French Holiday Villages - Swimwear 😖

(45 Posts)
webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 14:12:13

Having read a previous thread I have been tempted to look at Siblu Holidays in the Brittany area in the summer. All looks perfect for my two very lively boys!! Perfect apart from the swimwear requirements. Husband and boys categorically refuse to don the required "budgie smugglars" but it seems to be necessary at most French sites. Does anybody know of anywhere that doesn't have these strict rules or should we just give up and go to a different country?!

jenpetronus Fri 03-Jun-16 14:32:30

Different country! It is the law here - only bermuda style shorts on the beach, sorry to say.

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 14:39:47

Oh dear. I know it's the law in public pools but surely campsites aren't public? A real shame though because the French places certainly look to have the best facilities!

Orac Fri 03-Jun-16 16:09:07

I ruled out a similar holiday some years ago for the same reason. No way would DSs wear those things. At least you found out before booking.

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-16 16:15:36

But they don't need to be skimpy speedos , most styles of Lycra swimwear are permitted including shorts style (but not long legged).

Abraid2 Fri 03-Jun-16 16:18:26

Agree with LIZS about the shorts style speedos. Also, when they get there and see everyone else wearing them, they will change their views.

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:22:38

Thanks everyone. We're currently trying to find a compromise! I have heard of some villages that don't enforce the rule but I suppose they need to be prepared for it.

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-16 16:30:30

www.speedostore.co.uk/mens-panel-aquashort/809196S116.html

This sort of thing, far more modest !

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:42:25

Thanks LIZS. I'm still quite sure it's the most flattering of swimwear for my husband but I've promised not to take pictures! I'm just glad I don't have to wear a thong!grin

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:43:04

I meant not sure!

Kittyrobin Fri 03-Jun-16 16:45:04

Oh my, we are going to a French holiday park. I never knew this. Where can I find out about this? Are there any requirements for women?

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:50:25

Not that I know of kittyrobin. I certainly hope not!

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:51:42

You should probably check with the holiday park directly. If they say they have no rules let me know and I'll book it too wink

Kittyrobin Fri 03-Jun-16 16:56:02

Gosh, this has kind of made my day in a cruel way, now I'm imaging my 18 stone dh in a tight pair of speedos.
I'll have to look into it.

SqueegyBeckinheim Fri 03-Jun-16 16:57:12

DH was fine with a pair of not too long or baggy shorts style trunks, but was told to remove his rash vest. Which was a pain as he's pretty hairy and finds putting sunscreen on a real chore.

Does anyone know why the French seem so oddly interested in policing men's swimming trunks?

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 16:57:15

And when will you break the news to him...? grin

yumscrumfatbum Fri 03-Jun-16 16:58:35

We mostly holiday in France and this is often the norm. Like others say it becomes less of an issue when everyone is wearing them. My DH isn't bothered and neither is my younger son but my teenage boy feels very self conscious in them as they leave little to the imagination. I buy him budgie smuggler type and the shorts type. He wears both at once and this provides a level of support that makes them less revealing! They usually won't allow t shirts in the pool either so we get rash vests to protect skin from the sun

austenozzy Fri 03-Jun-16 16:59:35

I just wore some swimming shorts that looked a bit like blue football shorts at a eurocamp in France with rule. Nobody said a word. There were people with the Lycra shorts version of speedos, didn't look at all weird.

yumscrumfatbum Fri 03-Jun-16 17:03:24

Squeegy they always says it's for hygiene reasons. I think it's because you could have worn short style trunks out and about and they could then make the pool dirty?

allegretto Fri 03-Jun-16 17:07:31

The holiday village we went to last year had a nudist beach - suddenly the speedos didn't seem so bad.

Kittyrobin Fri 03-Jun-16 17:07:58

hmmm perhaps after he's agreed to take the dcs and they are all excited so he can't back out.
It's hard enough to get him to go swimming in big baggy shorts let alone if he's going to wear bloomin speedos.

nulgirl Fri 03-Jun-16 17:08:04

We're going this summer and have bought my ds some tight trunk-like ones. Dh refuses to wear them. We were at a camp 2 years ago that didn't enforce the rule as most of its clientele was British, German or Dutch and none of them wore them. You could spot the odd Frenchman as they were the only ones in speedos. Perhaps you'll get lucky and they won't be strict.

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 17:08:59

There we are then. They should be grateful I'm not booking a nudist holiday smile

webjunkie Fri 03-Jun-16 17:10:32

@nulgirl. Could you possibly tell me which one that was?

SqueegyBeckinheim Fri 03-Jun-16 17:16:30

Thanks yumscrum , but it still seems odd. You could just have well been wearing your budgie smugglers under your clothes all day and getting all sweaty, that's just as unhygienic as going in the pool in shorts you've been wearing out and about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now