Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Flying with a baby

(14 Posts)
Nottsangel2015 Sun 17-Jul-16 06:52:48

Hi guys, been abroad countless times but only since dd1 was 2 so no experience of flying with an infant. Any advice? Dd2 is just 1 but was prem so more on par with a 9-10 month. I'm very anxious about the flight (4 hours) she is a fidgety one and hates been sat still she wants to be on the floor exploring all the time.
Does anyone have any tips? Our flight out is 4pm so she will prob nap for a little while and I'm taking some hand held toys and snacks for her plus bottle of milk for helping with pressure but just worried she's going to kick off been stuck on my knee for 4 hours. Our flight back is 9pm so hoping she will sleep most of that as its late.
Thanks in advance

orangebird69 Sun 17-Jul-16 06:59:58

My ds is 9mo now and I've flown a 7 hour flight with him every 6 weeks or so since he was 6 weeks old. Load up the ipad with cbeebies, snacks, chewy toys and pack a cushion if you can. I still bf which makes things easier tbh. If melt down happen, they happen. Just keep in mind the flight will be over soon. If you can book a end of row seat/bulk head seat, do so. At least then you can get up and down to walk about a bit if baby gets too restless like my son who thinks that sitting down is for losers.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jul-16 07:27:34

You may need to rethink the bottle of milk, due to hand luggage liquid restrictions. You can't take liquid containers of more than 100 ml volume, although you could take an empty bottle and see if you can buy some milk airside. When I flew with baby DS a few years ago, security made me throw away the baby milk I had, despite me having an email from the airport saying it would be OK.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jul-16 07:29:08

Pack enough food/nappies etc in your hand luggage for any delays.

StorminaBcup Sun 17-Jul-16 07:38:19

I haven't had any issues with bottles over the past few years with either of my two. I use aptamil and take two / three ready made bottles which are sealed.

SavoyCabbage Sun 17-Jul-16 07:42:48

You can take food for an infant Bike. That is not included used in the 100mls restrictions. I took nine bottles full of milk when I went to Australia.

orangebird69 Sun 17-Jul-16 07:45:57

What pp's said. If you have a baby with you the restrictions on 100ml liquids don't count for baby milk etc.

Tinklypoo Sun 17-Jul-16 07:48:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CatsCantFlyFast Sun 17-Jul-16 07:49:11

I HATE bulkhead seats with babies as the arm rests are fixed so holding a sleeping baby is very uncomfortable, as is breastfeeding

Lots of small toys, lots of snacks, throw the rules and schedule out the window and go with what they need

Nottsangel2015 Sun 17-Jul-16 07:52:42

Thank you for the tips, wasn't aware I could take ready made so think I'll definitely do that as easier than pre making at home and can take enough to last.
We are sitting on an isle seat as when we booked the seats that was the one which was adaptable for an infant on your lap. We are also 3rd row from back so near toilet etc... So hopefully space to get up with her.
Sorry if I'm dumb lol what's a bulkhead seat?

Tinklypoo Sun 17-Jul-16 07:55:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Nottsangel2015 Sun 17-Jul-16 08:14:25

Thank you! Shall avoid in future then as I always get cold on flights regardless of where I sit.

BikeRunSki Sun 17-Jul-16 08:23:30

Good to know that security is sensible about milk now!

Natasha294 Mon 06-Mar-17 15:25:37

My newborn will be 7 weeks old when we first take her on a flight to France for a friends wedding. Does anyone have advice on flying with a newborn?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now