Talk

Advanced search

Cyprus - Would you go at the moment?

(20 Posts)
ukgirlatheart Mon 06-Jun-16 16:03:31

Due to recent events Im not happy about going to Eygpt, Turkey and some areas of Greece.

My husband thinks Cyprus should be a no go at the moment.

Would you still go?

HyacinthBouquetNo1 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:38:30

Of course, we are going in a couple of weeks. Cyprus atm has a lower security threat than the UK so no reason at all to worry!

Queenofthebrae Mon 06-Jun-16 16:44:51

We were there about 8 weeks ago and I was a little apprehensive beforehand but my DH reassured me and we had a great time, no sign of trouble at all. We hired a car and toured the island and felt completely safe at all times. Lovely holiday destination.

Penfold007 Mon 06-Jun-16 16:51:22

Yes I would happily go to Cyprus.

specialsubject Mon 06-Jun-16 17:27:14

Where in Greece? Their tourist areas are fine and they need you!

mrsnec Mon 06-Jun-16 17:44:51

I live in Cyprus and feel very safe here. More than I would in other parts of Europe actually and they handled recent events very well.

I would have no issues with Greece either but get the apprehension with turkey. I also don't think I'd go to Egypt again at the moment now but I don't think they've ever coped with the terrorist threats there. I haven't been in about 6 years and felt unsafe then.

ChocolateRaisin Mon 06-Jun-16 17:47:11

Cyprus is fine, as Hyacinth said, it's safer than the uk.

Rainshowers Mon 06-Jun-16 22:44:43

We were in Cyprus a few weeks ago and it felt absolutely fine. Like Queen, I was slightly apprehensive when we booked (mainly because we got such a good deal!) but there was no need to be.

easel14 Mon 06-Jun-16 22:48:45

Why on earth would Cyprus be unsafe? Gorgeous place to go and lower threat then UK. I would love to be going there this summer.

bumblefeline Tue 07-Jun-16 13:43:53

Cyprus is fine, my parents are off there on Thursday for another long stay and my sister lives there.

ukgirlatheart Tue 07-Jun-16 15:58:29

as it's near Turkey that's what I was thinking with recent events etc

easel14 Tue 07-Jun-16 17:25:51

No it's not physically as close as some of the Greek islands so they haven't experienced migrant crisis there- absolutely fine in my opinion. Enjoy!

Effendi Wed 08-Jun-16 03:41:08

I also live in Cyprus. No problems at all and I'm not worried in the slightest.

mrsnec Wed 08-Jun-16 06:07:29

I live close to the border with the TRNC. You wouldn't even know you were close and Turkey doesn't really have that much to do with it anyway. And the nearest border to some of the popular resorts is on UK sovereign land.

I know of people that are worried though although they really shouldn't be. Those people still travel but book with the big carriers or reputable tour operators package holidays because they feel like they'd get looked after better if anything did happen over just booking budget flights and accommodation. They get comfort from that but I'm not sure what difference it would make.

branofthemist Wed 08-Jun-16 06:13:28

When we booked our holiday (we have just got back) in November we decided to not return to Cyprus. Just because it was difficult to tell if things would settle or get worse and I didn't want to be so close to turkey and Syria.

We opted for kefalonia instead. But if I was booking now, I would book Cyprus.

whirlygirly Wed 08-Jun-16 06:31:55

Colleague just returned from the Turkish area of Cyprus and had fantastic time, no safety concerns at all. He has v young dcs and extended family have a house that they use regularly.

I wouldn't go to Egypt or turkey but I would probably go to Cyprus.

chipsandpeas Wed 08-Jun-16 20:44:37

i was in protaras in cyprus in may and it was no different from the past times i was in cyprus

massistar Tue 14-Jun-16 11:07:15

Yes, just back. Had a great time and felt very safe.

kittykat8545 Tue 14-Jun-16 12:27:53

Although I've never been there, Cyprus looks like the place to have a relaxing vacation. If I had the chance I'd definitely go. smile

Bremain Tue 14-Jun-16 13:43:12

I would go to Cyprus, despite it being located so far over towards Syria etc.

I would not go to Turkey or Egypt or northern Africa at the moment though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now