Talk

Advanced search

How much will it cost to go to New York?

(14 Posts)
jelly10 Wed 20-Jul-16 19:37:37

I've always wanted to go and current plan pipe dream is to go for my 40th in a couple of years. How much do you think it would cost all in - flights, hotel, spending money, etc.?

It would be me, DH, 2 DCs aged 7 and 10. I'm thinking 5 days, does that sound about right? Not too bothered about the time of year we go but it would have to be school holidays so probably May or October half term.

jelly10 Thu 21-Jul-16 07:28:14

Anyone?

Myusername2015 Thu 21-Jul-16 07:38:50

Well we went in May but don't have children; If you're lucky adult flights 600 each (that's what we paid) I'd go May It's lovely in Spring. Hotels very expensive we found-London prices. I'm sure 4 nights you could sort something for about £1000 total. Spending money just all depends! Hopefully the exchange rate will have picked up-restaurants are expensive but we used to grab pizza at lunch for a few dollars a slice etc plus lots of lovely free places-central park etc. We budgeted a £100 a day for everything which was fine but would be more if you have fine tastes. Hope that helps I loved New York!

bigTillyMint Thu 21-Jul-16 07:43:42

I took DD (was 16) last October half-term and we did a hotel room/flight package and it was about £1K each. We stayed in Manhattan close to Times Square. My friend who has been several times thought it seemed like a decent deal. I budgeted about £100 - £150 a day plus shopping money for us for sightseeing and eating in diners/coffee shops/deli's, etc (not interested in high-end as we live in London!)

It was fantastic and I can't wait to go back!

chipsandpeas Thu 21-Jul-16 07:46:50

at a rough guess id say about 5k

tbh i have no idea, flights and hotel will be your biggest expense - im going for 4 days in august, cant comment on how much its costing me as its part of a bigger holiday but the hotel for 2 is about 120 a night which is good imo for new york
it all depends on what you want to do, see and shop - i will have about $2k cash with me ( or access to) for 10 days in the US but everything big is paid for (flights hotel etc) think we are gettng the NY pass which is about $100 which give us entry to stuff and discounts as well

CMOTDibbler Thu 21-Jul-16 08:00:40

A look at BA holidays tells me they would do next Mays half term hotel and flights for £3.5k (I'd guess you could get quite a bit cheaper as BA are expensive currently compared to United).
Spending money will depend on what you want to do, what level of food you want. If you eat breakfast in the hotel, that would be around $30 each (plus tip, which is around 20% in NY, you must tip everyone), Starbucks $15 for porridge and a drink. I'd allow $100 a day each for food if you'll do a mix of things.
Look online for the kind of sightseeing things you'd like to do to set a budget

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Thu 21-Jul-16 08:08:56

We went a few years ago for 4/5 nights (I forget) with DC that age and it cost us a bit less than 5 grand all in - we'd had a legacy from my DGM. We stayed in quite a nice hotel with suites though because I refuse to share with the DC on a holiday, but we saved on flights by keeping the DC out of school for a day or two in order to fly off peak blush.

petitpois55 Thu 21-Jul-16 08:14:16

A lot is the answer! We are going over Christmas , so a particularly expensive time anyway.
flights for three were £650 each,- and that was in a sale.
Hotel for seven nights is around £1800, and that's room only. It is however in Manhattan and close to everything.
Then there's spending money for food, trips, sightseeing and other stuff. It's going to cost us a fortune, it'll be a fantastic holiday and we can't wait to go.
We're talking around 5 k aren't we [shocked]
It doesn't help that the pound is shit eitherangry

jelly10 Thu 21-Jul-16 20:50:48

Thanks everyone, so about £5k should hopefully do it - I'll start saving! Petitpois and chips hope you both have a fab time. I shall be back nearer the time asking for suggestions on hotels etc!

ApocalypseSlough Thu 21-Jul-16 20:52:06

That's not a good age to go with children. Go with your DH!

UnikittyInHerBusinessSuit Thu 21-Jul-16 21:03:55

I went with an 11 year old and a 9 year old and it was fabulous. But it depends on your children's interests, and you'd want your 7 year old to have resilient feet. I would say that most of the big New York sights are equally interesting to pre-teens and adults.

SwedishEdith Thu 21-Jul-16 21:29:02

My 9-yr old loved it. Cost for 4 of us for 6 nights was about £1200 each (flights, hotels and spends ). Flights and hotel booked through travel agent was better deal than doing it separately and happy to eat at delis/street food/diners/pizza etc.

petitpois55 Fri 22-Jul-16 11:06:08

The one thing i would say, having been to New York before is take a really decent pair of walking shoes. We walked our legs off when we were there and it's really essential to have good quality comfortable shoes .

We are going with our DD who will be 16. . We are doing some tourist stuff, but going to see live music stuff as well, a broadway show, as well as lots of shopping and eating out. smile
I think New York will be good for all but very young children. I wouldn't take a five year old, though. Think it would be wasted on them tbh.
Get saving Jelly It is totally worth it.

suit2845321oie Fri 22-Jul-16 23:28:07

It's so the perfect age to go with children, they will love it. They're old enough to do pretty much everything and will be awestruck. We did it earlier this year for just over £3k for 5 of us plus spending money. My tip if you go when it's hot is to stop in all the parks you pass, they all have great playgrounds and water fountains to play in. It was definitely one of our best holidays with kids that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now