Ferry to France - feeling nervous

(6 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Sat 16-Jul-16 17:00:17

Dover to Calais (and return). Once in France, we're staying in literally the middle of rural nowhere with nothing planned involving crowds so not too concerned about that. DH wants to leave off going to Disney this year. But, to me, it seems the biggest risk of the whole holiday is the ferry crossing...surely you're a bit of a sitting duck and whenever we've been before there's literally no security on the ferry itself. Thoughts? Such horrible times we're living in, to have to think this way.

OldLagNewName Sat 16-Jul-16 18:31:26

I wouldn't be worried. I'm booked on Eurotunnel later in the summer, which strikes me as a much better target than a ferry -much more disruptive than a single boat. But I'm not worried about that either. The chances of you being involved are so very very small. But I realise that doesn't really help if you've got worried!

Kirriemuir Sun 17-Jul-16 05:30:46

We travelled to DLP 9 days after Charlie Hebdo and again 4 days after the attacks in November. The only thing we changed was to move from an offsite hotel in November to the main DLP hotel which is at the gates. I wasn't worried but DH was hence the move.

Security is very tight in the parks. Armed security and dogs as well as undercover armed police. We felt very secure.

lbsjob87 Wed 20-Jul-16 00:31:40

Strangely enough, I have been going over the exact same scenario in my head as we are doing the same next month.
We also plan to reconsider our original idea to go to DL/Paris etc
Part of me thinks that if you start worrying about every scenario, you will end up a paranoid wreck, and also I am a massive believer in fate, and what will be will be, but on the other hand, it feels reckless, almost, to assume we will be safe.
Even the idea of going but avoiding crowded areas has been disturbed today by the reports of a family being stabbed by a fellow holidaymaker at a resort because of the way they were dressed.
But I have friends who are in France now and others who just got back, and they have had a great time with no problems.

Tough choice

hemel07 Wed 20-Jul-16 07:08:22

I feel exactly the same OP. Security pre boarding the ferry, I am assuming, will be pretty tight and once we're on I guess nobody can just jump aboard. I felt sick last night when I read about the women and her girls being stabbed. France just seems really unstable at the moment. I know it could happen anywhere in the current climate, but it does feel like its becoming a regular occurrence in France. I wish we weren't going to be honest but not sure what to do about it. Sorry, none of that is helpful, don't know what to say really!

confusedandemployed Wed 20-Jul-16 07:10:28

We're sailing on Saturday. I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind, but we're still going.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now