We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Children travelling by train without an adult

(18 Posts)
northender Fri 05-Aug-16 07:36:45

Ds is 14 (15 in 4 weeks), dd is 11 (12 in Nov). They are both used to rail travel and are very sensible. We feel happy for them to travel together without us on a direct journey. We would see them off at this end and relatives would meet them at the other end. Are there any rules or laws around this? The train company is First Great Western if that makes any difference.

Meggymoodle Fri 05-Aug-16 07:40:12

Not sure if there are rules as such bit having seen a brother and sister have the most awful argument which nearly turned into a physical fight on a train (I was really not sure at what point it would have been appropriate to intervene) I would be worried about my two doing it. Sorry, I realise that's not helpful. Perhaps just ask at a ticket office.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 05-Aug-16 07:41:16

Check with the company,iirc it's over 12 travelling alone but I'd do what your suggesting as they're together.

tribpot Fri 05-Aug-16 07:42:15

Info from the British Transport Police. My concern would be whether they could handle any problems arising from the journey being disrupted, i.e. if they were decanted on to a replacement bus part way through.

Savagebeauty Fri 05-Aug-16 07:43:25

Sounds fine to me. Ds was travelling all over the country alone from 14.

lovelyupnorth Fri 05-Aug-16 07:45:04

Would also be fine our DD registry does longish journeys on her own or with a friend. Shouldn't be a problem

suit2845321oie Fri 05-Aug-16 07:46:37

It will be fine, children travel on the tube and on the trains into school in central London on their own from 11 or even 10 in some cases

sashh Fri 05-Aug-16 07:47:12

How long is the journey?

Children take the train to school so there are no problems with their age - it's not like a flight. I would book them seats though.

northender Fri 05-Aug-16 07:47:45

Thanks for the replies. Having just looked in more detail it seems there aren't any direct trains on the days we are looking at. I'd be happy with ds doing that on his own but not with dd.

Wellywife Fri 05-Aug-16 07:52:14

DS went to his GPs alone a bit younger than your youngest (10). No rules but I let the train manager (guard!) know, so he kept an eye on him. And this was when his mobile was a godsend as we texted back and forth.

I think the rules are for flying.

WhereDidTheYearsGo Fri 05-Aug-16 07:54:20

My children each travelled to school by train every day from age 11 and so did a lot of their friends.

cmsconfused Fri 05-Aug-16 08:17:10

My 12 year old DS recently travelled for an hour alone on a train to his GP

He's very sensible though which helps!!

RapidlyOscillating Fri 05-Aug-16 08:28:37

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

BadToTheBone Fri 05-Aug-16 08:29:21

I was travelling alone by train at 14 and finding my own way at the other end. I don't see a problem with what you're suggesting.

ChocChocPorridge Fri 05-Aug-16 08:33:21

I think I took my sister to GP at that age (transfer in London) - I was certainly doing it myself at 14 (travelled to school by train from 11).

These days there's mobile phones too, so it's not even like you need ever be out of contact unlike when I was a kid.

You know how responsible they are though, whether you think they'd do well or panic.

sashh Fri 05-Aug-16 10:11:12

Not sure but you could look in to booking assistance. I know it is available for disabled travelers not sure for children but worth a phone call.

If it is available someone will meet them from one train and take them to the other.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Fri 05-Aug-16 11:10:53

No, assistance is not for children .

LyndaNotLinda Fri 05-Aug-16 11:22:36

A nearly 15 year old and a nearly 12 year old? Yes, I would, even with a change.

When I was 15, I was travelling an hour each way - with 3 changes - to a full time holiday job as a chambermaid in my nearest big city.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now