Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Backpacking with kids - Malaysia ? Greece

(3 Posts)
EenyMeenyMo Sat 23-Jul-16 15:46:43

Both me and DP used to backpack /independent travel a lot (both together/separately) but since DS (now 6) was born we have done mainly package (all inclusive ) or eurocamp style- eg book flight and accomodation separately but ahead of time.
We were intending to do something a bit different either go to Malaysia and then go to east coast/borneo independently or Greek island hop. I did the greek islands years ago and it was very easy but nor sure now/with kids - and not sure at all about Malaysia...trying to sort something out for next week so any ideas very welcome!

bakingaddict Sat 23-Jul-16 15:56:55

I don't know about the Greek Isles but getting around Malaysia is very easy and you could easily do Kuala Lumpur, Redang or Tioman on the east coast and then take an Air Asia flight to Kota Kinabalu. August is generally low season for Malaysia as Singapore and Malaysian kids have their main holidays in Dec and I think half term is September which gives the advantage of quiet hotels at off season prices

ShanghaiDiva Sun 24-Jul-16 01:23:06

Malaysia is easy with kids and the Air Asia hub is in KL so there are plenty of reasonable flights.
I think Kuching in Borneo is nicer that Kota Kinabalu which was bombed by the Japanese and rebuilt in a less than sympathetic style!
KK - easy day trips to islands off the coast and quiet during the week, national park and mount KK all great. There is an orangutan sanctuary at the Shangri la hotel (the one which is about 45 mins from the town) which is linked to the one at Sepilok. You don't need to stay at the hotel to visit the centre, but do need to book in advance as space is limited.
Kuching - great food, longhouses, kayaking and you can see orang utans in the wild.
We also spent a couple of days in Brunei which was interesting and good for rain forest treks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now