Talk

Advanced search

Recommendation for holiday on your own

(11 Posts)
OkLumberjack Wed 27-Jul-16 12:33:39

I know this sounds lame, but I'm asking for a friend.

She's looking for a weeks holiday somewhere warm (She fancies maybe Greece). She's single, 46. She's young at heart and would like a hotel/resort that's not too quiet but also not an 18-30 type holiday IYSWIM. Budget about £600 ish.

Has anyone ever been somewhere on their own and had a great time. She's been away on her own before and is not shy, but the place she went was much too quiet with hardly anyone around. She likes to meet people, take a few little trips etc.

Any ideas?

minipie Wed 27-Jul-16 12:44:23

Would she be up for an activity holiday like sailing, cooking, painting? I imagine that will be the best way to meet people and also likely to have other people holidaying alone. Of course she could duck in and out of the activity if she wanted something different some days.

Intrepid is a good company which does small group tours - some are activity based (like sailing) and others are more sightseeing based.

BobbinThreadbare123 Wed 27-Jul-16 12:58:17

My mum does walking tour holidays. They're UK based and she tends to get on the train and has her waterproofs/walking kit. She isn't shy but doesn't like sun/sand/sea hols. She's in her early 50s. The last one she did was in Shropshire. You just join a group of like-minded folk.

OkLumberjack Wed 27-Jul-16 13:11:51

Thanks both. I've suggested similar 'group' type holidays before but she's not keen. I think she's after more of a beach/resort holiday she can book as a solo person but has a fairly lively social/nightlife that's not too teenagery.

She might be asking the impossible. I wish she'd book an activity holiday though.

Northumberlandlass Wed 27-Jul-16 13:15:08

The last time I was in Dubrovnik, there were a lot of women travelling alone. One lady was staying in a lovely hotel, near beach with pool and went on loads of day trips / day cruises. She was having a ball.
I would definitely do that, best of both worlds!

MachiKoro Wed 27-Jul-16 13:16:33

What about somewhere like Crete where there's lots to see of a historical nature? Or Florence/Pisa/Sienna?
There's usually Tuscan holidays for that kind of price.

juneau Wed 27-Jul-16 13:38:05

There are singles beach holidays too - its not all sailing and hiking up mountains. Solos or Just You are two companies that come to mind.

Makemineacabsauv Thu 28-Jul-16 00:08:19

Somewhere like Stallis or Rethymnon on Crete, skiathos Town, or Roda/ Kassiopi on Corfu spring to mind. Kid town is fab too.,

123therearenomoreusernames Thu 28-Jul-16 00:28:25

Would she consider a cruise. Lots of organised excursions and people to talk to over dinner and sunbathing around the pool.

concertplayer Tue 02-Aug-16 13:46:22

Some travel companies offer a no Single room supplement on certain
dates eg First Choice You need to book ahead though

budgiegirl Thu 04-Aug-16 00:21:02

I'd suggest a cruise, Norwegian Cruises have the Norwegian Epic sailing the Med this summer, and they have cabins for solo travellers. They arrange meet-ups so you can meet other solo travellers, or you can do your own thing if you prefer. Lots of entertainment and people around, but also quiet areas if you want to get away from it all a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now