Talk

Advanced search

Nice areas in Devon/Dorset or Cornwall at a push?

(10 Posts)
thjl2016 Wed 08-Jun-16 13:43:14

Hi

We've left it a bit late to book a week away so all our preferred options (Salcombe, Sidmouth, Polperro) are looking unlikely.
Any suggestions for areas in Devon or Dorset? Quiet but not too quiet, near the coast and family friendly as we've got 16 month old twins. Thanks in advance smile

mummymeister Wed 08-Jun-16 15:31:24

when we go to cornwall we stay HERE not far from polperro and they have a swimming pool and farm animals and are very toddler friendly. not sure when you are looking to go but if it is outside the main 6 weeks school hols then you will probably find space. what is your budget like?

thjl2016 Wed 08-Jun-16 18:04:04

Thank you, looks lovely. Our budget isn't great- about £700? We weren't planning a real holiday this year as we've just moved and the new house needs loads of work sad

mummymeister Thu 09-Jun-16 14:05:41

when are you looking to go / what time of year?

BrandNewAndImproved Thu 09-Jun-16 14:10:36

Oh I've just came back from challabrough bay near bigbury on Sea. It's about 20 minutes from salcombe and really lovely.

However the amount for the cheapest caravan in the summer holidays is a joke.
400 m to f for may half term, 247 the week after and then £1400 for the same amount of time but during the 6 weeks hols.

No wonder no one wants to go on holiday in this country when you can go abroad with almost guaranteed nice weather, decent pool and beach for the same amount.

Challabrough was really lovely, the park and caravan and facilities were nice and clean and the surrounding areas are also lovely. I wouldn't pay £1400 for the pleasure though.

thjl2016 Sun 12-Jun-16 21:47:21

Hi, thanks for the response I'll look into Challabrough. I know, it's ridiculous- a UK holiday is just about our only option as we're not brave enough to tackle airports or ferries with the twins just yet! Apart from that, I actually love UK holidays but being a teacher, even pre-kids the cost was prohibitive.
mummymeister, this year I can sneak away for 16th July as I'm just finishing maternity leave and doing some supply work before new job starts in September.

MrsEricBana Sun 12-Jun-16 21:50:43

Hi, Polurrian Bay Hotel in Cornwall? It is v child friendly but really relaxing for adults too, gorgeous settings and has a 3 night deal on that week then book extra nights on top? See www.polurrianhotel.com

BrandNewAndImproved Sun 12-Jun-16 21:53:54

It really is nice, there's nothing there just the caravan park on the beach. Beach was lovely as well. It's a quiet site and even the swimming pool was clean without being so full of chlorine it burnt your eyes.

I'm definitely going back again.

TwentyOneGuns Sun 12-Jun-16 21:56:12

The Isle of Purbeck (Swanage/Corfe Castle/Jurassic Coast area) in Dorset is the most perfect place in the world in my opinion and would tick all of your boxes. Swanage is a great family friendly resort and is like stepping back in time but in a good way.

thjl2016 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:39:49

Brilliant, thanks for all the suggestions! We're bound to find something among those! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now