Talk

Advanced search

Great beach destination with no driving required for travel sick 3yo?

(15 Posts)
eversomuch Wed 01-Jun-16 14:27:07

Our 3yo gets travel sick very easily, pretty much as soon as the car starts moving. We don't have a car ourselves, so maybe it's partly bc he's not used to it. We went away last weekend and the poor boy threw up several times; now he's reluctant even to get on a bus (he's usually fine on the bus, but did get sick once when he was 2, and he's thrown up on short flights too).

There's not much medication for under 4s available and what there is knocks the child out, so having to drug him most of the time is not an option. The wrist bands haven't helped either.

We had been thinking about two weeks in Italy, part on the beach and part in the mountains, but after this weekend we're thinking we really need an alternative holiday plan that wouldn't require much or any driving, but we'd still like somewhere properly hot and summery (ie, not the UK).

Wondering if anyone has ideas for nice beach destinations within a 2-hr flight of London that would put us right on the beach, without having to hire a car or travel much further.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

LBOCS2 Wed 01-Jun-16 14:29:49

How is he on trains? You could Eurostar plus TGV to get somewhere like the south of France?

Artandco Wed 01-Jun-16 14:44:04

you can get travel sickness stuff for babies also, and those bands on wrists help

I would say most places you will need to travel as airports are rarely at the beach. So travel needed in uk to uk airport, and again other end

What about Croatia? Dubrovnik airport is fairly close by

Artandco Wed 01-Jun-16 14:47:02

Joy rides tablets are fine for 3+

Costacoffeeplease Wed 01-Jun-16 14:48:58

Nice airport is pretty close to the town, faro is too. How is he on trains? You could fly to Lisbon and get the train to cascais?

Northernlurker Wed 01-Jun-16 14:51:13

Barcelona? You could do train from airport and then the beach is easily reached by bus or walking depending on where you stay. We went last year and it was about 15 minutes on the bus.

LBOCS2 Wed 01-Jun-16 15:33:08

There's a metro in Barcelona too so you could just use that.

ChickyDuck Wed 01-Jun-16 16:01:29

Malaga airport is very close to both the town and the beach. It's a lovely city in the summer, lots of Spanish tourists so it feels quite tipico, or there are various resorts either direction down the coast if that's what you are wanting.

SJane45S Wed 01-Jun-16 19:02:39

Second Nice - short flight, great place and lots of reasonably priced apartments on Airbnb so you don't have to eat out all the time (unless you want to!). The beach at Nice isn't hugely small child friendly for swimming though as it slopes sharply into the sea. The beach at Villefranche is very very child friendly though and a very short train ride away. Barcelona also great!

Misty9 Fri 03-Jun-16 07:36:50

Valencia is lovely and ha both beach and city. Can.metro from airport. My friends have similar issues with their ds but have been using anti sickness drugs since he was under 3 I'm pretty sure.

SeemsLegit Fri 03-Jun-16 07:39:04

Majorca is only 2 hours away but I don't know about specific resorts

NeverWasABrownie Fri 03-Jun-16 07:42:24

Menorca. Villages like Binibeca and Punta Prima are 20 mins from the airport, with lots of villas (try villaplus) and a few hotels in PP. gorgeous kid-friendly sandy beaches too.

icklekid Fri 03-Jun-16 07:43:26

Fly to Pisa and get train to Via Reggio or similar resort very easily

TheBeanpole Fri 03-Jun-16 07:58:33

We're going to Portugal today- fly to Faro and then local train along the coast to near Tavira. Village and beach in walking distance or you could hire bikes.

Appletreeblossom123 Fri 03-Jun-16 12:38:25

I second Menorca. It's only a small island, so wherever you are in Menorca, it won't be that long a journey from the airport. Santo Tomas is a nice resort for children. If you book a package tour then the coach from the airport will be included and from memory the journey takes about half an hour. However, I'm sure you could find a nice resort even closer to the airport. The airport is at Mahon, so you could check out a map of Menorca to find those resorts closest to Mahon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now