All-inclusive with good (local) food - does such a thing exist?

(12 Posts)
DerelictMyBalls Sun 04-Sep-16 14:50:37

We usually go self-catering but due to our kid's ages are looking at all-inclusive hotels with kid's clubs for next year.

I'm not fussy about location (preferably not Italy) but would like somewhere sunny near a beach.

All the reviews I have seen so far have mentioned pizza, pasta, hot dogs, burgers, etc, but I would rather eat local cuisine.

Is it possible to eat well at an all-inclusive resort?

Muddle2000 Mon 05-Sep-16 00:29:39

Not a fan of Ai inclusive myself Going out to restaurants is usually a
better way to get the local cuisine.
But it can save money and hassle. With kids I would be looking at things
like on-tap cold drinks ice creams and snacks .

AnyFucker Mon 05-Sep-16 00:36:24

The RIU chain of AI hotels have a good rep for food

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Mon 05-Sep-16 00:52:12

I've stayed at two Riu AIs recently and the food was definitely better than some, with a local themed restaurant at each as well as the usual selection of foods to please everyone. I would definitely recommend them.

mouldycheesefan Mon 05-Sep-16 09:12:45

I wouldn't go all inclusive in Europe but we have in Mauritius and have had great local food. No pizza ! Several retardants to choose from. Dont go somewhere with one restaurant or just a buffet and no a la carte.

notapizzaeater Mon 05-Sep-16 09:17:36

We started in a Louis hotel,in Cryprus - they had a section of the buffet for "local" food.

KeepOnPlodding Mon 05-Sep-16 20:34:19

Depending on your budget the Thomson Sensatori hotels have great food and a number of à la carte restaurants that are part of the AI package.

noramum Wed 07-Sep-16 13:10:58

I just came back from AI (Riu Chiclana near Cadiz) and the food was ok-ish but we went out several times to get decent Spanish food.

My problem with AI is more that it is very often only or nearly only buffet food and not sit down menu and I don't like this.

mouldycheesefan Wed 07-Sep-16 13:40:10

Yes a good all inclusive hotel will have a choice of restaurants including a la carte not just buffet and no need to book a table. We go to one with 7 restaurants, only one is buffet. You don't need to reserve a table and can eat in whichever one you want no limit in a la carte. It's good food, but not Michelin starred. There is a hotel in Tenerife which has a few Michelin starred restaurants but I don't think it's all inclusive.

BarbaraofSeville Wed 07-Sep-16 23:33:50

A choice of a la carte restaurants with no need to book sounds like what I would like but I imagine that it would be considerably more expensive than self catering and eating out locally.

Alvinne Thu 08-Sep-16 22:57:40

Have a look at the Ikos hotels in Greece (Ikos olivia and Ikos oceania). The only AI I'd bother considering in Europe. They have quite a few different a la carte restaurants (the greek restaurant called Ouzo is great) and a dine out option at a local restaurant.
They also have a good fairly varied wine list with great Greek and international wines. Its not the cheapest (though cheaper in April and October. The outdoor pools at Oceania are heated but not at Olivia) but its a lovely relaxing resort with a nice spa too.
You would probably want a car as the nearest towns aren't particularly amazing, however the Sithonia peninsular is beautiful.

deltacrook Sat 10-Sep-16 10:05:08

We are trying the Bahia principe in Costa adeje in October. It has the standard buffet but also 4/5 restaurants. I think over a week you can eat in 3/4 of them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now