Talk

Advanced search

Moving to Scotland

(13 Posts)
user1467306891 Thu 30-Jun-16 18:24:38

I'm currently living in Canada and my family is looking to move to Scotland (we have a one year old daughter). My husband's job will be taking him throughout the country working on various projects but his family lives just north of Glasgow so we're looking to find a rental in the Glasgow area.
Can you please give me some advice on the best areas to raise a young family? My husband wants us to live in Cumbernauld but the rental market isn't great I'm finding. I would love to be close to some parks for the little one and walking trails as we have two dogs. It would be nice to be somewhat close to a gym and supermarket as well.
TIA 🙂

TheFirie Fri 01-Jul-16 04:55:12

There is a "local' section on MN. For Glasgow go here local.mumsnet.com/Talk/local_glasgow > I am sure someone will be able to help you!

LunaLoveg00d Mon 04-Jul-16 09:59:14

Best areas to the north of Glasgow are Bearsden and Milngavie. We have lots of gyms and supermarkets and great schools.

Tonis2297 Mon 04-Jul-16 10:05:45

Milngavie is very expensive it will depend on your budget tbh what exactly are you looking for ie how many bedrooms , house or flat , garden , do you drive? We live 15 minutes outside Glasgow smile my dad also owns a business in Glasgow too , so know a lot about the city

Groovee Mon 04-Jul-16 10:07:14

Try the Scotsnet board too x

user1467306891 Mon 04-Jul-16 17:46:00

Thank you! We're looking for a house with a garden. I'll eventually be driving once I learn how to drive on the other side of the road 😁
Budget can be no more then $950pcm... maybe a bit more if it's furnished

LunaLoveg00d Mon 04-Jul-16 17:53:37

$950 Canadian is around £550 sterling - look on Rightmove www.rightmove.co.uk/ under the rentals section to see what you could get in your budget. You won't get anything in Bearsden/Milngavie on that budget, and to be honest on £550 a month you won't get a house with a garden in a decent area unless you are way out in the sticks which is no good if you're not driving. A flat possibly, although remember Glasgow is a University city and rental prices are kept high by a constant turnover of students.

user1467695419 Tue 05-Jul-16 06:47:45

Hey, I live with my wife and 1 year old son in Clarkston about 3 miles from Glasgow. And Its most affordable place whom worker and retired person. And You can access a bus transport to Glasgow from Clarkston.

soupmaker Tue 05-Jul-16 06:59:18

Check out the Southside of Glasgow. We live near Bellahouston Park which has a sports centre in it and we have access to the three main motorways within minutes, so good for your DH, but it's quiet and less than 15 minutes into town.

Abraiid1 Tue 05-Jul-16 07:03:03

I wouldn't live in Cumbernauld.

catlover1987 Sun 30-Oct-16 18:36:16

I live in Uddingston which is about 7 miles outside Glasgow but great amenities. Someone's actually set up a website about living here.

http://www.livinginuddingston.co.uk

Elllicam Sun 30-Oct-16 18:44:35

We live in East Kilbride, just south of Glasgow but actually not bad for getting to Cumbernauld via the motorway (I commute to Stirling for uni). You could get a house with a garden for £550 or just over. It has a lot for the kids, soft plays, parks and a lot of walks. South Lanarkshire council is great for kids classes, you can pay for a monthly card and they get unlimited classes and activities. There are tons of mother and toddler type things too (not sure how old your child is) and there is a mum group that does meet ups.

user1467306891 Sun 04-Dec-16 18:35:53

Thanks mums, all settled into our place, ended up finding a semi-detached in Airdrie smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now