Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Brittany Ferries 3 berth Commodore cabin & travel cot?

(20 Posts)
MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 24-May-16 08:53:23

We are planning a summer break to France next year, and are going to use the overnight Portsmouth - St Malo ferry. From reading on here it looks like the best bet for a cabin (for space, and given there are four of us including a four and two year old) will be the Commodore one, but the boat on this route only offers the 3 berth Commodore (I think the boat is the Bretagne).

I wondered if anyone had experience of this boat/cabin, and could advise whether I could fit a travel cot/ready bed for my 2 year old in there easily? I don't know if it'd be against ferry rules though!!!

Thanks in advance.

dreamingofsun Tue 24-May-16 09:18:17

could you top and tail them in one of the beds? that's what we used to do when ours were that age. i didn't use that cabin, but the 4 berth outer ones didn't have a lot of floor space once all the beds were down

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 24-May-16 09:32:40

That's an idea actually, thank you!

I guess I have visions of them kicking each other and not sleeping! I also actually don't particularly want to haul a travel cot with us when I'm planning on renting accommodation which has one.

dreamingofsun Tue 24-May-16 10:32:30

directly we boarded the ferry we headed for the bar and got seats right at the back. that way we could watch the shows and also the sunset/portsmouth as we left. kids had a great time, went to bed a bit later than usual and slept like logs. happy days

have you got any snacks for breakfast - to eat in the cabin. i found this much easier than trying to buy anything as the morning was always a bit rushed

expotition Tue 24-May-16 14:35:51

We do this regularly & it works very well. Commodore cabins on the bretagne are very roomy, with curtain between twin bunks and sofabunk. Living room end has loads of space for travel cot. It's another world from cramming cot between bunks in smaller cabins. Enjoy!

expotition Tue 24-May-16 14:36:38

Brittany Ferries will provide cot for small surcharge iirc.

GreenMarkerPen Tue 24-May-16 14:39:53

when dc were little we put them on a duvet on the floor to avoid them falling out.

twilightcafe Tue 24-May-16 14:47:09

I used to put DC on the floor in their sleeping bags with a duvet on the floor.

expotition Tue 24-May-16 15:09:54

Oh and in commodore cabin they will deliver breakfast to your cabin I think smile

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Tue 24-May-16 15:43:09

Oh thanks everyone - sorry was working!!

Dreamingofsun - I will definitely need to be organised about snacks etc! Thank you for your tips.

Expotition - that's great to know, thank you. Breakfast in my cabin sounds delightful! I saw I can book a cot on there, but they say it's up to 2 years old (no idea why - size?!).

GreenMarkerPen - that would probably work with my son actually, as he's constantly falling out of bed. Alternatively I'm wondering about those travel bed guards.

Twilightcafe - aha!

OK, it looks like I have lots of options which is brilliant. I have these visions of the boat swaying and children toppling everywhere which is probably unwarranted!

expotition Tue 24-May-16 16:22:19

It's a pretty standard travel cot, I'd guess they're just trying to get you to pay for a bed for older children.

Barbeasty Wed 25-May-16 08:20:16

I'm pretty sure they will provide the bed guards too. I don't know if you can prebook or whether you just go and request them at the information desk when you get on board.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Wed 25-May-16 08:27:24

Cynically, you're probably right Expotition!

Barbeasty - that'd be great if they did that. I might make some enquiries...!!

Barbeasty Wed 25-May-16 09:53:37

Found it

I knew I'd seen it somewhere on the site!

jenpetronus Wed 25-May-16 10:56:00

I would go for the Commodore every time. There is loads of room for a cot. They are worth the extra money every time - not only do you have a butler bringing your free breakfast in the morning, you get a lovely fridge full of soft drinks and macaroons and stuff too. Have they released the sailing schedules for next summer yet? I haven't checked, but just that they move the boats around and some boats have nicer commodores than others (Pont Aven is lovely) get in quick though as they sell out, particularly in the summer in no time. If you want a discount code pm me.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Thu 26-May-16 16:40:59

Barbeasty - fabulous! Thank you.

Jenpetronus - I emailed BF about something the other day and they said next year's schedules will be released in July time, but need to sort my gite out first, to get the discount so I can be organised and get the ferry organised. I think I'm getting a 10% discount on the ferry via my gite but if you know of anything better please let me know!

jenpetronus Thu 26-May-16 16:59:30

We have a gite. For actual guests there is a 20% discount (25% for a 2 week window just after they launch the crossings!) for people travelling here who are not staying with us we can give 10% If you want the code for that I'm happy to send it to you (has to be by pm as they are not too happy for them to be posted publicly. Apparently)

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Thu 26-May-16 19:27:35

Wow Jen that's really good!

Your gite looks absolutely lovely, and in such a great location. I have dreams one day of owning a place ourselves down in France, although yet to persuade DH. Plus I have no idea of the practicalities/taxes etc which I am sure are not to be sniffed at.

I'm rather wedded to the idea of having a pool for our holiday next year, but I will let you know if I change my mind as otherwise your place is ideal.

jenpetronus Thu 26-May-16 19:32:59

grin No worries, it's actually fab - the taxes for one gite are not so bad, as to practicalities, well Saturday can be a bit frantic, but I have every other day off - which has been great to be around for DS's & we've met some brilliant peope over the years.

You're very welcome to the code if it helps, wherever you end up.

MustBeDueSomeBetterFeet Thu 26-May-16 19:34:38

Thanks so much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now