Passport control - kids with a different surname to parent

(64 Posts)
lucjam2105 Mon 25-Jul-16 19:06:42

After some advice. I'm travelling with DD (age 14) and DS (age 10) to France next week without DH. We are flying from LGW with Easyjet.

I still have my maiden name on my passport even though we got married 16 years ago. The reason for this is that we got married in Sweden and the UK passport authorities won't accept our marriage certificate as it's in Swedish, I would have to get a certified translation which costs £££ so I've never bothered. Not been an issue until now.

I do have my driving licence in my married name as the DVLA were happy to accept swedish certificate. So if I take that and letter from DH giving permission to travel, a copy of his passport, both kids birth certificates and the certified copy of the entry which lists me as their mother (and also says what my maiden name is) do you think that will be ok.

I do know someone who was doing the same journey (UK to France) with the same airline who was refused travel as she couldn't prove the link to her daughter.

Do you think I have all bases covered? I flew easyjet the other week (on my own for work) and asked at the LGW desk and they said not to worry about it...can't say it really made me feel any better!

SJane45S Mon 25-Jul-16 20:18:31

I'd get the letter from your husband witnessed and stamped by a solicitor. Doesn't cost a lot but I used to do this with my different surnamed daughter after a really really unpleasant interrogation by Canadian immigration officials. Sounds like you've covered all bases - I'm sure it'll be fine!

LuchiMangsho Mon 25-Jul-16 20:19:32

Came through Heathrow on Sunday morning. Different surname to kids. They just needed the birth certificate, nothing else.

waddleandtoddle Mon 25-Jul-16 20:23:10

I've travelled loads with different surnames and have never been asked once to prove a link. **touching wood now

BigBetsy Mon 25-Jul-16 20:27:29

I have flown all over Europe and the USA with DD. I'm a lone parent and we have different surnames and the only time anyone has ever even mentioned it was once on arrival at our home airport (Scotland) DD was asked who I was, she said my mum and that was it. I really wouldn't worry.

Natsku Mon 25-Jul-16 20:30:25

DD has her dad's surname so I've always been asked to prove she's mine upon entering the UK but as she doesn't have a birth certificate (my country doesn't do them) I never could and they'd just tell me to bring something next time. I've probably used up all my good luck in this now though!

HermioneWeasley Mon 25-Jul-16 20:31:31

Take copies of their birth certificates? You'll be named on there

ivykaty44 Mon 25-Jul-16 20:34:06

I had the same surname as my dad but on one occasion travelling alone ( single parent) I was asked for my DC DOB and they were asked who I was?

I always gave my dad a birth cert for each girl as it showed his name on each certificate - no one ever asked an old man travelling with two young girls alone though who he was.

doing Mon 25-Jul-16 20:34:16

Birth certificate, I'm asked to show it every time. Never needed a letter of consent, thank fuck.

LonnyVonnyWilsonFrickett Mon 25-Jul-16 20:35:54

I'd take a copy of the kids birth certificates, but that's all. And in fact I just flew in and out of the States without DS bc and didn't have any problems at all.

If there are any concerns they'll simply ask the DC...

Globetrotter100 Mon 25-Jul-16 20:44:28

Checks are getting more common as airport security increases in general. OP you are very right to be gathering your documents. It's also stated as a requirement on UK government to have letter of permission if travelling with one parent and that's even with the same surname (to avoid kidnappings, I guess). I got checked earlier this year (kept my maiden name and DS has DHs surname).

SmokyRobinson Mon 25-Jul-16 20:45:15

I've travelled many times on my own with our dcs who have a different surname than me. I also have a different European passport (they have British passports), so its more confusing.
So far (9 years of regular travel into Europe) I have only had to show the birth certificates on a handful of occassions. I do carry a letter from my husband with me, just in case, but they have never asked.
Your kids are older, so they might ask your 10 and 14 year old if you are their parent.
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

BusStopBetty Mon 25-Jul-16 20:50:45

I had no idea that some countries don't have birth certificates. I presume that births are still registered, you just don't get a piece of paper?

thelmafitzgerald Mon 25-Jul-16 20:56:57

God, don't you find it insulting that hust because a woman keeps her own surname then she has to PROVE she is her DC' s mother when going on holiday?

For God's sake!! What about the (many) countries where women routinely don't take their DH's surname?

It sounds insane to me!!!

[note to future self: always give double surname to DC]

Natsku Mon 25-Jul-16 20:57:12

BusStopBetty Yeah they're registered but we get no paper - all things like that are stored electronically these days. For my next travel with DD (next month) I have an official copy of my personal information from the registry office that states that I have a child and her name so hopefully that'll be enough if I get asked again this time.

lucjam2105 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:00:27

Thanks all, sounds like I'm on the right tracks.

tribpot Mon 25-Jul-16 21:05:25

thelmafitzgerald - yes, it is completely insane. Esp as many of the checks are done upon re-entry into the UK. That well-known crime of kidnapping British children into Britain.

I have no idea why they think targeting people travelling with children with different surnames is going to be successful (esp as there appears to be no recourse other than in Canada if you can't prove a connection to the child other than the child saying "that's my mum"). I wonder if there is any evidence to support the idea most kidnapped children are kidnapped by people with different surnames to them? I thought most were in-family kidnappings.

apivita Mon 25-Jul-16 21:14:22

Agh thanks for bringing this up. Do you all think I need to bring the kids BC when we go away this summer? I'm flying with my kids who have dh's surname. I have both surnames in my passport (not British) and my married name is written in brackets. My air tickets are in my maiden name.

lucjam2105 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:15:31

Better safe than sorry I think. I wouldn't have even thought about it if I hadn't spoken to someone who got turned away from the airport.

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Mon 25-Jul-16 21:24:42

I travelled loads with DD1 on my own. We have different surnames. I've never taken a birth certificate or letter of consent.
DH has taken DD1 and DD2 away without me and never been asked for a letter of consent either.
Looks like we've been lucky!

lucjam2105 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:37:14

Sorry, I didn't mean to worry anyone, I couldn't care less if I get stopped on the way back in I just don't want to miss my holiday, worst comes to the worst kids will have to wait 8 days for me and I'll get them on the way back through LGW!!

ivykaty44 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:40:01

Globetrotter, what if the other parent is dead? How do you get around not having a letter?

nuttymango Mon 25-Jul-16 21:41:33

I have only been asked on the way into the UK. They just ask the DC who I am and ask me why my surname is different.

Longlost10 Mon 25-Jul-16 21:47:18

I have traveled a lot with DC alone, had an issue three times about 10 years apart. Once refused plane tickets between london and Edinborough. ( this one was a surprise, although I understand now that it is a common issue) Once was refused entry to a cross channel ferry at Dover, and once was held up at the border between USA and Canada. On other days, had no problem at either border. It is pretty random. You can be refused entry into a country without the proper permission letters, so it is not worth the risk

thelmafitzgerald Mon 25-Jul-16 21:47:44

"They just ask the DC who I am and ask me why my surname is different."

How is it okay for immigration officers to ask these questions? Women have to justify the fact that they kept their own surname?!?

Usually I am not particularly feminist but Christ this whole thread is opening up a new world of sexism to me!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now