Pls talk to me about Tenerife and Gran Canaria

(6 Posts)
juneau Wed 10-Aug-16 09:13:39

We've been to Lanzarote and really liked it. We stayed in Playa Blanca, hired a car and explored. There was plenty to do for a week and we were really pleasantly surprised by how nice the island was and how sunny but not boiling the weather is.

Now we're considering going back to the Canaries next summer and I want to at least consider the other islands. So which are the nice areas, which are the tacky ones to be avoided, and what is there to do? We're not a family who wants to sit by the pool for a week. We like to get out and visit towns, markets, caves, volcanoes, animal parks, etc.

specialsubject Wed 10-Aug-16 11:31:02

Havent been to GC but Tenerife will provide all you want! The kiddy drunks are really only to be found in very central Las Americas, move out a bit and all is good. Golf del Sur is slap under the flight path and has only one thing to do, so also avoid that, it is cheap for a reason.

You've got a volcano in the middle with loads of great walking there and elsewhere. You've got real towns on the northern end - the southern bit where the resorts are has the better weather, but the locals didn't settle there because it is too dry.

there's quite a good rough guide and lonely planet so take a trip to the library.

RhuBarbarella Wed 10-Aug-16 11:45:38

I've been to both Tenerife and Gran Canaria. The coast is GC is horrible, not so much big apartments but industry and plastic. Very depressing. The interior is stunning though and if you base yourself in Artenara for example you could do some excellent exploring. Caves, walks, nice towns and good food, all there. Tenerife tough, even with busier roads and crowds, is prettier and more varied. I'd probably chose Tenerife over GC, and have it all: sun, sea, rugged mountains and lush green forests.

juneau Wed 10-Aug-16 12:13:54

Thank you guys. I am definitely leaning towards Tenerife at this point. The annoying thing is that the hotel I most like the look of is on Gran Canaria!

Any hotel recommendations? We have two boys who will be 9 and 6. They love warm pools, crazy golf, and a good buffet. We don't like noisy hotels - family-orientated yes, but not booming music by the pool and kids disco every night kind of places. Beach access and water sports a bonus, but not essential.

medondons Wed 10-Aug-16 12:25:14

We stayed at Riu Buena Vista for two weeks in August.

Great family friendly hotel, but not too noisy and not on the main strip but on the coast. Free shuttle bus to Playa de las Americas.

Fab family rooms with separate sleeping accommodation for kids, good food and two large pools.

Tenerife was great too, we hired a car and went to Teide the volcano, to the west and north coast and did some exploring all very beautiful. Siam Water park is also great for a day out.

So would recommend and would definitely go back xx

specialsubject Wed 10-Aug-16 12:47:39

everywhere has beach access on Tenerife, although do check the position of your hotel. There's a main road through Las Americas (not a major issue) and anything on the landward side of it will be on a steep slope. Great views, big climbs.

As it is the tidal Atlantic, watersports tend to be motorised only, that's a nuisance so also check to make sure there isn't a jetski place on your beach.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now