Would you rent a house for a family holiday without a pool?

(24 Posts)
Martha2000 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:08:07

I've found a lovely house for us to stay in France for 5 days this August- lovely huge garden but no pool. There are pools/rivers etc we can drive to nearby- but I'm worried kids won't have enough to keep them happy and if it's hot it'll be a nightmare! Would you go on holiday with kids to a house without a pool??

PotteringAlong Thu 14-Jul-16 14:09:08

Not abroad, no.

PartiallyStars Thu 14-Jul-16 14:09:39

Not unless it was in the UK or within walking distance of a beach

Martha2000 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:10:19

Think the fact that I'm worried about it means it's probably a no!!

Martha2000 Thu 14-Jul-16 14:11:06

Have to drive to pools, lakes etc. Gah if only it had a pool! It's perfect in all other ways...

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 14-Jul-16 14:16:07

Yes, we book gites/holiday lets every year and have never had one with a pool, have always had fun.

IAmAPaleontologist Thu 14-Jul-16 14:16:42

Have you got a link? I love being nosy.

EvangelineP Thu 14-Jul-16 14:17:52

No. But I have older kids who love to swim and younger ones that need to nap so onsite pool is a must.

rainbowmagic1974 Thu 14-Jul-16 17:25:24

No. Kids love the pool and good for downtime .

Duckyneedsaclean Thu 14-Jul-16 17:26:34

Yes.

frenchfancy Thu 14-Jul-16 17:36:23

If it is northern France then it is no different from renting in Kent or Cornwall without a pool. Further south then the weather is more likely to be hot so a pool would be a definite bonus.

Houses without pools are normally much cheaper though.

Artandco Thu 14-Jul-16 17:37:55

Yes. Unless I'm in the Middle East I always find outdoor pools way too cold so we never use anyway.

Helenluvsrob Thu 14-Jul-16 17:39:47

Most definitely yes. TBH with small kids a pool would terrify me. I don't think I could relax until they were very competent swimmers at 6-7 to allow them in alone and even then I'd read a book with half an eye- it only takes a bumped head or slip on the pool edge..

And, I know you can't tell but i'm not a paranoid parent!

Hulababy Thu 14-Jul-16 17:44:34

It's pretty much a must for us when we book places abroad. Once we go past late September it must be heated too. We prefer a private pool too rather than communal.

Hassled Thu 14-Jul-16 17:50:48

We booked somewhere without a pool once and it was badly, badly missed. A big mistake. A pool is essential as far as I'm concerned.

mouldycheesefan Fri 15-Jul-16 07:46:42

No, pool is essential part of holiday for us.

Wildernesstips Thu 21-Jul-16 19:19:58

We always go to France and this is the first year we have booked a place with a pool, so it is doable. We go on lots of trips out and often find lake, sea or public pool to swim in.

228agreenend Thu 21-Jul-16 19:25:29

We've frequently stayed at small holiday parks, cottages, gites etc without a pool. It's not an essential for us.

BackforGood Thu 21-Jul-16 23:02:41

In UK, yes.
Abroad, no. My dc spend most of their waking time in the water - it would be pointless.

eightytwenty Thu 21-Jul-16 23:07:36

We are just back from hot central France. We didn't have a pool but all missed not having one. When it was very hot we ended up spending time indoors to cool off. Trips to lakes and pools were done but you all have to go and you all have to come back. It doesn't allow for a quick dip after dinner/ people doing it at different times/ for different amounts of times. We do it for family obligations but it's not our choice.

HeadDreamer Fri 22-Jul-16 08:23:21

Yes. We seldom go overseas to just use the pool.

Draylon Fri 22-Jul-16 15:25:01

Villa in Spain- absolutely essential! grin. It's part and parcel of our holiday experience.

rookiemere Fri 22-Jul-16 19:28:51

For 5 days I would say that a pool is not essential, but desirable.

We're just back from Spain and the DCs (our DS and our friends DDs) were in the pool at least once per day, but also enjoyed using the table tennis and pool table, so maybe you could think of other activities.

We have a tradition now that I bring along a portable Bingo set, and this year we had a beetle drive, so there is other stuff you can do.

bitofabelly Tue 26-Jul-16 22:00:50

I'm in France at the moment and its 33 degrees. Pool has been a life saver. It means we can all go outside...cool down, have fun. Sight seeing in this weather would kill us as we are fair skinned. It's more expensive but for us, it's what makes the holiday different to any other house. Our pool is gated, but the lads are in and out 5/6 times a day!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now