Talk

Advanced search

Help! Need to book holiday but don't know where to go.

(14 Posts)
BerrySquash Fri 01-Jul-16 18:08:33

Got £2k max to spend including flights, food, accommodation, spending money. We'd like to book this weekend to go first week of August, but we have no idea where to go confused. Can anyone suggest where is safe to travel to and good for primary school aged children?

LIZS Fri 01-Jul-16 18:12:59

What facilities are you looking for? Could be tight for anything other than self catering.

user1467042399 Sat 02-Jul-16 08:49:58

You should wait two weeks before and get a late deal you would save a fortune.

Costacoffeeplease Sat 02-Jul-16 09:01:44

I think you will struggle to find 'safe' destinations with availability at the beginning of August - I look after rental apartments in the Algarve and the last week in July/first two weeks of August are the busiest weeks of the whole year, and are often booked 10 months in advance

leccybill Sat 02-Jul-16 09:10:59

£2k isn't much for August and a lot will have gone as Turkey and Egypt are out this year.
We're going to Crete on 5 Aug. One DD.
£2.9k

Hulababy Sat 02-Jul-16 09:25:39

In school holidays there are really last minute deals in afraid.

Have a look at where Ryan air or easy jet fly and see what flights take your fancy.

Then take a look at holiday lettings or HomeAway at apartments or villas. Or possible Airbnb - not used it may self but some people swear by it.

JustABigBearAlan Sat 02-Jul-16 09:42:17

I think it will be difficult to do it for that price - esp if you want it to include food and spending money as well as travel and accommodation.

Does it have to be the first week of August? Often the last week is cheaper as in some countries schools have gone back by then.

It massively depends what you want to do and where you'd like to go! Eurocamp type places might be available. If you drive and take the ferry then that would be a possibility.

Or, and I've just done a sample search for you, use travel supermarket and type 'anywhere' in the destination box.

www.travelsupermarket.com/en-gb/holidays/results/5310a3fa823ab0522c0a32d4/56374488e4b00555cedbb8c9/2016-07-30/7/?room=A2:C6:C8

This search is from London and I had to guess the ages of your children, but you could do a more accurate search with the correct details!

theredjellybean Sat 02-Jul-16 15:24:26

i disagree with posters saying no availabilty. I have just booked for 4 of us to go away in 2 weeks time and had masses of choice...overwhelmed by it infact. though budget was bigger.

I am now doing another holiday search for third week in august and again loads of choice.
I would suggest eurocamp type thing as easy to self cater cheaply and kids love it

BackforGood Sat 02-Jul-16 15:29:54

theredjellybean - two weeks time is still term time for most of England and Wales though. Very different thing from 1st 2 weeks in August, even before you mentioned the bigger budget

LIZS Sat 02-Jul-16 16:34:24

You could look at P and V complexes , mainly in France but also Spain and Italy. At this stage driving would be cheaper than flying but you could look at mid week flights as demand tends to be lower.

JustABigBearAlan Sat 02-Jul-16 16:35:56

Yes, it's more the availability in cheaper resorts/accommodation that's the tricky thing rather than availability full stop! You'll always find something, it's more a question of whether it's exactly what you want or can afford to pay.

Plus as BackforGood says the difference between term term and school holidays is huge.

chunkymum1 Sat 02-Jul-16 16:48:32

I'm currently looking for something for the last week in August or start of August and have been surprised how much is still available. In terms of budget I suppose it depends what your priorities are- there seems to be quite a bit in 'cheap and cheerful' type resorts for less than 2k so it depends how much you think you'll need for spending money etc. In my experience, if you have a strict budget and DC, it's easier to avoid pressure to overspend if you go all inclusive but quality of food/drinks might not be exactly what you'd want. For less than 2k in August though you'd definitely have to go for the low stars and a less sought after resort.

In terms of locations, we've found Menorca is great for younger children- there are nice beaches etc but no nightclubs/hen parties etc- not sure you'd get this in your budget though. We're currently trying to get our heads around other potential resorts (DH would happily do Menorca every year but I'd like a change) so watching this thread with interest.

I've seen quite a few good deals to mainland Spain/Canary Islands- anyone got any tips on what resorts there are good for primary school aged children and two parents with a low tolerance for noise/drunken brits abroad

theredjellybean Sat 02-Jul-16 16:50:16

i just searched for first week in august for 2 adults and 2 children and came up with 1000+ holidays, admittedly lots over budget and lots in turkey !
pierre e vacance has a 1 bed appt in teneriffe in complex with pools /beach and kids entertainment for that week for £434 , flights coming in at £1010 with thomas cook from gatwick, does not leave much for food etc but is doable.

theredjellybean Sat 02-Jul-16 16:55:56

or ..not sure if your type of thing ...crystal have holidays in slovenia in mountains, half board for the week at £1880 for 4 people.
or several similar in austria, all half board, all under 2 k , there is walking, going up cable cars, bikes, pools , lakes to canoe on etc etc...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now