Talk

Advanced search

Is it safe to travel to France?

(12 Posts)
Thomasina76 Tue 02-Aug-16 13:12:34

My ex-Dh is taking DSs, 8 and 6, on holiday to France for a week. I am a very nervous flier so didn't want them to fly so he will drive them to Dover then get the ferry to Calais before driving to Paris where he will stay overnight with his cousin and his wife. They will then all get the train to Nice (of all places) before hiring a car and driving to a villa on the outskirts (not in Nice itself). I am terrified of terrorist attacks either on the journey (on the ferry, at train stations etc) or whilst there. It is safe to let them go as I am honestly in two minds. This is only their second holiday away from me so they aren't thrilled about going.

Flumplet Tue 02-Aug-16 13:19:47

OP a terrorist attack is highly likely to happen here. I wouldnt say its safe in France right now, but its probably as safe as anywhere. We're going to Paris ourselves next week and I understand your anxiety, however Paris is a big place, France is even bigger, and the chances of getting caught up in something awful are small (not impossible granted).

FruitCider Tue 02-Aug-16 13:23:18

I think your children will be fine. I'm off to France next week too, albeit for VERY different reasons.

90% of terrorist attacks take place in Muslim countries. The risk is still very small.

ExitPursuedByABear Tue 02-Aug-16 13:27:03

The risk is tiny.

I can understand your concerns, but you cannot live your life in fear.

SwedishEdith Tue 02-Aug-16 13:32:28

The threat level in the UK is severe (means an attack is highly likely).

NerrSnerr Tue 02-Aug-16 13:34:26

I would let them go- no question. The chances of them getting caught up in anything are really slim. I know you're nervous of flying but i am surprised you stopped that as statistically they'll be safer flying than any other mode of transport (even though the chances of sometime happening on ferry or train once again is really slim!)

Thomasina76 Tue 02-Aug-16 13:42:27

Thanks all, just the reassurance I was looking for. I know flying is safer statistically but I just can't let them get on a plane without me. Nuts I know and I hope as they get older I will be more relaxed. Guess I am going to have to let them go. It won't stop me worrying myself silly all week. Safe travels everyone.

Helenluvsrob Fri 05-Aug-16 08:41:32

We are going to France for a holiday. To Nice. I am very much looking forward to it.

We live in a big uk city. The chance of being a terror target at home is rated as severe. There will I'm sure be an attack. You can't predict where, though really more likely the bullring on a busy Saturday is surely more likely than a Nice again .i still go shopping in town.

As others say. Flying is safer than road travel!

frenchfancy Fri 05-Aug-16 15:56:40

There were 23869 people killed or seriously injured on the roads in the UK in 2015 yet you still think car travel is safe.

Terrorism seems scary because it is in the news all the time. If they reported road deaths and injuries in the same way then none of us would ever get in a car.

France is as safe as the UK. And the sun is shining smile

Pencilplant Sat 06-Aug-16 10:42:19

I have just got back from France. We drove from Calais to Lyon and then down to Nice. Stayed 10 lovely days then drove back the same way. Slight delay in Calais but pretty straightforward. I saw police around St Tropez and Nice and they had closed the roads around a festival and there was more security.
Everyone is just getting on with daily life and enjoying the gorgeous weather. France is vast and the chances of you getting mixed up in something is very small.
I do think about it and I do basic things like make sure I work out the way out of where I am and make sure I'm wearing shoes I could run in. I'm not talking trainers and carrying binoculars it's just basic common sense.
I am also nervous and can be full on drama queen about these things but I did really love being in France and we had an amazing time.
Enjoy

specialsubject Sun 07-Aug-16 09:27:57

Making their dad do all that driving is riskier than letting them fly.

Please try to get some help . this level of anxiety must be awful for you. And them.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 07-Aug-16 09:32:24

We have to believe that it is safe and continue with our lives. Otherwise, the terrorists have won...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now