Would you go to mexico in hurricane season?

(11 Posts)
havemercy Sun 07-Aug-16 22:54:44

It's a significant birthday for me this year so as a special treat we were thinking of going to Mexico. Due to my children being of school age I was planning this for end of August yes we are terrible for booking things last minute

Would this be a terrible idea? How likely are hurricanes? Dh hates spending large sums of money on holidays so if I don't go now then I will probably never get to go.

Is there anywhere I'm the world that people might recommend instead? It needs to be a similar budget.

Many thanks smile

LadyFarnborough Sun 07-Aug-16 23:09:19

No as I was caught in a hurricane in Mexico 10 years ago. Not an experience I want to repeat.

havemercy Sun 07-Aug-16 23:15:30

Thank you so much for replying. Is there anywhere else you might recommend instead?

IwannaSnorlax Sun 07-Aug-16 23:30:43

I'd say no also - been in Florida during hurricane season & whilst we weren't hit by the hurricane, the volume of rain was phenomenal & you really couldn't do anything until it passed.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 07-Aug-16 23:38:00

I would say yes, you might be unlucky, but chances are that you wouldn't be affected by a hurricane while you are there.

AcrossthePond55 Mon 08-Aug-16 00:29:21

They're predicting a much more active hurricane season this year for the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico, the most active since 2012.

I'd probably consider Cabo San Lucas but not the Gulf side resorts.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 08-Aug-16 07:24:02

That does depend on which source you look at AcrossThe Pond, Last year was so quiet, this year NOAA are predicting a near normal season.
Yes, it is a risk of course. It depends how risk averse you are. Obviously many people go to the gulf states each hurricane season and have no issue.

Passthecake30 Mon 08-Aug-16 07:28:14

I've been to Dominican Republic and experienced a hurricane, it kept us indoors for a day/night and the worrying thing was the fear of the Unknown, ie, what would we do, where would we go...the hotel strapped down all the beds and moved people to the ground floor but after that it was out of their hands....

NoMudNoLotus Mon 08-Aug-16 07:31:31

Er no.

Because there will be a hurricane & from experience it is not at all pleasant.

Hersetta427 Mon 08-Aug-16 10:05:04

I would try Barbados. It is not in the hurricane belt as it is too far south.

Destinysdaughter Mon 08-Aug-16 10:08:26

If there was a risk I wouldn't go. Could you either postpone it to a safer season or go to another exotic location you would like to visit?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now