Driving ideas to France

(23 Posts)
Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:36:05

I'm looking to go to France on the 19 th August for 4 nights. But wanted to drive as we have a 15 month old whose a little difficult on travel and we thought it could be nice to have a few stops along the way. It will be my husband my 16 year old son 15 month old daughter and me. Does anyone recommend places to stay or any car travel tips as we've never been abroad driving.

Jenijena Tue 05-Jul-16 19:36:57

Where in the uk are you, whereabouts in France are you driving to, and which crossing?

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 19:44:12

I'm in SW London. So we will be crossing from Dover. That's my problem. Im not sure where in France we should be heading.

Footle Tue 05-Jul-16 19:50:03

France is a large country. Can you narrow it down a bit ?

Branleuse Tue 05-Jul-16 19:52:22

if youre only going for 4 days, I wouldnt go far. Maybe Le Touquet?

Do you have some idea in mind of what you want?

Campsite, caravan, hotel?

Jenijena Tue 05-Jul-16 20:08:47

You could also sail from Portsmouth and head towards Brittany. Driving is easy unless you get sucked into the centre of Paris. There are different requirements for cars (eg hi vis jackets and breathalysers) you need to check out. In four days I wouldn't bother going too far. What about Normandy - D Day beaches, Bayeux Tapestry, cheese and calvados?

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 20:24:00

I wouldn't go to Paris. But Brittany sounds good. Is there any specific places people may know. Have visited and experienced.

Jenijena Tue 05-Jul-16 21:20:34

Calais - Brittany is a bugger of a drive if you're only there for four days, so I'd only head that way if you sail from Portsmouth. However the Portsmouth crossings are more expensive. But eg the overnight ferry to st malo. 2 hr 20 minute drive and you're in Carnac, famous for standing stones (think Stonehenge). Beautiful beaches. Vannes and Auray nearby for nice trips out. Lots of eating places - particularly the regional speciality, crepes - pancake - which can be savoury or sweet..

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 21:30:22

Jenijena- sounds great will look into that. Thank you.

sunnydayinmay Tue 05-Jul-16 21:44:42

Don't know if you'd get a ferry to Brittany at this short notice. We usually book our May crossing several months in advance.

For four days, I'd go via the Tunnel, and drive along the coast. Maybe as far as Le Havre (don't go there, but cross the bridge and go to Honfleur). Le Touquet is lovely to stop on route, and Wimereux is a traditional seaside town and a nice afternoon out

Honfleur should take about three hours from the Tunnel, so very drivable. Brittany takes six, so wouldn't bother for four days.

When we are driving, we just book family rooms in Novotels, or other Accor hotels (dcs currently love Ibistyles for some reason).

Enjoy.

sunnydayinmay Tue 05-Jul-16 21:47:14

Sorry, just reread - has your 16 year old seen the Bayuex Tapestry? Bit further along, but worth going to.

Jenijena Tue 05-Jul-16 21:49:57

I do think bayeux / D day beaches would be good...

annandale Tue 05-Jul-16 21:50:14

We're taking the shuttle and going to Boulogne for three nights this summer. We went to Brittany last year and loved it but won't go again until we can afford the ferry, the drive is just too long (we live in the Midlands).

With a 15 month old I think Wimereux is a great idea. I'd go self catering, enjoy the beach, go to Boulogne market on Saturday and visit the Nausicaa aquarium.

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:06:33

Wow. Thank you all for the ideas. Will look them all up. Just wanted to add one more thing. DH is bugging me to find somewhere he could do fishing. I think for four days it's not even worth looking into that. But has anyone seen or been fishing their. confused

sunnydayinmay Tue 05-Jul-16 22:14:18

www.gourmetfly.com/NormA.html
No idea, but google came up with this?

BertieBotts Tue 05-Jul-16 22:17:52

Try searching this website. Just stick a town in and you'll find nearby places. It has an option to pick attractions like fishing etc. We found it cheaper than AirBnB even smile

en.gites-de-france.com/

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:20:45

Thank you so much sunnydayinmay. Very helpful. smile

annandale Tue 05-Jul-16 22:23:55

what kind of fishing - sea, carp, angling?

Cathaka15 Tue 05-Jul-16 22:44:45

I have no idea what kind of fishing. He said can you try to find somewhere with a river near by so I can fish. He may have added other info but I clocked out Zzzz. Bertie- that's brill thanks.

Branleuse Wed 06-Jul-16 09:47:30

the eurocamp near paris croix de vieux pont, north of paris is only a couple of hours drive from calais, and has fishing lakes and loads of stuff to do for all ages

Branleuse Wed 06-Jul-16 09:48:24

www.eurocamp.co.uk/campsites/paris/pa012-la-croix-du-vieux-pont/ataglance.html

DrDreReturns Wed 06-Jul-16 09:51:16

We stayed in a gite once in Marquise, which is only thirty minutes drive from Calais. Northern France is actually quite pleasant, we went to the beach at Boulogne and had a day trip to Lille amongst other things.

Branleuse Wed 06-Jul-16 12:22:24

the beaches of northern france are spectacular

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now