Talk

Advanced search

Kid friendly must-see's in Florence

(3 Posts)
chorltonloveswheelies Tue 26-Jul-16 08:35:09

We are off to Chianti region shortly and want to take a day trip into Florence which is about an hour away.

So whilst I may be attempting to channel A level Forster, the reality is we will have an 11yo and 8yo in tow moaning about the heat and crowds.

What sites should we realistically look to visit, which are kid friendly and achievable in a day.

Also any recommendations on places eat/get coffee much appreciated flowers

juneau Tue 26-Jul-16 10:08:07

Florence is a tough one in the summer. I lived there for six months and its really hot, humid and crowded. The museums are, of course, amazing, but if you want to visit any of them you need to reserve a time-slot ticket ahead of time. You can do it online. If you don't then you'll be queuing up for hours in the sunshine, wasting your day and baking to a crisp.

Which one would I recommend above all others? The Uffizi is the best, IMO. Its got the big ta-da paintings. But if you want to see Michelangelo's David then you need to go to the Accademia. My personal favourite is the Museo San Marco, which is beautiful, peaceful and I've never seen it crowded. Its a former monastery and has lovely frescoes by Fra Angelico. www.museumsinflorence.com/musei/museum_of_san_marco.html Is it kid-friendly? It depends on your kids.

TBH I don't think Florence is particularly kid-friendly, unless you're talking about the ice-cream, which is fabulous, but available in many places other than Florence. My top tip for that is Vivoli, an artisan gelateria near Santa Croce. For food I always liked the Osteria Santo Spirito in Oltrarno. I haven't been for years though, so I don't know how good it is these days. Its on a lovely square anyway (the Piazza Santo Spirito, by the church of the same name). www.osteriasantospirito.it/. You can get fabulous coffee in any cafe. If you want to pay less step away from the big touristy piazzas and down the side streets.

tempo Tue 26-Jul-16 16:38:30

you could go up into the gallery of the Duomo (like the whispering gallery in St Pauls Cathedral), or go up the bell tower (campanile) next door for good views.
The Leonardo da Vinci museum has loads of models of his inventions.
The Stibbert museum has loads of armour and all that but don't know if you have boys or girls?
Pitti palace has quite good wow factor as it is just so bloody enormous - and gardens are a nice place to cool off - also try Boboli gardens.
Best ice cream in my book is Perche' non, quite close to the Piazza della Repubblica and Piazza della Signoria.
If you're only going in for the day I would limit it to one museum/gallery and the cathedral. A delicious lunch, a wander and an ice cream.
In 35 degree heat I reckon that's enough for anyone!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now