Talk

Advanced search

Help Spending money and packing in a carry on!

(10 Posts)
charmingtownrisingsun Mon 30-May-16 16:02:26

We go away in a few weeks and I'm starting to panic. Im determined to get everything I need for the trip in a carry on.
Its a beach holiday so it'l be hot one week.
How much spending money would you take for all inclusive i've thought 250 should be enough.
The luggage allowance is 10kg

lovelyupnorth Mon 30-May-16 16:09:47

We did 2 weeks in Sweden with just carry on. Off to the states for a fortnight at Christmas and again just using 1 carry on bag each. Can be easily done if you don't need towels or lots of shoes.

Money. Should be fine. But all inclusive is not for me. It's killing tourism in lots of countries.

PeaStalks Mon 30-May-16 17:04:27

Why on a much looked forward to holiday do you have to scrimp about and take only a pair of knickers. I really don't get it.
If you were backpacking around the world and carrying it on your back I could understand it, but to save a few measly ££s?
AI where? Is it in a resort or miles from anywhere? Do you like to get around or is it a week by the pool? If you aren't taking much luggage presumably you'll have to buy toiletries especially sun cream, and towels.

lovelyupnorth Mon 30-May-16 17:45:28

Didn't feel we scrimped on one pair of knickers. And guess what hotels tend to have towels and toilteries.

Again for the states we don't need towels, bedding etc or even coats as it'll be hot.

And you'll never get me any where near an AI resort would rather have pins in my eyes. But then again we also tend to avoid most areas where Brits go on holiday.

PeaStalks Mon 30-May-16 17:58:38

Not keen on AI myself which is why I forgot they supply towels, at least if it's 4* or above. I usually take beach towels though, or buy some locally. Even for a basic beach holiday I just think for an extra £30 - £40 I'd rather take my own stuff, especially suncream.
I have stayed in AI when DC were little and you could if you wanted spend almost nothing. I usually found we wanted to get out and try local restaurants and visit a water park which bumped up the spending.

AnneEyhtMeyer Mon 30-May-16 18:39:26

Laughing at the people using this as an opportunity to boast about their superiority in avoiding AI!

Anyway...

If it is AI then spending money will be fine.

Pre-order your sun cream from Boots at the airport and collect just before your flight so it isn't part of your luggage allowance.

Towels will be provided but we always take a couple of sarongs for the sunbeds. They take no space in the case and have many uses.

Wear one pair of shoes and pack another.

You do not need as many clothes as you think you do.

I always used to travel with just hand luggage, it was great. Can't at the minute due to DD wanting to take the whole house with her, but looking forward to doing it again one day.

charmingtownrisingsun Mon 30-May-16 19:33:16

I don't see it as scrimping at all I'm not a cheapskate. when I have travelled in the past ive always taken far too much and probably only used half. I just wanted a little helpful advice as I'm not keen on carry everything and the kitchen sink. There is nothing wrong with AI when you have small children and want a great resort for families.

PeaStalks Mon 30-May-16 19:46:32

There is nothing wrong with AI when you have small children and want a great resort for families.
Absolutely. It fitted our needs perfectly when DC were little. I wouldn't choose it now they are older but it's a way of getting a chance to relax when DC are very young and need constant supervision.
I still like to take the kitchen sink though blush

emotionsecho Tue 31-May-16 17:00:24

Anne has given some excellent advice re sun cream and sarongs. The major problem with hand luggage only is the restriction on liquids - 100ml only for each item and all in one size limited plastic bag.

You will only need swimsuits/bikinis, lightweight cotton dress/skirt, tops, shorts, underwear, etc.

One pair of shoes on and a pair of flat sandals.

I tried a new way of packing which was shown on the DM online site and it worked perfectly! Might be worth googling, difficult to explain but you pack as if the case is standing on its feet.

lovelyupnorth Tue 31-May-16 17:26:38

And roll your clothes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now