Talk

Advanced search

Car seat laws in Italy

(12 Posts)
CountryLovingGirl Fri 01-Jul-16 21:14:27

Hi,
Does anyone know the car seat laws in Italy - for an 8 year old?
I have read different advice on the web!

Janek Sat 02-Jul-16 20:41:44

I believe they 'have' to use a booster seat until they are 1m50, so 15cm bigger than in the uk. My ten year old used one in may half term for this very reason. We took a booster for the hire car, but when we got there (IL's apartment) she reverted to her old high backed booster (that lives there) as she finds it more comfortable.

She uses nothing at home. I would love it if you told me that it was unnecessary for her though, as that booster seat took up a lot of room in my rucksack!

Micah Sat 02-Jul-16 20:47:21

Marking place.

I was going to take a booster anyway, one of those trunki backpack things. Wasn't sure if we needed a hbb though, or jyst tge seat...

Janek Sat 02-Jul-16 20:55:31

I think my investigations revealed that it was deemed safe to go onto a booster sooner than i would allow it, but then the booster was needed for longer iyswim. I used the booster to avoid getting into trouble, not for safety!

But the booster sooner issue was irrelevant to me because a) i wouldn't have done it and b) we already had suitable hbbs there.

Actually, i've just realised dd2 used a booster too, until we got there and could use her hbb. She is 7.

Sgtmajormummy Sat 02-Jul-16 20:55:53

It goes by the weight of your child.
Between 22-36 kilos (approximatelt 6-12 years old) they MUST have a booster seat (Group3). After it's advisable but not obligatoryuntil they can use an adult's seatbelt properly.

Janek Sat 02-Jul-16 20:58:01

Oh, that contradicts what i 'know'. Hmm. By 10yr old weighs about 26 kg, she may never weigh 36kg... Will she have to use a booster seat forever (or till she's 15), or is there an age cut off too?

Sgtmajormummy Sat 02-Jul-16 21:08:19

I live in Italy and I've just checked the Italian State Police site.
The screenshot says "children must use a seat up to 36 kilos, after 18 kilos a booster is acceptable" .

My DD stopped using hers at ten because she was well over the weight restriction!

Sgtmajormummy Sat 02-Jul-16 21:14:39

In the case of your daughter Janek I suppose she'd have to wait until she's 1.50m tall when seatbelts are judged to be effective.

Nicnak2223 Sat 02-Jul-16 21:15:15

Janek. I'm pretty sure your DD will be 36kgs one day....

Janek Sat 02-Jul-16 22:43:30

Thank you for your comforting words niknak!

Sgtmajor, thank you so much, that is really helpful. As long as we can still aim for 1m50 that will be fine. Funny we think that 1m35 is acceptable in this country... I'm regretting letting her out of the hbb now. I was such a stickler until she was 1m36.

She is legal in france too. But not in ireland. And we don't go anywhere else!

CountryLovingGirl Sun 03-Jul-16 20:24:03

Thanks everyone. I thought a booster would be fine so will have to take one with me in the suitcase (car hire places want almost £50 to hire one)!

LIZS Sun 03-Jul-16 20:27:01

We took a Bubblebum for dd. I've a feeling they also can't travel in front under 12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now