January sun

(15 Posts)
lovelyupnorth Sun 18-Sep-16 21:38:48

Any suggestions or avoids up to £500 per person.

Dowser Mon 26-Sep-16 22:54:00

Benidorm
Avoid.

justaweeone Tue 27-Sep-16 07:36:00

Cape Verde?
https://packages.holidaypirates.com/search/results/performSearch?sg=33714670#sr=&searchId=31434740&pn=2&orderBy=price&orderByDir=asc

BarbaraofSeville Tue 27-Sep-16 08:47:39

What are you wanting other than sun?

If it's just sun, Cape Verde is probably your best bet on that budget, but I don't think there is much to do outside the hotels, so it would just be a sun/pool/food/drink/whatever entertainment the hotel has sort of holiday.

If it was me, I would go to Lanzarote. Should get at least some nice weather - not guaranteed, but should be at least mostly nice.

Lots of things to do if the weather isn't quite laying in the sun weather. Get a heated pool if swimming in the pool is important. Playa Blanca is a nice resort that's not too lively.

Nowhere is particularly clubby, but what you choose depends on what you like. It's all very well saying avoid Benidorm or Playa de las Americas, but they're both very popular resorts - lots of people like them, so you can't assume that all Mumsnetters are looking for something quieter and more authentic.

NicknameUsed Thu 29-Sep-16 22:13:41

I'm not sure you would find anywhere with really warm weather in January for £500 each. Lanzarote will be warmer than here, but not necessarily beach weather.

fuzzyduck1 Mon 10-Oct-16 10:16:49

Cape Verdi is nice but windy same with canneries but there you may get a volcano thrown in. Turkey and most of the med is hot in the day but cools down at night. Create is closed in winter. Egypt if they start flying there again if you don't mind staying in the hotel complex. Marocco is ok but watch out for beggars.

mouldycheesefan Mon 10-Oct-16 10:36:09

Not sure most of the med is hot in the day in January!

Wiltom Mon 10-Oct-16 21:11:53

Cape Verde although it can be windy as it is good for Kite surfing. Egypt is a good option.

Dowser Sat 15-Oct-16 11:19:52

Was in Benidorm Jan/ Feb . Was only about 18 . Very cool on a night. Was told it was warmer than usual.Lots of places shut.
Too many ugly high rises blocking out the sun
Lots of dodgy looking characters around after dark near the grit bars which were open. Felt very unsafe and dh had his wallet stolen in a shopping centre.
Won't be back.
I'm sure there are nicer places. Was very disappointed.

Dowser Sat 15-Oct-16 11:20:09

Brit bars

Dowser Sat 15-Oct-16 11:21:02

Would love it if you find somewhere. I have a big birthday in Feb.

specialsubject Sat 15-Oct-16 14:46:44

anywhere with a high chance of hot weather is by definition geographically located in areas that are now somewhat iffy. Tunisia, Egypt and so on. Not sure what the situation is in Morocco?

the Canaries are off Africa but their temperatures are moderated by sitting in the Atlantic.

the Med will not be that warm.

Roundtheworld1 Thu 20-Oct-16 11:28:51

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

EsmeBullfinch Thu 20-Oct-16 15:26:23

Agree that the Canary Islands are a good choice. Won't be hot but should be sunny and warm, and the sea just about nice enough to swim in. We were there at the end of November (a couple of years ago) and it was very warm.

As Roundtheworld1 says, Lanzarote has an amazing, unusual landscape. The beaches on the south side of Tenerife are lovely too.

www.clickstay.com/spain/canary-islands-canaries?size=2

Hersetta427 Thu 27-Oct-16 14:30:29

Hurghada in Egypt - good deals available for January. Weather £25-27 degrees. Gets chilly at night though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now