Nervous New traveller

(16 Posts)
Nervous1971 Fri 24-Jun-16 14:04:52

I'm going to Iceland at the end of July for 3 nights. I have booked the flights/hotel/transfer to hotel as a package. But as to how to do other stuff I am clueless and nervous!! how to get to the airport (to Gatwick..I live in Sussex), how do you check in? how much luggage? should I just take hand luggage? how much money should I take? (no meals are paid for yet)? will I be able to use Visa Debit in Iceland?

I'm getting slightly panicky as this is the first time I have travelled (with family) abroad where I've had to organize things myself.
Any advice much appreciated? blush

ShanghaiDiva Fri 24-Jun-16 14:53:51

If you take hand luggage there are strict rules in place regarding liquids - no more that 100ml per item - therefore you may wish to put your toiletries in your hold luggage or buy what you need after you have cleaned passport control.
I usually withdraw cash when I am abroad and you can just google to see which local bank in Iceland will allow you to withdraw cash with your card. Also good to have a credit card.
I don't live in the UK, but for a short haul flight I aim to be at the airport 2 hours before the flight. Check in usually closes 30 minutes before the flight, so 2 hours leaves you plenty of time to check in, go through passport control, go to the loo and make your way to the gate - can sometimes be a 10 minute walk to get to the gate.
Hope some of the above is useful and have a great holiday!

nmg85 Fri 24-Jun-16 16:10:01

Who are you flying with? That will vary on what you can have luggage wise. For 3days you can easily take hand luggage but remember the restrictions on liquids. I would always have a credit card, nationwide is good for fees. Visa debit is accepted. To be honest in Iceland you can pay for most things with card so ISK isn't always needed. Any questions about Iceland ask I have been 7 times.

specialsubject Fri 24-Jun-16 16:40:06

Restrictions are liquids , gels and pastes.

Tell your bank where you are going and when so that your card will work.

Take the train to gatwick if convenient - but not the Gatwick express aka the sucker special.

Just to check you've got insurance?

Nervous1971 Sat 25-Jun-16 18:58:07

yes i have insurance....what's the hand luggage limit size? I'm flying with Icelandair....we could have one large hold suitcase for all 3 of us?

I have no credit card and don't want one...but do have Visa Debit. Would that be ok for a 3 day trip?

Many thanks

nmg85 Sat 25-Jun-16 19:42:48

A visa debit is ok but I always travel with a credit card just on case. You could do one checked bag or a hand luggage each all depends if you want to wait for baggage which at Keflavik isn't long.

specialsubject Sat 25-Jun-16 20:04:52

hand luggage limit will be on airline website.

chemenger Sun 26-Jun-16 10:51:36

We were in Iceland for four days last summer and never had any Icelandic currency, you can pay for absolutely everything with your debit card. Literally everybody speaks English and the people are very friendly and helpful.
Keflavik is a very efficient airport, we didn't wait long for our bags, the transfer buses are easy to manage too, they will make sure you get to your hotel ok.
You will enjoy yourselves, I'm sure. Iceland was the first foreign country I ever went to, 30 years ago, strangely. I went as a student with too little money, it was a hungry time!

mrsmortis Mon 27-Jun-16 09:40:24

Information on carry on bags can be found here:

www.icelandair.co.uk/information/baggage-information/carry-on-baggage/

For three nights I'd be fine with a carry on sized bag. But it depends on what you are used to.

Nervous1971 Wed 29-Jun-16 11:53:31

thanks everyone. I might take a small amount of icelandic cash and my debit card.

a silly question...but when you get off the plane, how to you find the transfer bus to the hotel? blush

MyHouse2011 Wed 29-Jun-16 12:10:37

Nervous, I made a very basic step by step airport guide for my DM who is a nervous traveller. If you want to pm me your email address I can forward it to you.

mrsmortis Wed 29-Jun-16 12:51:34

If the hotel run a regular shuttle service then I'd expect the information to be on their website, telling you where to go etc.

nmg85 Wed 29-Jun-16 15:00:16

The 'shuttle' that most people get is called the flybus and very easy to find. Keflavik airport is very smaller in comparison to most airports.

chemenger Thu 30-Jun-16 10:04:07

The Flybus is easy to find, well signposted from Arrivals (I think the Gray Line also runs an airport shuttle). The large coach takes you to the city (about 45 minutes) then they put you on minibuses to drop at the various hotels and hostels. It is very well organised and easy to manage. You confirm the hotel you are going to when you get on the coach at the airport, then they are organised with the minibuses when you get to Reykjavik.

MadameCholetsDirtySecret Thu 30-Jun-16 10:19:32

I wouldn't use a debit card on holiday - I have travelled the world and never use mine. I suggest getting a prepaid credit card. I don't know much about them, perhaps another poster can advise but it is safer to manage money abroad with a credit card.

MyHouse2011 Sat 06-Aug-16 23:02:39

Just wondering how it all went OP? I hope you had a great time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now