We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Canaries in winter - advice please

(55 Posts)
Lemonmeringue1 Tue 30-Aug-16 18:44:13

Hi, hope someone can share their experiences/advice. Thinking of booking a week in the Canaries (warmest in winter in Europe) last week of January/early February. Travelling with an 18-month old and probably all inclusive, as the difference in price from half board to all inclusive is relatively small so seems good value. (And hopefully, will avoid spending extra as much as possible!!)
I've never been to the islands, or travelled with a child, or all inclusive! So any tips, tricks, recommendations and questions to ask most welcome.
Thanks in advance x

PacificOcean Tue 30-Aug-16 18:53:56

We went to Lanzarote last Feb. We'd never been to the Canaries or done all inclusive before, so I can't give you many comparisons, but we thought it was fab! We got a good value deal through Teletext holidays, weather was great (mid to high 20s) although quite windy, loads of activities for the DC (mine are primary age). Have fun!

deltacrook Tue 30-Aug-16 19:10:52

We did Tenerife 4 years ago in February. Cloudy every day. Not great. We did fuerteventura in October 2 years ago. Roasting.

Lemonmeringue1 Tue 30-Aug-16 19:42:02

I have a thing about windy places so hoping it won't be wherever we go as some of the islands seem to have a windy reputation!! Unfortunately January is the only time we can go, I know the weather can be hit and miss but wondered if it depends on the location.. Been a long time since the last holiday we had and probably a good while before we go again so would really like it to be spot on as much as possible,,x

TwigTheWonderKid Tue 30-Aug-16 22:01:19

One of the most reliable places weather wise is Playa Blanca on Lanzarote. Lanzarote is the closest island to Africa and the south of the island is less prone to winds.

BitOutOfPractice Tue 30-Aug-16 22:03:34

I have been to Tenerife in late December and it was just beautiful. Warm, calm, lovely

Trouble is, you can't predict this far ahead what the weather will be like - and there's not a fat lot you can do about it anyway

Muddle2000 Wed 31-Aug-16 20:26:47

I have been to the Canaries lots of times i n the winter. I agree with the above post that Lanzarote being the nearest to Africa and Playa Blanca
being the most southerly as the best bet
It is a smallish but quaint resort . If it gets cloudy one day you can just hop on the Ferry to Fuerteventura and see what it is like there!
Early to midJanuary can be hit and miss so if you want a suntan you need to be there 2 weeks ideally.
However as you get into Feb things really get do start to get warmer.
Cheapest option is to go s/catering and eat out but there may be some
good offers on for hotels

mouldycheesefan Thu 01-Sep-16 08:41:12

We went to lanzarote in February, it wasn't sunbathing weather as such but was warm enough for sightseeing we hired a car. We probably had a couple hours lying buy the pool.
A heated pool and wetsuit body warmer thing would be good for baby otherwise pools can be cold. Beaches were black sand or gritty so not great for toddlers.

mouldycheesefan Thu 01-Sep-16 08:41:55

Sheraton Fuerteventura has a good heated kids pool and is very family friendly. Also a beach.

Lemonmeringue1 Thu 01-Sep-16 09:00:35

Thanks for the recommendation. Such different experiences, the weather is clearly very unpredictable!! Sheraton may be a bit too expensive for us, but a heated pool sounds a must, I wonder how common they are! A sandy beach would also be a bonus, I know the canaries are mainly black volcanic sand aren't they.
Going to the local Thomsons to check out some options this weekend!

NicknameUsed Thu 01-Sep-16 09:03:40

We went one February half term. The warmest day was the last one when we hit the dizzy heights of 20 degrees. The evenings were decidedly chilly and we needed the heating on in the apartment. Apparently the end of January and most of February has the coolest weather, and the trade winds are quite chilly.

The water will be cold so I would try and book somewhere that has a heated pool.

BarbaraofSeville Thu 01-Sep-16 09:30:58

Lots of resorts have imported sand from the sahara so have normal yellow sand. Certainly Playa Blanca and Puerto del Carmen on Lanzarote do, as does Los Cristianos, Playa de las Americas and Adeje on Tenerife and you can see the yellow dunes of Fuerteventura from Playa Blanca. Los Gigantes is a black beach. But have a look on google earth to check.

We've had hot and sunny beach weather in early January in Tenerife, OKish variable weather in Lanzarote in February in a different year and quite stormy not great weather for half the week in April in Tenerife but then thankfully it sorted itself out for the rest of the week and properly warmed up.

Lemonmeringue1 Thu 01-Sep-16 09:58:47

Ahhhh it's so difficult to decide what to do. I'm a student and on my course we only get holidays in end January/February, and then in August when it will be a) school hols so can't afford the stupid prices at the moment b) dd will be 2 so will have to pay c) it will be hot and hubby isn't keen on too hot weather!

My sis in law went to Tenerife in the first week of Feb last year. It was boiling and they got sunburn. My parents also went one January and it was warm. This made me overly optimistic I think.

It may have to be a case of risking the weather unfortunately. No consensus on the hottest island, either, also seems to vary sad

BarbaraofSeville Thu 01-Sep-16 10:22:20

There's quite a lot to do on Lanzarote even if the weather isn't great (maybe choose a hotel with a heated pool and indoor play area for DCs) and you would be extremly unlucky to not get at least a few days of half decent weather in a week away - it will certainly be much better than the UK.

Just take some warmish clothes in case it isn't that warm in the evening. I would go B&B so you're less tied to the hotel, but that's your choice really.

mummymeister Thu 01-Sep-16 10:44:41

when it comes to choosing somewhere with a heated pool only go on a recommendation that it is heated from a real person, not on what the hotel says on its website. my fil has been caught out many times with the fact that somewhere has a heated pool when what they mean is they have just taken the chill off of it!

go by recommendations on here and tripadvisor where you can look on the forum for each island or ask a question.

2014newme Thu 01-Sep-16 12:27:59

Agree there is lots to do in lanzarote, i found there wasn't in fuerteventura.
I would go for it in your position but with heated pool.

Lemonmeringue1 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:51:49

I think I will see if I can ask Thomsons/Thomas Cook about the heated pool for individual hotels, and also look on Tripadvisor. Does anyone have tips for minimising extra spending when going all inclusive, while not being 'tied' to the hotel? (I have heard of hotels providing packed lunches, for example, although not sure how common this is).

Lanzarote (Playa Blanca) and Tenerife seem to be top of the list at the moment..

Lemonmeringue1 Thu 01-Sep-16 12:53:32

Meant to say without being tied to your hotel too much..obviously I appreciate we will be to some extent!

mouldycheesefan Thu 01-Sep-16 13:42:29

Even if all inclusive you are bound to pop out for lunch or something a couple of days. Whether the hotel will provide you with a picnic will depend on the hotel. Whether you get bored eating in the hotel will depend on how many restaurants it has and the quality of the food. Read the reviews on tripadvisor and look at the menus in hotel websites. Check for any supplements. Likely you will want to eat early with baby so check if there is a restaurant that opens a bit earlier, 7pm dinner may not suit baby.

Collarsandcutoffs Thu 01-Sep-16 13:44:14

Lanzarote windy++
Tenerife hot++
Both deeply boring
unless you like theme park with animals type attractions.
No old towns to nose in unless you drive well out from the main strips.

mouldycheesefan Thu 01-Sep-16 13:46:59

Indisagree.
Lanzarote has timanfaya lava fields, all the cesar manrique places for a start.
Fuerteventura I agree is not much there.

NicknameUsed Thu 01-Sep-16 13:52:13

Lanzarote has lots to see. If you think there isn't much to see and do you clearly haven't tried very hard.

Mount Timanfaya is amazing, and the Cesar Manrique stuff is brilliant.

TheNaze73 Thu 01-Sep-16 14:01:51

Out of the main islands Fueturventura is my favourite however it's windy do probably rules that out for you OP. There are pros & cons of Tenerife, Gran Canaria & Lanzorote.

Lemonmeringue1 Thu 01-Sep-16 14:13:11

Are you happy to share the pros and cons Naze73? Thank you x

suit2845321oie Thu 01-Sep-16 14:19:50

Loads to see and do in Lanzarote. Take your driving license and hire a car if the weather is bad. Scenery is stunning, volcanoes, pretty villages, vineyards, galleries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now