Talk

Advanced search

Mosquito Repellent

(25 Posts)
NotAsYoungAsIWas Sat 10-Sep-16 00:48:09

What's the most effective mosquito repellent you've used?

HarrietSchulenberg Sat 10-Sep-16 00:53:32

Allegedly, the SAS use Avon Skin So Soft in mozzie-laden areas.
Not tried it on mosquitos but it is fabulous against Scottish and Welsh midges. Doesn't repel as such, more sort of "kills on contact".

Jumpandleak Sat 10-Sep-16 06:38:44

Anything with 50% deet.
Boots or Jungle Formula are my usuals.

NicknameUsed Sun 11-Sep-16 22:24:45

Anything with deet.
Autan is also a good one.

OH is a midge magnet and is allergic to mosquito bites and finds that Autan and Jungle Formula always work for him.

The key is to cover every part of exposed skin with repellent. If OH so much as misses one square inch he gets bitten.

Oh, and the Avon one doesn't work for him.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 11-Sep-16 22:29:15

Autan do a Tropical body spray if you want to go the whole hog!
I put a washable citronella wristband on the kids which supposedly lasts a week because Autan is strong stuff!

Sgtmajormummy Sun 11-Sep-16 22:41:42

This is a 10 day plug-in but you should only use it if your house is well ventilated, not air conditioned.raid night and day
Sorry, I couldn't find it in English but it's a Johnson&Johnson product.

NicknameUsed Mon 12-Sep-16 00:14:16

Wristbands only protect the wrist. Your children can't be midge magnets because they would get bitten elsewhere.

MattLegg Wed 21-Sep-16 22:45:31

I have a 16 month old.do you know if there is any age limit on using repellant?

DanniiMinogue Wed 21-Sep-16 22:48:18

I buy a spray that is 100 percent deet. There's one for your clothing and a second which is for your skin.

ThenLaterWhenItGotDark Thu 22-Sep-16 08:31:26

Both Superdrug and Wilko do a 50% deet one that is a lot cheaper than Jungle Formula but exact same ingredients. I would also get a Raid Night and Day plug in, they seem to make even more difference than the spray tbh.

(I have a bleeding house full of mozzies at the mo' and have just been and bought some more Night and Days)

SJane45S Sun 25-Sep-16 14:29:23

We went to Costa Rica last month so used a lot of repellant as I was really worried about dengue and Zika. With kids you're only supposed to use 30% deet and nothing stronger. I bought 30% deet wipes off Amazon and we used Ben's family insect repellant as well (also off Amazon). In the evenings when the Aedes (Zika/dengue mozzie) goes to sleep we used mosi-guard natural spray. On top of that (yep, I went to town!) we used the plastic spiral wrist band thingies on one arm and one ankle. My daughter didn't get a single bite in the jungle in 10 days - I had about 3 but didn't keep myself topped up so much!

travailtotravel Sun 25-Sep-16 14:39:22

Where are you going, OP? This will direct the advice.

Prideinmyplace2 Sat 27-May-17 04:13:28

I'm not a big fan of Deet as the last time we used it we all got a few bites from the mosquitoes in Thailand. I've heard that Deet can no longer be used in concentrations over 50% this year.
Fortunately my husband was recommended a natural insect repellent called Incognito that we've all used successfully - no bites - I buy it from Holland & Barrett though I've also seen it Sainsburys, Waitrose & my local health shop

rizlett Sat 27-May-17 04:14:42

Incognito natural repellent.

user1496245322 Wed 31-May-17 16:47:45

Can anybody suggest what repellant I should use when pregnant. All the information you read is so confusing and this is my first pregnancy so am nervous of everything. I have purchased the Boots Soltan sun cream with insect repellant included, is this safe?

SpicyTomatos Wed 31-May-17 17:16:06

A net is the most effective. Overnight it is the only real option.

If you need to move around then DEET, but it is not nice stuff - it melts plastic.

If it is just to prevent the annoyance of bites, so the odd one doesn't matter then I would go with the far less effective herbal stuff and be prepared to take some hits.

Prideinmyplace2 Mon 12-Jun-17 20:50:12

I've found the thread again...at last! I definitely would not use the Soltan one if I was pregnant. Incognito have brought out a natural suncream repellent that has great reviews & is rated highly from
bit.ly/2suEyto

bitofabelly Sat 05-Aug-17 18:19:14

Used Incognito in Italy...super protection...only got 1 bite in 2 weeks..on the last night when I missed spraying a tiny bit of upper arm....usually I'm eaten alive

Prideinmyplace2 Sat 05-Aug-17 22:41:12

Yes, Incognito is great stuff bitofabell can't understand why peeps slather themselves with toxic chemicals which stink & then still get bit!? I wonder if it's because they're cheaper... it's a false economy if that's the case

Prideinmyplace2 Sat 05-Aug-17 22:42:35

I read in the press that there are more mosquitoes in Italy than ever before, is that true Bit?

bitofabelly Sun 06-Aug-17 07:28:18

In Tuscany one night there were about 6 on my ceiling!!! Scream!! It was the first time I wasn't terrified being out in the evening. I rasht badly to them...giant apple sized lumps that are hot, swollen and itch like crazy. I saw loads and loads of people with bites. I sure deet works just as well. I bought 2 bottles on holidays and used them up but I sprayed myself a lot. They are 8/9euro each.

massistar Sun 06-Aug-17 14:52:33

I'm in Italy near Venice at mo and mozzies are everywhere. They bite even during the day. My usual jungle formula just isn't cutting it!

specialsubject Sun 06-Aug-17 22:29:14

Dont dick about with natural repellents in tropical places. Those natural things dengue, zika and so on arent worth it.

I have the rage at a product description that says the 30 second citronella job can prevent malaria with the aid of a mosquito net. Wow.

delilahbucket Sun 06-Aug-17 22:35:09

The only product combo that has ever worked for me is Calypso after sun with insect repellent and a Mosqui-Go plug in which kills them. Used these last year in Greece and had no bites, neither did DS. Normally I'm covered. My other half got a few as he refused to use the aftersun and stuck with the Jungle Formula roll on.

Prideinmyplace2 Mon 07-Aug-17 00:14:43

Wow, so many people using Jungle Formula getting bitten. Obviously mosquitoes built up some resistance to it!? I'll stick to natural thank you very much Specialsubject, as I too always got bit using DEET & since we've gone natural we haven't had to worry about bugs. Oh & there is no citronella listed in the Incognito insect repellent bottles we have, so I'm not sure which natural stuff you're referring to...

Bitofabelly, we brought Incognito sticks with us to Italy & they're great at smoking out bugs www.lessmosquito.com/incense-sticks.html
we also used them in our garden this afternoon with lots of insects around after the rain ceased smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now