Talk

Advanced search

Turkey alanya

(10 Posts)
redkaybee Sat 28-May-16 10:57:58

Hi
I'm a single mum and was planning a trip with another single mum friend. She has panic booked a cheap all inclusive to alanya near Antalya in turkey - and called yesterday to say I should book too.
I have huge reservations about turkey due to all the recent terrorist attacks and bordering Syria.
Does anyone have any thoughts on
A) the safety in turkey
B) the area she has booked - I don't want to end up in a 'hot blackpool' smile
Any advice welcomed!
Many thanks

MorticiaLiverish Tue 31-May-16 13:41:24

Alanya is 400 miles away from the Syrian border, same distance more or less as London and Edinburgh. Would bombings in London stop you from travelling to Edinburgh on holiday? No.

Attacks have taken place in Ankara (525 miles away) and Istanbul (825 miles away) but these were politically motivated and not carried out by terrorists.

I came back from Turkey yesterday and felt safer there than I did in Manchester when we landed! The security in the Turkish airport was fantastic and although it takes longer to get through, it is worth it to feel safe.

No idea about the resort though sorry, I didn't stay near there.

Thatrabbittrickedme Tue 31-May-16 15:08:08

Whether you are prepared to travel there or not is a very personal decision that only you can make based on the facts of what's been happening in the region and how much of a risk taker you want to be.

I personally would not go to Turkey if you paid me at the moment. It's a risk, no one predicted the attack last year, and there hadn't been any attacks prior to it. However you choose to look at it, it's not a risk I'm prepared to take for the sake of a bit of cheap sun. It's even cheaper than usual currently for a reason as well....

SooticaTheWitchesCat Tue 31-May-16 22:06:56

Alanya is just as safe as any other holiday resort and probably safer than many cities. It is a long way from the border of Syria. The attacks have been against the government and in the capital of Ankara and in Istanbul. I'm sure people are still travelling to the French coast this year and are still travelling to Belgium, after the attacks in those countries.

Alanya isn't like Blackpool. I haven't been but my parents have and they said it was very nice.

The only reason holidays are cheap at the moment is because of too much scaremongering in the media and people not knowing anything about Turkey saying they wont go. I love turkey and would go tomorrow if I could.

I would be more concerned that the cheap AI hotel doesn't have good food. Have a read up on Trip Advisor and if necessary take some extra money to eat out. Cheap AI in Turkey is often very basic.

Jaimx86 Tue 31-May-16 22:44:50

Alanya is in a very beautiful area of Turkey. Why would events in Syria put you off? DP and I have already booked our hole this year, buying we had the time off work would add in a bargain trip to Turkey

The food is delicious and the people are very friendly.

Ignore the Islamaphobea hmmwink

Thatrabbittrickedme Wed 01-Jun-16 12:23:27

Islamophobia ffs! This issue has nothing to do with islamophobia and your comment is highly offensive Jaim.

As I said, whether to go or not is a personal decision based on personal views on safety and risk. I did not comment on the place itself, just that I personally would not go at the current time.

redkaybee Tue 07-Jun-16 23:28:00

Thanks for the input.
I haven't booked anything yet - still deliberating. Some of the hotels in the area are not opening this year due to recent 'events' I have been informed.
Traveling to countries regardless of political unrest is something I have done in the past.
Traveling as a single parent with a 3 year old to a country where there is political unrest does make me deliberate -( having a rifle shoved in my face and the hotel being put under a 5pm curfew while helicopters circle has happened in the past! - not super relaxing )
Anyone know anything more about Antalya itself?

mozzrules Tue 07-Jun-16 23:57:52

The 'events' you are referring to are almost certainly to do with the big falling out Turkey has had with Russia. The area in and around Antalya is traditionally very popular with Russian tourists and they are not visiting this year, but that's nothing to do with terrorism - it's a political dispute to do with the Turks shooting down a Russian plane.

As others who know Turkey have said, there's not likely to be any 'political unrest' in Alanya, which is a very nice tourist resort, with lovely beaches and scenery. The problems have been in Ankara and Istanbul and the vast majority have targeted the police.

By the way, there's a difference between Alanya and Antalya - Antalya is the main city in the area, and also (a bit confusingly) the name of the province. I presume you are staying in Alanya itself, which is a tourist resort, mostly known for its sandy beaches. There's also a fortress to explore and plenty of other historic sites near by. If you are in an AI resort and have a young child, then it's really most important to make sure you are happy with the hotel - check TripAdvisor and read lots of reviews and you should get a pretty good impression.

Whether you like Alanya or not really depends on what you are looking for - what type of places do you like? Personally, I prefer smaller places in Turkey like Kalkan, Oludeniz, Fethiye, Akyaka but that's only individual preference.

Thatrabbit I don't really understand why you are commenting if you have no personal knowledge of the country or the situation. Unfortunately, I do think that the fact that British people are mostly still prepared to travel to France but not to Turkey, is certainly due to fear of the unknown, at the very least, if not downright Islamophobia.

SooticaTheWitchesCat Sat 11-Jun-16 17:16:59

I agree that the 'events' are most likely to be the fact that Russia is advising not to go because of a fall out with Turkey. The Antalya are is very popular with Russian guests so if they aren't some hotels will be struggling.

concertplayer Sun 12-Jun-16 22:00:38

I know the country well. One thing is sure it will be bloody hot !!
You have more chance of being struck down walking around in the midday sun than by any terrorist attack! Hats and cream!
You can swim in the ruins, eat some of the best food in the world, and all
at a knockdown price.
I went to Turkey during the Gulf war- not a plane or a tourist in sight.
tbh I would not currently travel anywhere at the moment. Not just terrorism but long delays at ports etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now