeks.

Just make sure he gets enough water and avoid things which could be particularly salty.

Marmalade85 Thu 29-Sep-16 08:03:38

Is he PFB? What do you think will happen if he eats too much salt?

Veggiesupremeextracheese Thu 29-Sep-16 08:13:26

This is hilarious grin. Sorry op but is this for real?!

spacefrog35 Thu 29-Sep-16 08:13:40

Whilst I agree that it's only a short time & baby will be fine on fruit/veg/ meats in fairness to the OP the NHS website says:

'Babies shouldn’t eat much salt, as it isn't good for their kidneys. Don't add salt to your baby’s food and don't use stock cubes or gravy, as they're often high in salt. Remember this when you’re cooking for the family, if you plan to give the same food to your baby.'

So if you follow the guidelines as closely as possible then her concerns are quite valid.

OP you just need to avoid thing which will obviously have had a lot of salt added. Things like meats, plain veg etc should be lower in salt than stuff with sauces so I'm sure you'll find something.

Lolimax Thu 29-Sep-16 08:17:07

I don't often jump in and maybe I should keep my opinions to myself but before BLW was invented we managed to successfully feed our babies and they survived on holiday. Please relax.

MummySarah12345 Thu 29-Sep-16 09:00:55

Many thanks for all your replies. They are very reassuring. Really appreciate your time xx

Coldhandscoldheart Thu 29-Sep-16 09:07:39

Could you learn the Spanish for no salt, or no extra salt please? They might be able to do you an omelette or something you can put veg on the side of. I think I've always seen boiled eggs on breakfast buffets as well, or an egg boiler. Most butter on the continent is unsalted I have found (beurre douce in French, not sure of Spanish), so he could have a boiled egg with buttered bread/toast for breakfast. There's also almost always yoghurt and fruit at breakfast.
I want a hotel breakfast now!

MrsJayy Thu 29-Sep-16 09:10:44

Hotels buffet food usually have. a fresh cook section fish or chicken between that and other bits and pieces on offer he will be fine

mouldycheesefan Thu 29-Sep-16 09:17:50

Eggs, bread, cheese, chopped cucumber and tomatoes, yoghurt
Most all inclusive hotels have a cooking station where they make omelettes etc in the morning, grill chicken and fish fresh in the evening, so chicken or steak you can get freshly cooked, asked for no salt
Potatoes
Avocado
Chopped olives
Cereal
There will be loads of stuff he can have!

🙄 at the "successfully baby led weaned never had puree" hilarious 😂

Check what time the restaurants open though, I'd they open At 7 and your baby normally eats at 5 you may have to get some bits from the shop to tide him over

Nan0second Thu 29-Sep-16 09:18:07

2 weeks will be fine and will not cause short or long term damage to kidneys. He will love all the new flavours and textures.
You'll also find lots of eg roasted meats etc so he will easily have a balanced diet.
Enjoy!

Nan0second Thu 29-Sep-16 09:19:18

(And we were baby led weaning here too with no purée so I don't understand why people are so sensitive about you mentioning it in a food related thread)

Artandco Thu 29-Sep-16 09:25:29

Hotels buffet usually have lots of options that won't be overly salty though

Remember most cater for several nationalities so each meal will cater for many

Breakfast: boiled eggs, bread, Plain yogurt, fruit, vegetables etc. Something like a boiled egg, with some tomatoes and some fruit, with a little yogurt is plenty for an 8 month old.

Almost all will have several main meals, but usually plain items also. Or they have a section where they are making fresh omelettes/pancakes or whatever. You could easily give him a selection of random items and a small amount of main meal if worried. If he's not having it at every meal he will be fine for two weeks

Jackiebrambles Thu 29-Sep-16 09:25:40

Oh bless you, please don't worry!

Just give him a varied choice of different things from the buffet, lots of fruit and veg. I bet they will have hard boiled eggs for breakfast which will be perfect and unsalted.

If he has some extra salt for the holiday that is fine, just make sure he has lots of water and milk so he can process the salt and doesn't get dehydrated.

Jackiebrambles Thu 29-Sep-16 09:27:03

As an aside I bet he will go wild for all the delicious, flavoured food! My kids love salty stuff. I'm parent of the year me grin

LotisBlue Thu 29-Sep-16 09:28:46

We stayed at an all inclusive place in the canary islands when dd was just under one. She tried everything from the buffet, admittedly we picked things for her which would be less salty eg veg, fruit, hard boiled eggs, yoghurt, bread. She was absolutely fine, had a great time actually. It was a great opportunity for her to try lots of different things and we didn't have to clear up the mess.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now