Talk

Advanced search

The heat in Marrakesh

(9 Posts)
nelster Mon 18-Jul-16 07:18:14

I am travelling with my 2 yr old son tomorrow and the forecast in Marrakech is 45 degrees. He is very heat sun sensitive. Last year we made this trip and he cried for 3 consecutive days as he found it so disagreeable so we cut our holiday short and came home. As the weather is going to be even hotter this year we are considering cancelling but will lose 1k in travel etc. Any advice. We are hoping we can go and he'll be better this year ...

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 18-Jul-16 07:24:08

Can I ask why you're going - is this for holiday, seeing family, work? That might have a bearing on the answers.
Where are you staying - hotel (modern or riad), house?

Artandco Mon 18-Jul-16 07:27:44

It's fine.

But stick to staying in the shade or indoors 11-5pm when hottest. And spend the long evenings outside where he can play in evenings when it's cooler

YouSay Mon 18-Jul-16 07:29:19

I am baffled why you rebooked if your dc is heat sensitive.

TheresAlwaysTimeForTea Mon 18-Jul-16 07:30:47

We went around this time last year and found it incredibly hot. I would try and avoid the middle of the day heat as much as possible and maybe use a mobile fan for your son - perhaps you can clip it to his buggy?

lastnightiwenttomanderley Mon 18-Jul-16 07:35:07

As PP have said, it's an odd time of year to go if your son is heat sensitive. Spring or Autumn would be much more pleasant, though presumably it's cheaper at the moment for that very reason.

You can make it bearable for him but personally I wouldn't have booked it in the first place given your prior experience. Which is why I'm wondering whether there's an overriding reason why you're going there?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 18-Jul-16 08:03:55

No idea why you'd rebook something when you had to cut it short last year confused

nelster Mon 18-Jul-16 08:04:29

I didn't explain yes we are staying in our family home and it's the only time my husband's been able to get time off work which is the reason we booked now

VulpesVulpes Mon 18-Jul-16 08:05:23

I live in a place that gets hot, humid summers (much less hot than where you're going though) which I really can't deal with, so here's a few things I do to try to handle it, maybe you can try some. Some are super obvious but I'll post anyway:

I soak my Tshirt and wear it wet, it drys pretty quickly but it really helps keep me cooler. I do the same with my hair, you could get a wet cloth or hat for his head if he doesn't have long hair.

I spend as much time in the shade, of course, and I do things like partially filling the bath with cold water to cool the flat. The bathroom is lovely when I do that! So if do this in the hotel or whatever you are staying in then at least you will have a cool place for at the least night time so he is able to sleep a bit better. If I get a good nights sleep I cope better with the heat in the day.

I never open my curtains in full summer, I know it's habit to open them but it's important to keep the indoors as cool as possible.

Drink at least four litres of water a day. I use glass bottles and keep the three on not using in the fridge well in advance so they are cool.

Don't eat bit heavy meals as I can't digest them in the heat haha it makes me feel sick. Watermelon and salads are the way to go, and lots of small meals, never a big one.

I can't as I'm allergic to perfume, but you can get suncream that's like a mousse which would mean none of that constantly moist feel that most suncream seems to give (or is that just me?).

Wear white clothes that are baggy and touch as little skin as possible. I wear dresses all summer usually as even the waistband on shorts is horrible and ends up all sweaty and making me feel rubbish.

If you can, take him out for a swim in the mornings and evenings before it gets really sunny. Playing in the water or even paddling guided by you will get rid of a lot of energy. I go for morning jogs with my dog to tire us both out (wish I could go swimming somewhere) as otherwise I have this weird mix of energy but too hot to do anything as it warms up during the day which makes me really grumpy haha!

Anyway there you go, some of these will be no help at all, some might be useful or might make you think of something else. Hope it helps and I will be eagerly awaiting other posts so I can get more tips for myself! Where I live it gets up to 35 (sometimes more) in summer and I'm already finding 25+ unbearable haha. I'm a snow/rain lover! confusedgrin

Have a great holiday if you decide to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now