Talk

Advanced search

Majorca August

(15 Posts)
sephineee Thu 09-Jun-16 14:28:45

We have booked a holiday in Majorca in August for us and three dcs (nearly 2 - 6.5). I was hugely excited as it is our first 'beach' summer holiday with the kids and was planned to get dc3 on as tax only on the plane!

Having read some reviews online I am now worried its going to be too hot! Anyone have any tips for keeping little ones cool (and if its 11-3pm inside what do you do with them for 4 hours?!).

Any general tips on Majorca also appreciated - we're going to Puerto de pollensa.

BarbaraofSeville Fri 10-Jun-16 12:45:01

You could all have a proper afternoon siesta and then stay up later like Spaniards do, who keep even tiny DCs up until very late evening.

Pollensa town itself is nice, as are other parts of the island but it depends how much travelling around you want to do.

We generally stay in the south (Peguera) and have a day in Soller, a day on the east coast and a day up in the mountains to the north and might make it as far as Pollensa or even the Formentor lighthouse, which probably isn't a day out for DCs and then spend the rest of the time locally, but that's probably quite a lot of travelling around with young DCs.

I think there is a waterpark in Alcudia, which isn't far from PP and there is a bar on the pine walk which has a gin menu, which I suspect is part of the appeal of PP to Mumsnetters smile.

revealall Fri 10-Jun-16 14:46:55

It's really just a case of realising it will be boiling and planning accordingly. So beach/ activity in morning, long lunch, nap and back out to the water later.. Not being caught out having to walk everyone round some town or attraction at midday.
Just plan for lots of drinks and ice lollies and go for it.
There were some nice caves on the east coast. You get a " tour" on the underground stream to lights and music which is a cool option if you want to go somewhere different.

girlywhirly Fri 10-Jun-16 16:05:07

It was quite noticeable when I was there, that the Spanish don't take their very young DC to the beach until 4.30/5.00pm, when the sun isn't as fierce but the sea is lovely. Sunbeams and parasols on the beach can be quite expensive, in Minorca this year it was 19 euros for two beds and one parasol. There may be a reduction if going late afternoon. It's actually cheaper to buy lilo's and parasols from the shops and leave them behind.

Have lots of things to do for the DC if you need time indoors with the air-con on during the hottest part of the day, but really the best way to cool off is in water, either sea or swimming pool.

Bellebelle Sat 11-Jun-16 16:49:07

Definitely agree with PP's who have suggested adopting the Spanish timetable, eat later and make bedtimes later than usual and get them to nap/rest during the hottest part of the day. Our DD's are 7 & 10 now but they automatically know now that when we go to a hot country that they go inside or in the shade between 11am - 3pm as we've been going on holiday to Spain/Greece/Turkey since they were little. For days at the beach or waterpark they wear the long sleeved & leg surf suit things although I think we'll struggle to get DD1 in one of those this year so buying her a couple of cheap, oversized t-shirts to wear over swimwear.

3boys3dogshelp Sat 11-Jun-16 16:52:31

We went last year with 3 ( very fair skinned) children same ages as yours. It was absolutely fine. It is hot in the middle of the day but there was always a nice breeze. We stayed in a big family hotel and made use of the kids club/crèche/soft play and had a long lunch. Smallest slept for a couple of hours every lunch time then stayed up later. It was great and I would go again without hesitation.

Sallycinnamum Sat 11-Jun-16 16:55:23

We love PP and have been going there for years.

It is very hot in August. We've been there when it's been 40c, which is not very comfortable but thankfully is not like that every year!

I echo about going to the beach later in the day when it's quieter and much more pleasant.

You'll have a great time! We love it so much we're looking into buying an apartment out there with family.

NicknameUsed Sat 11-Jun-16 21:29:25

Anywhere in the Med is going to be hot in August. You have had some good advice on here already, so there isn't really anything else I can add except to say have a good holiday.

Hassled Sat 11-Jun-16 21:34:16

There's always a sea breeze, which helps. Just be sensible about it - early afternoon indoors/in and out of the pool/pottering about as you would at home. I think DCs sometimes need that downtime on holiday more than I realised at first - time just watching DVDs or whatever.

notquitegrownup2 Sat 11-Jun-16 21:44:00

We went to PP last year when the temperature was 38 - 40 all week. I thought it would be awful but it was fine. We lived in the pool - down early each morning and played on the lawn at the hotel - there was a nice cool breeze. We headed back to the airconditioned room at lunchtime for some indoor time - take or make a few games - skittle competition with pringle tubes and a ball, snap, toy cars/dolls, simple games, and snooze time - they will be tired after lots of swimming, and ready for lunch, then back to the pool in the afternoon. The beach is lovely once the sun has cooled - the sand was too hot in the daytime to spend much time there, but you can potter onto the beach for an evening paddle and walk along the prom if you want to. Enjoy

Passthecake30 Sat 11-Jun-16 21:47:27

I went last year with my 2....it wasn't actually that hot, hot days were 28-30c and it actually rained continuously for 3 days....just like England grin

concertplayer Sun 12-Jun-16 22:14:23

Lots of the bigger hotels have entertainment on in the evenings.

Longdistance Sun 12-Jun-16 22:19:17

Yep, siesta is your friend. Lots of activities am, lunch, then a siesta to take you through to the evening entertainment.

Have a fab time 🌞

sephineee Mon 13-Jun-16 09:05:29

Wow, thanks everyone, hadn't checked this for a couple of days!

We've booked a villa with a teeny little pool, have emailed to see if there is air con. I fear not but the pool will help! Ok, sounds like naps are the aim of the game - everyone bar dc1and I will be very happy about that..!

I spoke to someone at school who had been last year during a heatwave and said it was really hard work. She said previous years had been fine and much cooler so fingers crossed we just get average. Your 28-30 sounds grand passthecake!

Good tip on the parasol/lilos - thank you. Is beach early am a good plan? I was planning it that way round actually.

Anyone that's been to PP - where is the nearest/best grocery store. Not planning on car hire, just taxi from airport and then bus for any day trips. We are staying in the Gotmar area so probs 2km walk to the pine walk?

Thanks all - getting excited again now!

notquitegrownup2 Mon 13-Jun-16 13:21:57

If you google Gotmar Pollensa and get the map up then there is a little supermarket right on the roundabout under the word Gotmar. I'm sure there will be others nearby too - there are plenty around. Trip advisor is entertaining but also useful for little details like that.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now