Advanced search

Help! Car insurance driving in the States

(4 Posts)
Sootica Tue 12-Jul-16 16:18:42

We are travelling to the states next week.
We are staying with family and my uncle are going to lend us a car rather than hire one.
My car insurance company won't extend cover to us to drive a vehicle in the US
I don't think we'll be covered with foreign drivers licences on my uncle's insurance.
Can anyone suggest anything!!

My only solution so far seems to be to decline to borrow a car and hire one instead with hire car insurance (expensive).

Anything I haven't thought of - help!

lljkk Tue 12-Jul-16 16:27:14

Are U sure about uncle's insurance? My relatives swear my UK license is valid with their insurance.

Sootica Tue 12-Jul-16 21:09:21

Hmm I spoke to my Aunty on Saturday and discussed insurance and she said their insurance covers THEM to drive in the Europe etc (they travel a lot) and so she hoped ours would cover us in the US.
She seemed pretty clear we'd need to check with our own insurance but I'll double check with her
I've been googling and it seems US insurance policies often won't cover foreign drivers or only for £££££ as its a big problem for expats

lovelybangers Tue 12-Jul-16 21:47:34

I used to drive my DF's car in the US - he said that the car was insured - rather than the person ?

I carried my UK driving licence with me - no special International permit.

but there must be some way to check this out to be 100% sure. Try looking on Trip Advisor - go on the USA destination forum and ask on there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now