Berlin airport transfer

(31 Posts)
Coconutty Thu 04-Aug-16 13:36:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Thu 04-Aug-16 13:39:23

The Metro is quite cheap.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 04-Aug-16 13:40:01

Reading this is also helpful:-

www.berlin-airport.de/en/travellers-sxf/to-and-from/buses-and-trains/local-public-transport/index.php

Coconutty Thu 04-Aug-16 16:16:32

peppatax Thu 04-Aug-16 16:22:37

Managed the train into the city centre with DD then 3 in a buggy and luggage and was just fine

peppatax Thu 04-Aug-16 16:23:28

Just make sure you have lots of cash in Berlin as there's not much opportunity to use cards as in the UK

Coconutty Thu 04-Aug-16 17:08:03

NickiFury Thu 04-Aug-16 17:11:34

Google the Welcome Card coconutty. If you get the ABC one that includes the airport route and covers all transport for however long you buy it for. Up to three children aged up to 14 are covered per adult card too. Plus you get all sorts of discounts at places. I bought an ABC 72 hour one. You can purchase on line then you take the voucher to the tourist office at the airport to redeem it, then on to the airport express into Berlin to the Hauptbahnhof.

Teasgonecoldagain Fri 05-Aug-16 18:29:11

We also bought a Welcome Card, but as someone else mentioned about debit/credit cards, the ticket machine didn't accept them. The train goes from the airport into the city, think Gatwick to London City type setup, also the card is valid for underground and I think buses and trams too, there is lots of useful information on the WelcomeCard website and there are different versions depending on your need.

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 19:45:16

shellshock77 Fri 05-Aug-16 19:48:47

Just come back. We did U into town, but it was a faff as it takes a while to get to grips with all the lines. We got a taxi back to the airport for €36 smile

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 05-Aug-16 19:53:38

Yup, welcome card ABC is a must. It's kind of a big payout upfront, but it is so worth it for the convenience. Allows you on all forms of transport in the city and loads of discounts. Each adult tickets covers 3 kids under 12 or 16, IIRK? Get them in Terminal A.

Once you come out of the front door of The airport, there is a covered walkway down to the train station, and you can either take RE7 or RB14 express direct to the city centre. Remember to validate your cards on the platform in the clicky machine! Only have to do this once though...

Where abouts are you staying Coconutty?

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 05-Aug-16 19:55:57

http://www.bvg.de/en/ link to Berlin Transport - good journey planner and they do a nice wee app grin

Forgot to say... Have a fab time!

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 19:56:35

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 19:56:57

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 05-Aug-16 19:58:24

Ah brilliant, the Zoo station is really accessible and is on all the major rail links, including the Airport Express.

Bring back some currywurst!!

NickiFury Fri 05-Aug-16 20:01:34

We might pass each other in the street without ever knowing coconutty grin

NickiFury Fri 05-Aug-16 20:02:59

Fedup I am in Berlin next week too, was planning on coming on the airport express to Hauptbahnhof and then U to wittenberger station then to hotel, I am near the zoo as well. Would it be better to get off at the Zoo station then?

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 20:04:03

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 20:05:18

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 05-Aug-16 20:13:12

Nicki it would mean you wouldn't have to make a change, but up to you! To be honest, you can't go wrong in Berlin. The public transport system puts ours to shame, and there's a U or S-Bahn station every few steps!. Google maps directions can be really helpful door to door, gives you public transport.

FedUpWithBriiiiiick Fri 05-Aug-16 20:17:20

Oohhh I'm so jealous now. I love Berlin!!

Coconutty if you are into the street food scene, you are so in luck. Apologies for shouting but:

YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY BURGERMEISTER.

It's directly underneath U-Bahn Schlesisches Tor, in Kreuzberg and is has greatest burgers EVER.

NickiFury Fri 05-Aug-16 20:17:41

No will do that. I didn't realise. Thanks so much smile

Coconutty Fri 05-Aug-16 20:22:42

BeMorePanda Fri 05-Aug-16 20:27:34

Train from airport to HBH and then short tram/u Bahn to zoo. Transport it fast and cheap in Berlin. If you are stating for a few days get a tourist pass for the transport. Good value on all public transport plus discount entry to most attractions. I think it's called Berlin card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now