Talk

Advanced search

Any suggestions for northern Spain?

(10 Posts)
Floppywillow Sun 11-Sep-16 20:43:06

I am going to Northern Spain during October half term and would love some ideas of places to visit. It will be just the two of us and no children. Please help.

NicknameUsed Sun 11-Sep-16 22:19:31

I have San Sebastian on my bucket list because I am a bit of a foodie. I would want to trawl as many tapas bars as I could.

riceuten Mon 12-Sep-16 01:03:37

San Sebastian for sure. Quite expensive to stay there, though. We travelled along the Basque, Galician and Asturian coast by narrow gauge train (FEVE) and the scenery was amazing. We ended up in Galicia in La Coruna, which is definitely work a visit.

NicknameUsed Mon 12-Sep-16 07:06:05

That sounds wonderful riceuten. Definitely one to put on my bucket list.

riceuten Mon 12-Sep-16 18:36:35

La Coruna is very untouristy, and what tourists there are, are mainly Spaniards. They have an amazing aquarium there whose name eludes me - even a beach if it's warm enough. You can do a day trip to Santiago de Compostela from there, which has to be seen to be believed.

San Sebastian - you can stay in the suburbs for less than in the town.

rewardformissingmojo Mon 12-Sep-16 20:20:50

Potes, and into the Picos de Europa. Breathtaking scenery!

Floppywillow Tue 13-Sep-16 05:59:38

Thank you for all your suggestions. I shall look into them and create an itinerary.

vixsatis Tue 13-Sep-16 06:02:32

Oviedo is a lovely place. Bilbao is fun. Santillana del Mar is pretty if a bit touristy

CuppaTeaAndAJammieDodger Tue 13-Sep-16 06:08:41

Just been to San Sebastián - want to move there now! It is bloody lovely.

riceuten Tue 13-Sep-16 12:01:51

Oviedo seconded. Called in there on the way to La Coruna. Santander (the cityalso.

One thing I noticed there - a note of caution - English is not quite as commonly spoken in these parts as, say, in the south of Spain. Younger people will generally speak English, but not always older people. This came as a shock to some people I encountered. We had a delightful experience on the narrow gauge train from Bilbao to Oviedo - we were due to change trains in Santander, and had about 12 minutes time to do so. We were delayed by a deer on the track (the driver actually had to get out and shout at the herd to move !) and were running 15 minutes late as we approached Santander, thereby missing the connection. The FEVE conductor arranged for the Oviedo train to exceptionally stop at some wayside halt (and our train) just outside Santander - JUST for us - he even helped carry our bags from train to train.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now