How to take holiday money.

(7 Posts)
MyLlamasGoneBananas Fri 05-Aug-16 08:14:43

Apart from a trip abroad 2 tears ago I've not been abroad for donkeys years. I'm off again in 3 weeks.

When I used to go in the old days I'd take x cash and x in sterling travellers cheques. I never really had a problem with this.

2 years ago I was laughed out of the travel agents when I tried to get travellers cheques and talked into getting a money card. Thus seemed a good idea except on practice not many shops would accept it and it didn't work in the cash machine. I ended up using my UK bank account card that cost me a fair bit on every withdrawal.

This has massively put me off using a money card again and my cash card. I'm seriously considering going back to travellers cheques which I've established the Post Office still do.

I'm just wondering what everyone else does for money abroad these days and if anyone still uses travellers cheques.

Savagebeauty Fri 05-Aug-16 08:21:05

I just take currency and my MasterCard.

NicknameUsed Fri 05-Aug-16 08:24:13

Everywhere has room safes these days so I just take currency and credit and debit cards. You can use debit cards to take money out of ATMs abroad as well. I used mine in Sirmione. I am with Nationwide so I don't get charged for taking money out, and I don't get charged commission when I use my credit card.

Helenluvsrob Fri 05-Aug-16 08:25:37

We have a Caxton fx card. No issues with it at all. Accepted for payment and can be used in a cash point. I've also got a post office travel money card.

Did you get an unknown card / not activate it or anything odd? The only slight issue was lloyds not wanting to load it when I was in Spain as I didn't tell them I was abroad

Wellywife Fri 05-Aug-16 08:36:25

We also use the Caxton FX card. You can load money onto it online, on an app and I think even over the phone. It's accepted wherever MasterCard is accepted and can be used in ATMs too.

At one time it didn't work on the toll roads but I'm reliably informed (by a customer of my bank that I recommended it to!) that it works there too.

If you're using it and you're given a choice of paying in sterling or local currency, always go for local as it works out cheaper.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 05-Aug-16 10:00:05

Some bank cards are better than others and if you have the right one, are the absolute best way of either paying for things or getting money - much cheaper than exchanging money here.

Have a look at the travel money section of Moneysavingexpert

NicknameUsed Fri 05-Aug-16 11:47:34

Nationwide are good for that Barbara. No commission if using a debit card in ATMs, but don't use it to pay for things. Use the Nationwide visa credit card to pay for things as no commission is charged, but don't use it in ATMs to get money out.

I don't work for them BTW.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now