Longleat safari park

(19 Posts)
BoBramble Sat 23-Jul-16 07:06:34

Random question, but I drive a T5 with a permanent bike rack and am concerned that the monkeys will destroy it. It's fixed on and pretty sturdy but can anyone reassure me that they won't take it apart?!

Desperate to take my DC in the next few days.

FuzzyOwl Sat 23-Jul-16 07:08:40

I suspect it will attract the monkeys and they are quite strong and determined.

blueistheonlycolourwefeel Sat 23-Jul-16 07:14:25

You can miss out the monkey bit? When we went, they took off the registration plate that was loose and we had to go back 3 times through the afternoon to get it back before we could go home!! grin

Iamcheeseman Sat 23-Jul-16 07:15:51

I seriously wouldn't go through the monkeys. Did 10 years ago with my first car that I didn't think could be made any worse. They took bits off that I didn't even realise the car had! I've always skipped that enclose since.

DiamondInTheRuff Sat 23-Jul-16 07:17:11

They will strip your car and sell it for parts within 60 seconds of going in.

You can bypass the monkey bit, or get on the safari bus. Which also bypasses the monkeys. Very sensible IMHO.

eurochick Sat 23-Jul-16 07:32:31

I am waiting to get the seals on my car repaired after visiting a couple of weeks ago. I suspect they will go for the rack.

startwig1982 Sat 23-Jul-16 07:45:56

We live down the road and regularly go in. The monkeys will have a field day with the bikes: I wouldn't go through. However, you can bypass the monkeys and do the rest or you can go through on a bus.

DiamondInTheRuff Sat 23-Jul-16 07:47:16

Also, bare in mind that a rack is going to provide the perfect perch for them to sit and destroy the back of your car..

BoBramble Sat 23-Jul-16 07:48:35

Not taking bikes, oh definitely not!
This is a pic of something similar that I have.

IJustAteTheKidsFoodAgain Sat 23-Jul-16 07:51:10

They have bus things - I would do that if you don't want to miss it

ChampagneTastes Sat 23-Jul-16 07:58:37

I swear the monkeys are equipped with tools - DH's car was ripped to pieces. Highly amusing if you don't love your car. Everyone ends up with monkeys sat on their roof and they like window trim and anything extra such as roofracks. You don't have to go through the monkey enclosure though.

BoBramble Sat 23-Jul-16 08:10:21

Great advice from everyone.

I think I'll take the bus through the monkey enclosure after all.

Thanks everyone.

ftmsoon Sat 23-Jul-16 08:25:20

Bo I think you have misunderstood. The safari is drive round in your car and use a cut through to avoid the monkey enclosure, as we did in May. Or pay extra and get the bus from the house for the entire drive round, which friends who used the campsite with a camper van did. If you do get the bus, sit on the bottom floor as the view is better when the animals come over.

TotalConfucius Sat 23-Jul-16 08:39:41

Also, never go through the monkey bit if you have a sunroof. They like nothing more than to squidge their private parts right up against the glass above your head causing much merriment amongst the under 10s, but making teenage girls go all hysterical and threaten to get out of the car.

Ticktacktock Sun 24-Jul-16 11:52:30

How hilarious! Dh said weeks in advance there was no way he was taking his car through the little vandals. We saw cars further on in the park with bits hanging off etc.

KitKat1985 Mon 25-Jul-16 14:02:15

Yes to echo other posters BO when I went a couple of years ago we drove around but there is a 'bypass' for people who don't want to take their cars through the monkey enclosure (and a lot of people choose to do this)!

RedRosie Mon 25-Jul-16 14:04:25

Avoid if in a hire car.

Bitter, bitter experience.

P1nkP0ppy Mon 25-Jul-16 14:09:24

When Longleat first opened you could only drive through, no bus option.
We watched the monkeys rip a vinyl roof off one car and emerge from underneath with a handful of wiring 😳
That decided it for us - DBIL was c...ping himself in case his car was next (he lost both windscreen wipers and the aerial)

Eve Mon 25-Jul-16 14:17:09

I've lost windscreen wipers and the squirty thing for washing windows,

Have you seen the you tube video of them opening a roof box? I think there are warning about not going in with one.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now