Talk

Advanced search

single parent: I've booked a too long holiday... any corfu tips?

(14 Posts)
slowandfrumpy Sun 10-Jul-16 19:57:41

OK. This feels like a real middle class problem. But I'm a single mum with two kids (who thankfully get on well) but young (under ten) and I've booked - in a moment of madness - TWO WEEKS IN CORFU. I've been to the hotel before and it's very nice but very middle aged. Corfu seemed lovely but... WTF am I going to do for two weeks. The kids are going to play and swim. But WTF am I going to do. I'm going to be bored witless. WTF have I done.
Any tips to help me enjoy myself in Corfu?
Anything that might engage my mind?
Help!

Heatherbell1978 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:02:38

Hi you say you've been before so what did you do last time? Corfu is lovely, we've just returned. If your kids are happy playing in the pool all day (at that age I think most are?) then you can read? Visit the old town for some culture? Hire a car and visit some other beaches? Or just enjoy lying by the pool.

slowandfrumpy Sun 10-Jul-16 20:04:53

last time we sat by the pool and eat food. but i don't want to do that again. i've done that before. kids happy at the thought. but two weeks seems too long. how long did you go for?
did you do any day trips on boats,
or visit anywhere besides corfu town?

Heatherbell1978 Sun 10-Jul-16 20:23:28

Hi we were there for a week. I have a 22 month old though so couldn't really do much in the way of boat trips etc. We were in a family friendly resort so it was mainly about him. When he napped we just lay in the sun and read. There were plenty trips on offer by the reps though. If he was older (and didn't need to nap in the day) we'd have hired a car as there are a lot of lovely beaches. The old town is nice too.

pseudonymph Sun 10-Jul-16 20:28:30

Visit the Achilleion. Take a day trip across the water to Butrint. Read My Family and Other Animals (or watch new series) and Prospero's Cell.

OnyK Sun 10-Jul-16 20:55:56

Where are you based? A trip to Erikousa island is a nice day trip.

slowandfrumpy Sun 10-Jul-16 21:21:02

OK.
Has anyone been to aqua land. sounds like a horror to me but thought th kids would like it.
anyone done a good boat trip (and are these expensive and if so to where)
Erikousa
anyone gone to albania for the day
and what about the glass bottom boat trips in corfu town?
anyone done?
worth it?

BarbaraofSeville Mon 11-Jul-16 13:54:30

The waterpark will be lots of fun, honestly. Albania sounds interesting.

I also love snorkelling and swimming in the sea. Reading while kids play?

Boat trips often visit little islands, or stop for snorkelling.

Are there any historical sites or museums?

lalalalyra Mon 11-Jul-16 17:53:33

Last time we went we went to aqualand (we went twice, but my lot are all water babies), we went to the aquarium, went to Corfu Town for the day, took two boat trips (one glass bottomed and one just a trip out to another island) and we also done a Greek night with proper plate smashing etc.

Add that into a few days at the beach and a few by the pool and it was time to come before we knew it.

concertplayer Wed 13-Jul-16 18:05:31

They play cricket on a field in the capital (and i think you can have tea
while you watch) !

SooticaTheWitchesCat Thu 14-Jul-16 13:46:22

Where in Corfu are you going?

We did the trip to Albania with our children and we really enjoyed it, we visited Saranda Town, the ruins in Butrint and the Blue Eye, a freshwater spring, which was beautiful.

We hired a car and drove round the North part of the island and to Corfu Town.

We did a Greek night and we were going to do a boat trip but never got round to it. We went to a small water park once too.

There is plenty to do there.

Makemineacabsauv Sat 16-Jul-16 19:32:56

I'm a single parent and am just back from 2 weeks in Corfu with 2 young teenagers. We had such a good time we're going for 3 weeks next year! We did a boat trip in the evening to Corfu town and kids wanted to eat at McDonalds (a holiday highlight half way through!) plus some shopping. Boat trip back with sunset was fab. Also did aqua land which kids loved and I lay on a sun lounger and read a book! Did oaxos and antipaxos boat trip but don't think it was kids best day out apart from jumping off the boat into the water. That's why we didn't do Albania (I've been before ) as they're not interested in ancient ruins. We tended to get up late, go to beach or pool where they messed about with other kids and inflatables. They went on water sports as well. Evenings we went for dinner and they sat on wifi! Met lots of new friends and it was great!! Did 3 Greek nights but locals not professional dancers do lots of fun. You'll have a ball!

Makemineacabsauv Sat 16-Jul-16 19:35:20

Sorry went off on a tangent there!! Load a kindle with loads of books. Talk to people - I always meet lots of interesting people on holiday and go on days out!

ladydoer Mon 25-Jul-16 16:38:13

2 weeks? That's hardly enough to see everything Corfu can offer.
First, if you enjoy sightseeing, check the best sights in Corfu on Tripadvisor:
www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g189458-Activities-Corfu_Ionian_Islands.html

I've seen most of them, Achilleon and Corfu old town being my most favorite spots.

if you/your kids enjoy sports - take them on organized bike tours, rent a kayak, learn to wind surf..2 weeks is your best chance to take some water sports lessons (you will enjoy them too, so - join your kids smile During sports lessons you are bound to get to know so many people and learn so much - you will all return energized and happy!

Enjoy Corfu - it's an amazing island!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now