Talk

Advanced search

Can Canadian Transit Passengers leave Heathrow for a few hours??

(5 Posts)
Knightridergirl Tue 12-Jul-16 14:14:50

My cousin is soon having a layover in Heathrow for 11 hours as a transit passenger and I cant find a straight answer for this anywhere!
Will she be able to leave the airport to have lunch with me before checking in for her connecting flight later the same day?
I cannot get through to a human being through Heathrow information;
the .gov site has only specified that Canadians don't need a visa to enter the UK and Canada airlines have told me to ask Heathrow!

kansasmum Tue 12-Jul-16 14:42:51

You need to check with the airline as some tickets allow it and others don't. She should have boarding passes for whole journey if only in Heathrow as transit but if leaving airport she will need to go through customs and immigration on leaving like a non transit person, and obviously go through security again on re entering the airport.

KP86 Tue 12-Jul-16 14:56:44

Can't see why it would be an issue, I assume they would grant a 6 month visitor visa on the spot (like for some other countries) when she went through immigration and customs.

AttilaTheMeerkat Tue 12-Jul-16 15:23:11

www.gov.uk/transit-visa/overview is useful to read.

Knightridergirl Tue 12-Jul-16 19:24:05

kansasmum, thanks for this, if she can come out I'll definitely keep this in mind to keep more time on our hands. I suspect she'll have to check in as normal for her onward flight.
KP86, thanks, I didn't know this.
AttilaTheMeerkat, many thanks for the link, it says Canadians don't need this type of visa so fingers crossed she'll be good to go!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now