Talk

Advanced search

Flight to Cornwall - night before or morning of wedding?

(50 Posts)
AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 12:38:02

Three DCs under 7, best friend getting married in December.

Interested in views on whether we fly to Cornwall the night before the wedding (8pm) or the morning of the wedding. Driving not an option and we've never flown with the DCs before (eldest has but he doesn't remember).

Travelling from the airport means we'll only have about half an hour to get ready before festivities (although actual ceremony is later) if we fly on the day whereas I'm worried if we go the night before the kids will be exhausted and ratty for the party the day/evening after as they might not get to sleep until midnight.

We'll fly back early evening the next day.

Leslieknope45 Tue 06-Sep-16 12:40:35

Definitely night before

blueskyinmarch Tue 06-Sep-16 12:41:29

I would always fly the night before something like this because there is always a chance the morning flight will be delayed in some way. Also if it is an early flight will the children not be more tired getting up early and travelling rather than getting there in the evening and being able to relax a bit?

Only1scoop Tue 06-Sep-16 12:43:06

Night before for sure

You need to allow for fudge factors

CMOTDibbler Tue 06-Sep-16 12:44:32

Night before

Loyly Tue 06-Sep-16 12:48:14

Night before

LIZS Tue 06-Sep-16 12:54:06

Night before. Is the wedding party at the hotel?

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 12:57:57

Really interesting everyone so agreed, thank you.

I was tending towards morning of the event (despite fear of missing it!) because they won't need to get up any earlier than normal - it will be a normal morning for them.

Change anyone's mind?
My three year olds will miss four hours sleep if we go the night before ...

Also wonder if their first flight might be more fun in the day when they can see what's going on? Really excited they will fly home over London with lights though ... Might look out for Father Christmas on a practice run.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 12:58:33

The wedding party is at the hotel and we have the place to ourselves so should be fine to put them to bed early on the night of the party.

eurochick Tue 06-Sep-16 13:15:44

Night before. Half an hour is way too tight. And flying on the day will make it a busy day for the children. Flying the night before would potentially let them lie in a bit and stay up a bit later on the day of the wedding.

flowery Tue 06-Sep-16 13:18:44

I'd do morning before.

BikeRunSki Tue 06-Sep-16 13:20:21

Before. Anything could happen to delay the flight on the day. The youngest will miss sleep for sure, but have an easy day the day of the flight and lie in in the morning. He may be sleeping less by December anyway.

80sWaistcoat Tue 06-Sep-16 13:23:04

Definitely the night before - any delays and you'll be frantic. In fact I'd try and fly and arrive earlier the day before if you could then kids have time to calm down and get a decent night's sleep.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 13:24:50

That's a really good point about the travel itself on the day being tiring - and despite the fact they are unlikely to sleep in (knowing them) and that there are two of the youngest - DTs are 3!) that may have finally won me round to booking the night before. I think it will be fun to have two mornings to explore the venue too.

Aftershock15 Tue 06-Sep-16 13:26:31

Definitely day before and have a contingency plan if that flight doesn't happen. I've had a flight from Newquay cancelled due to fog and the next flight they could offer us was 4 days away! This was summer and probably less full flights in December but still it was all a bit of a mess.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 13:27:39

Eldest has school the day before and the only available flight is 8pm after the flights in the morning. I could fly in the morning with the DTs and leave DH with DS after school but I'd love us all to be together for first flight... Maybe I'm being silly, we will all fly back together.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 13:29:03

Thanks Aftershock I did see a warning about flights being cancelled sometimes. I guess the train could be back up but only if we know the day before.

idontlikealdi Tue 06-Sep-16 13:30:18

Absolutley the night before. Doesnt take much of a delay to mean you'd miss the whole thing.

chipsandpeas Tue 06-Sep-16 13:33:14

Def go the night before why take the chance of delayed or cancelled flight

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 06-Sep-16 13:34:50

Another for night before. If you're flying in to Newquay the flights can be delayed sometimes by bad weather and December and Cornwall = inclement weather.

Good luck if you're in a Cessna and hit a bit of bad weather! From what I remember it's a bit of a wild ride even on a good day!

WhoKnowsWhereTheTimeG0es Tue 06-Sep-16 13:36:57

Definitely the night before, too much risk of delays on the day.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Tue 06-Sep-16 13:42:56

Definitely the night before. DH is travelling to my brother's wedding on the actual morning (due to factors out of our control) and I'm already fretting about it.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 13:43:56

MovingOn - am hoping the kids will think of it as a bit of a theme park ride (crosses fingers, looks up those train times again...)

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Tue 06-Sep-16 14:08:22

The kids will be fine. They won't know any different. It's a bit of a change if you're used to a jet grin

It's often a great place to s'leb spot too.

AperolSpitz Tue 06-Sep-16 14:18:45

Ooh s'lebs, how hilarious, fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now